1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DLA-X35/55/75/95 Owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Chevyonfuel, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Do we have a thread yet for this? (not sure if the other thread would migrate into an owners one eventually).

Anyway; 21st of November, the 2013 line of projectors should be filtering out to dealers. I took the leap and upgraded from an Optoma HD33 to an X55 (thanks to Allan at Ideal AV). Should arrive just in time for The Dark Knight Rises :thumbsup:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    Thats quite an upgrade, HD33 --> X55. Will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the X55 and e-shift2. Whats your room like, and what is your screen size/viewing distance? Will you be keeping the same screen as the HD33 was on?

Congratulations on your purchase :thumbsup:
  3. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Thank you sir :)

I don't quite have a bat cave, but it's dark enough and has good light control (terracotta walls, dark green carpet). My current screen is a basic 92" 1.0 gain at 120" viewing distance (can be greater or smaller, I just move the sofa back and forth depending on content), shortly to be replaced (it's not tab tensioned and is starting to ripple).

The rest of my kit is a bit middle of the road; Panny 310 BD, Darblet, Onkyo 608 AVR, Wharfedale 10's and a Velodyne 12" sub.

I don't expect the 3D to be a huge upgrade (if any) from the HD33 as that has excellent performance (being DLP). The X55 should come into it's own with 2D content, and E-Shift2. TBH, just being able to have lens shift is a refreshing thought, as all my previous PJ's were awkward sods to place.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  4. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,112
    They won't make the 21st. Hopefully shipping by the end of the week.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    There's a chap on Pistonheads who says he's getting his X55 hopefully tomorrow as it has been sent out to him today. I guess we'll start getting some feedback from real end users soon enough.

I also saw a translated post on AVS from a French forum about an X35 and the owner had an X3. Typically I can't find the post now, but improved sharpness was one comment. However I've also seen a post by SanderDVD in the Netherlands who has a focus issue on his X35 and lamp flicker (probably would clear by running in high power for a little while though as per some Panasonics I've read about recently).
  6. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    I have just been told by my insurers that my shiny new DLA X35B will be with me on December 5th :thumbsup:

This will be a significant upgrade on the hole in my ceiling I currently have :D

Now I have the happy task or ripping out all the old component cables and replacing with CAT 5 for the Balun. Pure joy. I love plastering and decorating :(

Or is a wireless HDMI box a sensible proposition ? Anyone got any experience/recommendations ?

And where are the X35 reviews ?

Mike
  7. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    One and the same Sir!:thumbsup: I post quite rarely in the home cinema bit though (tend to post in the gaming section the most). Ought to use the same usernames really...

Anyway, yes, Allan at Ideal AV called earlier to say it's on its way. Wont be able to setup anything until my mount arrives (next week at some point). Happy times though :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    Then in that case you'll know that I have an Old school RS. ;)
  9. AVus3r

AVus3r Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Someone spill the beans, which one is it this year Panasonic, Sony or JVC? Would love to know how JVC X35 and 55 stack up against the other two brands.
  10. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    I'm informed by SWMBO, there's a large box with JVC on the side waiting for me at home.
    *happydance*.
  11. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    Why are you still at work, that's a nasty sounding cough you have ;)
  12. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    Should have come to me as I'm home already. I look forward to reading about how you get on...now hurry up and get home. :)
  13. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    When does yours land Kelvin?
  14. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    I'm home! (sort of, sat next to a large box, at SWMBO's). Shall be having a look at it when I get back to mine on Saturday night :)

Thank you again to Allan at Ideal AV, top work boss :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. SED Rules

SED Rules Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can you please give us some more details? ;) Blacks? Contrast? Colors? Sharpness? Motion? Image uniformity? Convergence? Film-like look? Fan noise?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  16. G70baby

