1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jvc x30 good price?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by mr. shr, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys,
    Saw a demo model of above with 600 hrs on the clock for 1.7k
    I actually wanted to see the epson 9000 but they can't get one in until next month by which point the demo JVC will most probably have gone.

What would you guys advise I do?
    Hold out for them to get the Epsom back in for 2k or go for the used JVC now for 1.7k
  2. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Keep looking you might be able to get a new jvc one for that price or one with lower hours
  3. toddy28

toddy28 Member

Ratings:
    +344
  4. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that. I see that is says graded stock though. Does that mean its used?
  5. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    OK thanks for that. It says its graded though. Does this mean its used?
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    I wouldn't buy a used X30 with 600 hours on the lamp unless it comes with a brand new V3 lamp. The earlier version of the lamp sometimes fails at those hours and if it's used you won't have the JVC warranty to fall back on and get a free lamp replacement that they seem to have offered many X30 owners. It is this reason why I decided to go for the newer model as it has a redesigned lamp and new power supply (still waiting for confirmation of if it is a DC lamp but in any case JVC claim 4000 hours instead of 3000 hours, so there must be some improvement).

I know I'm not popular with X30 owners trying to sell used examples, but if you have to buy a new V3 lamp at £250(?) or so then it's not such a saving over new. Personally I wouldn't pay more than £1,400 for a used X30 now even with the 3D glasses and emitter as an extra £250 for lamp would take it up to £1,650 which even then is only a little less than brand new ones have been selling for with warranty. JVC don't allow warranties to be transfered so used models are a gamble and the price has to reflect that IMHO.
  7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,745
    graded stock means its either used, repaired or ex demo with 1 year warranty

if you`re quick you will still find one or two at £1799 brand new with 3 yrs JVC HD World warranty
  8. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My mistake, the one I've been offered is 1.8k not 1.7k.

So where are there new ones going for 1.8K?
    The shop tell me that I get a full five year warrany on this one and and claim a free bulb.

But at that price, should I be considering a brand new Epsom 9000? The demo today was with the JVC and an Epsom 6000. We preferred the JVC by far but really I'd like sample the 9000 along side the JVC.

So it's fair to say that the 600hr demo JVC X30 with 5 years warranty and a free bulb is not really an amazing deal?

What I really want is to be able to go to one place, see these units in action at a properly set up dem room and then make my decision that way. Just don't seem to have that option near me.
  9. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +651
    Brand new for £1795 with 3D and 3 year warranty JVC stock.
    I've sent a PM :)
  10. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    A forum member had negotiated a deal at Richers for an ex dem with 5 yr warranty and free bulb for £1549 so at £1.7 get a brand new one from Ideal av at £1.8 which is a better deal.
  11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +651
    The one I nearly bought from Richer Sounds was a good deal. I went for a new one as better support - JVC stock - latest lamp and wasn't much more for peace of mind, and you're supporting the forum advertisers which keeps this site free.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    By the way Ideal may still have an Epson 9000 they can demo against an X30 if you can get to Leeds area (Normanton).
  13. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    My thoughts entirely Jazz, just a different forum sponsor as he's nearer for me. But because I didn't want the 3D stuff a 2D X35 wasn't massively dearer either and less worry about lamp failure/early dimming (I hope) otherwise I'll be shouting pretty loud on here if there is. ;) Just frustrating to have to wait for it to arrive...

OP, the used deal you've been offered isn't that great IMHO. If you want to upgrade in the near future then bear in mind that the value of the older model will fall faster too, so make sure you get a really good deal with the full warranty if you go for an X30.
  14. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The deal I've been offered is not 1.7 but actually 1.8k
    It's from Richer!!

But they seem to be offering 5 years (not 3) and a free bulb.

I fully agree with supporting the forum members and would love to go up to see Alan at his place, but he's just too far away from us.
    I've left him a message.

All this talk about the x30. Should I not be bothering with the Epson then? Similar prices overall.
  15. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    If you've seen both and prefer the JVC, then why go for the one you don't like? The Richer deal is 5 years of their warranty, which included 1 year of the JVC warranty. A JVC world dealer like Al or Ricky would give 3 years JVC warranty which is better IMHO.

