Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Everio HDD camcorder is write protected!!

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by Artmuzz, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought a JVC GZ-MG21 Everio HDD camcorder recently and I have been trying to copy files from my PC to the JVC Everio. When I try to do this I get a message saying that the HArd Drive on the Everio is write protected.:(

This is a great shame as I was hoping to put videos I have edited on the PC back onto the Everio camcorder but it won't let me do it.

Is there any way I can copy files from my PC to my JVC Everio camcorder? Also how do I unlock the write protect on my JVC Everio camcorder?

Please help:lease:

Artmuzz
  2. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Why do you want to copy files from the PC to the camcorders HDD :confused: .

I thought it was a one way process ie Camcorder HDD to PC:rolleyes:

If you have edited files on the PC: They then go onto a DVD, stay on the PCs HDD or go onto an External HDD.
    The Camcorders HDD is meant to take footage from the camera not the PC.

The tape equivalent is used ( DV-In) because tape is recognised as an archive for your edited material.
    It is not the primary means of displaying it . Edited and recaptured footage on tape can be captured back to PC at a later date if need be

The Everio produces MOD files. By the time you edit them you would have changed them to "normal " mpeg files which I understand are a little less compressed ( and not expected to be on the camcorders HDD) so by returning the footage (if you can) you'll only be filling up the HDD

An analogy with digital camera is to take pictures , transfer them to PC , edit them, then return them edited back to the Media card in the camera : It doesn't seem logical

I don't know why the HDD on Everio is write protected but it is only selectively so if you can get to record onto it and it may be a deliberate feature
  3. tomandjo2

tomandjo2 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The Everio range does create a .MOD file but all you have to do is change the file extension from MOD to MPG (it works I've tried it with my MG57)

With this in mind it may work in reverse change the MPG extension to MOD, this may work as the everio will recognise the file extension.

Although saying that the instructions do only show an arrow in one direction from Camcorder TO PC.

Tom
  4. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    You are right . the fact that MOD ( a bit like VOB) files are just modified mpeg2 files has been discussed a lot around here.

It may be too that renaming from mpeg to MOD may make the file compatible on the Everio but it still doesn't help to get the files back on.:oops:

And more to the point :It may explain the one way traffic Mpeg files may not be expected to go back to MOD format:rolleyes: !!
  5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark Active Member

Ratings:
    +745
    I'm not sure if writing back to the Everio is supposed to work or not... but out of interest the Sony SR1 does support this. In the manual it says specifically that "you can rewrite movies that were imported from your camcorder to your computer back to your camcorder". I'm not sure of the SD cams like the SR90 are the same.