G70baby Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Nice report Allan. As you know I was well pleased with the X70 when I visited your excellent facilities but the 3D although good to my eyes wasn't as good as the Sony 95 IMHO. So is there any improvement on the 3D?
    I've been holding out to see if there is any improvement in the 3D before buying either the X70 or X75 and the moment of truth has finally come.
    Please enlighten us with your honest opinion:).
  17. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,760
    as you can see all my posts have been removed so its pointless me saying any more as they will ultimatley go the same way :(

we have been told that if we respond to a question we can answer it, obviously not, but i`ll give it a go, if you get chance to read this then be my guest

my honest opinion,having demo`d a JVC last week against a Sony HW50, with respect to the 3d, the 3d was better

i will be removing my signature from the bottom on this post as we have been asked to, so this will be a personal post rather than a commercial one, as I did with all the other ones, so this is my personal opinion.
  18. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +576
    Sold my X30 last week to make way for an X55 which will be arriving on Monday, this will be my first experience of eShift so I really can't wait and as a bonus my copy of Dark Knight Rises arrived today, Monday can't come quick enough :smashin:
  19. bbar

bbar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When you say "3d was better" , in which model was 3D better?:confused:
  20. ronfab1

ronfab1 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    How does it look and how do you like eShift2 ?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  21. alebonau

alebonau Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hi chevy hows it looking x75 up and going yet ? :)
  22. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    it was the X35 they came to see against the Sony HW50 :smashin:

both the customer and his wife were here for quite a while going through several different films, the one that caused the JVC a lot of problems was Despicable Me

we purposely went to the scenes that had been highlighted last year which had supposedly caused the JVC problems and these were played back and forth a few times.

I can`t remember the chapter but one scene with a white rasta was being crossed by a character in the film, the edge of the white wall had very very slight ghosting, so we paused it and adjusted the parallax and it disappeared.

Several other films were then played, one being Avatar as this is quite often used as a reference and no ghosting, crosstalk or flickering was noticed by them at all.

for me the Sony last year was probably the best 3d projector of them all, but things may have changed

most important though is to demo them for yourself and make up your own mind :smashin:
  23. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    The parallax doesn't fix ghosting though, just moves it from one scene to another according to owners of the last gen Jvc's using this feature.

Overall though, is the 'strength' of the ghosting reduced, ie, the shadow lines more feint?
  24. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I would say a definate yes to your question, but i`m a dealer (both models not just the JVC) though so my thoughts should be taken with a pinch of salt.

my point was we could get rid of it with the JVC and couldn`t with the Sony
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Toe

Toe Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the report. As mentioned above, you should NEVER use the parallax to adjust ghosting since you will now create ghosting in another frame/part of the film that was not there before. You can do this same exercise with last years models, but it will just create problems in other areas.

Avatar should not be used as any indication of ghosting performance since that film was practically ghost free on both my RS40 and RS45. Avatar is known as one of the most forgiving crosstalk movies with non DLP projectors and should not be used as any indication of improvement.

Throw on some 120hz 3d and lets really test these new JVCs since this is where they struggle BIG time. Zombie over on AVS will be running these JVCs through the 3d tests like he did last year as soon as he gets one which will be very telling on what if any improvements have been made and will also eliminate a lot of the subjective interpretation. Anyone interested in the new models should follow that thread!
  26. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    all these points are subjective to the user, the most important thing here is to see for yourself

I mentioned parallax just to highlight the fact that we could get rid of it if we wanted to using it, but couldn`t on the Sony.

Avatar was not used as an example of a film with ghosting, it was used because it was asked for by the customer, and it shows how could 3d can be if done properly.

it was this film that made the customer decide they wanted the JVC over the Sony by the way.

And I still say that JVC don`t "struggle big time" as you put it with 3d, ok they may not have coped with certain films as good as other pj`s but I`ve never had a problem with them and I can think of quite a few posters on here who haven`t as well.

You`d think that they are rubbish if you believed some of the things said about them, this simply is not true and for me never has been.

