Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DLA- X30, X70 and X90 (UK specs) discussion/owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by simonprr, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JamesBaby

JamesBaby Member

Ratings:
    +112
    2m max I believe. I had one out yesterday.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,952
    no idea regards the RS45 but the one with the X30 is around 1.5 mts as I remember

but if its not long enough you can make your own very easily

Allan
  3. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    If you have a DLA-X30, DLA-X70 or DLA-X90 and you would like some extra 3D Glasses, they are now available at a reduced price of £84.99 (including free delivery) from our eShop:

PK-AG2BE 3D Active Shutter Glasses at JVC eShop

Quantities are limited, so grab 'em while they're going.
  4. NWhiteley

NWhiteley Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I have searched for the answer to this, but i cant find anything.....

When i have my X30/RS45 in 3D mode, none of my other remotes work. Is this normal, if so, what can i do to remedy it?
  5. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    change to the new RF kit, its the IR blanket being thrown out by your emitter that is causing your issues
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. NWhiteley

NWhiteley Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Allan, is there not a cheaper way of doing it?
  7. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    Put a sock or some sort of diffuser to weaken the signal.
  8. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    yes as said if you cover the sensor with a sock, a clean one mind you :D and see what happens

but not a thick winter woolly one as that will stop the signal passing through, try different things and see if you can achieve an happy medium.

Allan :smashin:
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    Yep, thats its - finding the happy medium. Something to limit the signal so that your glasses still work but won't effect your remotes too badly, trial and error is the way. Won't do any harm to have a fresh set of duracells in your remotes too.
    When I 1st hooked up my x3, it turned my remote lighting on and off, dimming them, brightening them and all sorts of weird things! I discovered that you needed to press a remote 6 times quickly to enter the programming mode and the lighting thought that the emitter was trying to programme the lighting - I put masking tape over the lighting remote sensor and the emitter still managed to get through the masking tape:laugh:
  10. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    My Lux readings Replaced X90 Batcave.

iris open
    standard/6500k/normal/other settings 0/
    126"diag 1.2gain 2:35/16:9 screen/13`7" throw
    Service menu white pattern
    60 mins warm up
    Center screen readings

Low/High lamp
    106 hours
    207/340 Lux 16:9 87" wide
    124/208 Lux 2:35 117" wide

158 hours
    207/325 Lux16:9 87" wide
    124/197 Lux 2:35 117" wide

488 Hours
    110/167 Lux 2:35 117" wide --- In 330 hours only a 30 Lux drop at high lamp.

680 Hours
    High lamp 167 Lux 117" wide.

Damn i won`t get a replacement lamp if this keeps bright, 220 hours to dim:laugh:
  11. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Panamorph are releasing an anamorphic lens for $795 pre-order with no CA correction.

Can CA be corrected by the zone convergence feature?
  12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +834
    funny you should mention the new Panamorph - I was just reading about it over on AVS a short while ago. You make a good point about zone convergence possibly correcting the CA, but if you have a pj that cost as much as those that have that facility, wouldn't you rather buy a cylindrical lens instead? As well as not having CA correction, it also doesn't have a corrector lens for astigmatism adjustment.

It is a great price for a starter lens though.

Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,641
    IMHO it seems a bit late to market as this sort of lens might have been OK with 720p projectors, but I can't see it being much good with a 1080p model as it's likely to soften the image due to the lack of correction. Even if it had a fixed corrector that would be some help (if you're lucky enough to meet the throw distance required).

Unfortunately lenses are one of those things that you get what you pay for as they are so time consuming to make properly, it all adds to the cost. The best you can hope for is a good deal on a used lens, or wait until true 4K drops into your price range and go without a lens. IMHO a poor lens is worse than non at all (I tried a very poor one and was nearly put off the whole idea some years ago).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    14.5’ to 17.5’ feet from the screen is the sweet spot (fixed focus) for throw ratio to resolve 1080p or greater at the pixel level for their other models so lets hope this cheapo model is the same.
  15. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +834
    That throw is for their standard corrector lens on the 480 model IIRC (I believe they do other correctors for longer or shorter throws). This new lens doesn't have a corrector so probably no sweet spot as such. I know someone who had a similar Prismasonic lens with no CA with his 720 Sim2, but when he upgraded to a 1080 Sony, he found he preferred to zoom. I had to kill him of course and it was a sad loss to the community as well as his family, but thems the breaks as they say. :)

Mind you, if you could demo the lens and see it in action (unlikely I know), you may find the CA very small and the slight softening a nice side effect. After all, different people like different things.

With 1080 you really need a lens that has CA correction and preferably astigmatism adjustment as well as the broadband coatings.

Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,641
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I promise I'll be using my Isco for the rest of my life. :eek:

(I may have inadvertently said that I'll zoom when 4K drops to my price range, but I think I must have had a funny turn, honestly :)).
  17. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +834
    Don't forget I know where you live....:D

Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Sent an e-mail to Panamorph this is the reply concerning my JVC @13.7ft throw.