As said earlier, IMHO you either need to buy a used unwarrantied model for £1,400 or less (to allow for buying another lamp if you are like many others and it dims early). Otherwise IMHO you may as well pay a little more and get a brand new one (while stocks last of course as the X30 is discontinued incase you hadn't picked up on this) from a JVC world dealer. 600 hours is quite a lot, so it may well be an earlier build as it's taken me 3 years to clock only a little more hours than that on my HD350.
  16. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    The 5 year deal from Richers is probably 1yr with JVC + 4yr with Richers so although 5yr maybe not as good as a 3yr JVC warranty.

JVC is better in 2D and if you have a pretty dark room, 9000 a bit better for 3D and if you have a light coloured walled room but you may need a React screen to get the best from it.Ask Alan he will tell you which is best for you if you tell him your room conditions.
  17. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I only saw the Epson 6000 today against the X30 and preferred the X30 by far. But thought it unfair to rule out the Epson based on that viewing as the 9000 is the actual competitor to the x30.
  18. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    Oh sorry, I'm not familiar with the Epson range. I'd defer to someone more familiar.
  19. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So how much do I need to spend on a screen to do the x30 or 9000 justice?

I can see me getting a 4k projector in a few years time when the prices come down so would like to get a screen now that would compliment that upgrade in the future. So what screen would you advise please?

(Electric, about 2.4m wide)
  20. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    What are your room conditions are they near batcave (darkish walls carpet ceiling) or normal lounge (light walls ceiling carpet) do you watch with ambient light or not.These are the things that determine what colour of screen and if you need any gain or not.
  21. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Room has dark laminate and one wall of dark wall paper. The remaining walls are painted a dullish colour. White ceiling.
    It's by no means a bat cave, but probably better than the setup we saw at Richers yesterday so I think we will be ok.
    Viewing will only be at weekends mainly evenings so I'm hopeful outside light wont be too much of a problem. My intention is to have the lights out during viewing.
  22. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    You should get away with a white screen without any gain then and not have to go with a Draper react II as they are around £1500.

I would recommend a tab tensioned though if you want a screen free of ripples and edge curl they do start from around £800+ though depending on size you may have to pay up to around £1k for a decent screen.If you could live with a fixed screen in your room they are better and cheaper generally.

I would look in the classifieds as good quality screens do come up from time to time for £300-700.
  23. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,745
    as Keith has pointed you may not need a screen which combats the effects of ambient light and you have so rightly pointed out you may be going with a 4K upgrade pj later on.

So based on this take a look at a Seymour screen, 1.2 gain so has that bit of lift when watching 3d, acoustically transparent so you can if you want to place your speakers in the correct position but its also 4K certified if thats the right term to use.

I use a JVC X30 with a Seymour every day and it looks superb, very sharp, good focussing capabilities and it won`t break the bank, that said it ain`t the cheapest screen but its years away from being the dearest and I mean decades :smashin:
  24. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What sort of price are we talking for that, Alan? Presumably you stock the screens you mention?

I left a VM on your land line last night. No doubt you'll pick that up in the morning?
  25. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,745
    Hi
    just left you a message

i`ll need to know what screen size, ratio and format as in fixed frame or electric, its best we do this via email or a call, all details in my sig

we`ll try to catch each other soon hopefully

Allan :smashin:
  26. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Quick update:
    I decided against the high miler X30 based you the advice in this thread.
    Unfortunately, Alan doesn't have any more new ones available.

Some online stores are still advertising new ones for anything between 2-2.5k.
    Wondering if they will drop their prices when the X35 comes in to stock?
  27. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
    Don't pay any more than £1800 for a new X30 £2-2.5k is taking the pee, the new X35 will be around for £2800 or better.
  28. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Agreed, just got to find one.
  29. Talgo

Talgo Member

Ratings:
    +34

:( Sigh
  30. mr. shr

mr. shr Member