Do your own homework and demo`s before believing whats written and said, that is and always will be the best advice anyone can take

reading and believing is crazy :thumbsdow
  27. Toe

Toe Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The point to be made as far as the parallax though is you are not getting rid of anything. Yes you can eliminate ghosting from ONE scene, but it will simply move it to another where it was not before. This is very easy to experiment with. Just run through a number of scenes that exhibit ghosting and take note where you have to have the parallax set to "eliminate" the ghosts and you will find it is ALL over the map which makes this feature useless for eliminating ghosting which is not what it is for to begin with. Here is a cut and paste with my experiments on my 45 last year as far as the parallax and trying to use it to eliminate ghosting.............

Parallax was much more interesting in the fact that I could literally pause ANY ghosting scene and move the parallax adjustment one way or the other and eliminate the ghosting! the problem is every scene is different as far as what type of adjustment you need. On one extreme, we have something like the Despicable Me title at the 0:57 time stamp......at the "0" default parallax setting, the ghosting is horrible on this red title shot, BUT moving the parallax all the way to -15 almost completely eliminated the ghosting! Great right? WRONG! Fast forward to 4:52 where we have some ghosting going on with a lamp post....on this scene, I needed a +5 parallax setting to eliminate the ghosting which is not even close to the -15 needed for the previous scene. Now fast forward to the 23:31 mark where we get some ghosting on a straw that is in a cup.......for this scene I needed a -5 on the parallax to get rid of the ghosting. As you can see, the parallax setting you need to eliminate ghosting depends on the scene so you cant just pick a global setting that will work for the whole film which brings me to the conclusion that this "feature" is also worthless at least as far as ghosting is concerned and watching an entire film. For the record, both Grand Canyon and Patagonia showed the same results.

In all due respect, I disagree with your 3d opinion on the JVCs and so do MANY other people if you follow the various threads on AVS and elsewhere. In the excellent Zombie thread from last year comparing various units for crosstalk, lag, etc......the JVC came in last for both crosstalk AND flicker for blu ray 3d and 120hz 3d as well. Plenty more detail on that for anyone interested here.............At least check out the first post which has some through the lens comparison shots showing how the various units compare vs one another. JVC is clearly bringing up the rear......

JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout

I have owned both the RS40 and now own the RS45 and absolutely LOVE them for 2d, but 3d is a whole different game and I am at a point where I wont even watch 3d on my 45 due to not only ghosting, but flicker which has become fatiguing and annoying for me.

Ghosting in particular ranges from non existent for all practical purposes on something like Avatar, to heavy and VERY distracting to the point that it ruins the presentation on something like Dinosaurs Giants of Patagonia (just fire this up starting at about 6.5 minutes in and tell me how great the JVCs are with ghosting :( ) and everything in between, and this is on a new bulb. On my RS40, once the bulb hit 300-400 hours, (and I am by no means the only one to observe and note this if you run through the owners thread of that machine), ghosting became considerably worse. People who have observed this have theorized that it has something to do with heat loss as the lamp ages(?). To be fair, other non DLPs have shown signs of this anomaly as well, so it is not just a JVC thing.

Moving on to 120hz 3d which I have experimented with in the form of numerous games via the PS3 and 360. 120hz 3d on the RS40 and RS45 is flat out BROKEN IMO. Again, this is where the previous two generations of JVC 3d projectors have flat out choked. Trying to play almost any (the only acceptable one I found was Super Stardust 3d) game in 3d on my RS40 and RS45 was incredibly distracting due mainly to the HEAVY ghosting and to a lesser, but still notable degree flicker. It is well documented at this point by various owners (again, just run through the owners thread for more reports on this) that 120hz 3d on the JVCs is horrendous as far as ghosting is concerned.

Throw in the infamous "warm up" time where ghosting improves over the first ~30 minutes or so the projector is on and I dont feel 3d on the JVCs "struggles big time" overall, I feel it is borderline broken.

All this is due to what I have experienced with my RS40 and RS45 over the last two years and I am at a point between flicker and ghosting that I am completely turned off with even watching 3d on my 45. :( Again, for anyone interested in these models, follow the Zombie thread here..........

Sony HW50 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5020 / JVC RS55 / JVC RS 46 / JVC RS4810 / JVC RS56 Mini-shootout 2012-2013

His tests take the subjective out of the equation to a large degree since he is doing through the lens shots that show how ghosting compares on the various models and will use the same scenes as last year so we can see just how far JVC has come with the just now being released models. I really hope JVC has made some significant improvements since last year they did not, and some actually felt the 3d got worse between the 40/50/60 and 45/55/65!

To end this on a positive note, I am on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as far as 2d is concerned and have been in love with my 2d picture ever since getting my RS1. Moving to the RS40 two years ago and then the RS45 has only amplified that affair and I cant imagine going with any other projector for 2d blu ray watching which is what I do most of anyway. :) For 3d, I am most likely going to add a 2nd DLP projector and just use the 45 for 2d blu ray, or if JVC has somehow made MAJOR improvements with the new models in 3d (as well as lag which is also something I am not happy about and is much to high for any game player who is somewhat serious) which is still TBD, I will go through with my RS4810 preorder.
  28. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    the problem with what you have posted is this

I only talk about what I see here and also what the customers - people - friends see here

not wanting to repeat myself again but we only dialled that particular scene in Despicable Me just to show that what parallax does as that is what the customer wanted to know, what it did.

i`m aware of the other threads but to be honest not really interested, this is not meant as a jibe, its just that what is talked about at the other side of the world doesn`t really interest me, its what i/we see here what interests me.

I don`t analyse a film, I enjoy it, flicker, ghosting or crosstalk has never once been a problem on any JVC i`ve shown here and i`ve had quite a few over the years.

it bothers people more than others, it obviously bothers you as you are complaining about it, that is your right, but its my right as a user not a dealer to say how I feel about them, and I like them

if you disagree with what I think about JVC`s then that is your perogative, if you don`t like them then why keep buying them :confused:

at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinion and this is only mine, and its mine which is going to be at the top of my list.

i`ll end this by saying if JVC`s were as bad as you are making out then how come I and others keep selling them :confused:
  29. Toe

Toe Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Did you miss the part where I gushed over the 2d abilities? THIS is the reason why people keep buying them and this is the reason why you keep selling them. The 2d performance on the JVCs for 2d blu ray in particular is 2nd to NONE IMO in this price class and this is also why I still own one which you would understand if you read my last post more clearly. The majority of my viewing is 2d blu ray and that is what makes the JVC worth owning for me and most others, but it is certainly not the 3d abilities which are bettered by other units out there both DLP and non DLP alike.

It is certainly not the gaming performance either......80ms of lag which is what last years models clocked in at is close to the rear vs the competition and way too high for any game player who cares about performance. While most of my watching is blu ray 2d like I mentioned, I still do care about game and 3d performance which is why I am considering adding a 2nd projector just for these tasks since my 45 is simply not up to the challenge. I am also still open to the new 4810 depending on how they test in all these areas.......I am on the preorder list.

I am quite surprised at your posture to be honest, especially being a dealer. You are basically in denial of what these machines are really doing as far as 3d goes (the older models, the new models are still TBD to be fair). As a dealer, I would sure hope you WOULD be MUCH more interested and MUCH less rose colored as far as your outlook so you could give your customers a better opinion of the overall performance. :thumbsdow :( The fact that you are just willing to turn away and not even consider all the findings on these machines from a 2d and 3d standpoint is flat out sad. I just hope your customers will do their own homework and not rely solely on your input as it is misleading in all due respect. Wow.
  30. The Luggage

The Luggage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if I'm going to much off topic. I currently own an RS1 and am thinking about upgrading. Sony is not an option for me (the throw range is too short for my situation).

I'm considering either an X35 or a second hand X30.

Toe: since you have the X30/RS45 and had an RS1 in the past, do you think it is a significant upgrade?

3D and gaming are not important for me.

Thanks