"The JVC is a great fit for our new CineVista lens. Yes, the lens can tilt on the U-bracket to ensure the proper geometry on the screen.

The great part about the CineVista is the 2 element design. Having less glass in the light path helps withthe sharpness of the image. You should not see any softening of the image with your X90. In fact, you will now be able to utilize all the resolution for your 2.35:1 movies.
    This lens was designed to use the Chromatic correction that is now being implemented in certain projectors. Your JVC projector will correct for this and you will be able to dial out the CA (Chromatic Aberration) in the image.

There will be no issues with the astigmatism at that distance. The focus range can go down to 6 feet and up to 18 feet without any noticeable blurring or diminishing of the image.
    Unlike the UH480 and DC1 which have the optional correctors at different distances, this is pre-focused to work within those ranges. That is one of the advantaged of the UH480 and DC1 lens."
  19. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Can you get it on sale or return? Colour me cynical, but if it was that easy why do Isco go to the bother of putting extra glass and adjustable focus (astigmatism) in their lenses? Or why do they bother selling lenses with more elements themselves?

I'm not sure of what your throw works out but 13' is pretty short unless your screen is small, so makes me wonder just how much pincushion and other issues you'll have. I just have a feeling you could be disappointed.

Don't tell Gary ;) , but if I had an X90 I might try just zooming for 2.35:1 as with the Eshift it would have a higher pixel density than a 1080p using a lens.
  20. barryd

barryd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Has anyone got a optoma panoview screen rigged up to there x30 with a 12v trigger cable that comes with the screen? I ask this as the one that came with my screen has a 3.5 plug on one end and some sort of female plug on the other, I thought the x30 took a 3.5 mono plug? And so does the screen so I can't use the supplied lead unless I am wrong:confused:
  21. barryd

barryd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Just checked screen and x30 trigger connection and as far as I can tell they take the same 3.5 mono phono plug connector. So unless anyone can tell me otherwise I will make up a lead with a plug on each end!:)
  22. TexKeen

TexKeen Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys is there anyone can help me with a stating up issue with my New X30. It is ceiling mounted and on the first start up the image is upside down so how do I reverse it.
    Any help would be great
    Tex
  23. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Go to

Menu-settings- installation style and choose ceiling front and jobs a gooden
  24. TexKeen

TexKeen Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi found the setting looks better now.

Thanks
    Tex
  25. Messiah

Messiah Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Well, after deliberating for a few weeks, I had an opportunity to buy an X30 today at a stupidly unbelievable price, I just could not say no ;)

I will be taking my HD750 (which I have been over the moon with, making the decision so tough) off the ceiling this weekend and putting the X30 up. Oh, and I had to buy a new Yamaha amp at the same time as an upgrade to my RX-V1800 so I can use 3D as well.

Very excited :)
  26. skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet Member

Ratings:
    +70
    well come on then how much!:devil:
  27. sanderdvd

sanderdvd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Guys,

I have an X3 atm and have the opportunity to trade it for a X70 + € 1200. Not interested in 3D but the only thing holding me back are the lamp issues. I seems like US has a lot more lamp dimming/exploding problem then Europe. Am I correct in this?
  28. Webmonkey

Webmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I am happy to say that I am now an X30 owner :-D Got it cheaper than the TW9000 :-D

Out of the box the picture is great - skintones looks great, great sharpness and detail.

There is one thing however that I am not so happy about - there is some bright corner (light leakage?)

any ideas how to solve it?
  29. sanderdvd

sanderdvd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Just installed my X70. I m looking for some input on some things. My projector will be ISF calibrated in a few weeks but what I want to do first is set some basic things so I have a 90% (or so) perfect image. I know that when the ISF calibration will be done the CMS, gamma and some other things will be configured properly but there are some basics that can already be taken care of myself. Hope you guys don t mind running throught the various settings:

Picture Mode: I have set this on 'USER1' because I know the ISF calibration guys will do this too

Color Profile: is this settings is the same as the 'COLOR SPACE' setting on my previous X3 I owned? I think that I have to choose between 'CINEMA1', 'CINEMA2' or 'STANDARD' but I m not sure about this. For your info, I m running a HTPC with a NVIDIA graphics card and I use the HDMI output of my card. More specific: I m using Media Player Classic with madVR as output renderer with output setting PC Levels (0-255). I m also using LAV video decoder with the setting 'RGB Output Untouched'. And I m also using ffdshow Raw Video Decoder set as Raw Video 'All Supported' and Output only checked the box YV12.

Color Temp.: I ve set this at 'CUSTOM1' and '6500K'. I know that this was the starting position with my X30 so I assume the ISF calibration guys will work with the 6500K setting too and adjust the Red, Green and Blue Gain and Offset with the 6500K setting (again, correct my if I m wrong here or if another setting as starting point is better to be used!)

Gamma: 'CUSTOM1'

Dark/Bright Level: both leave it on the default '0'

PIcture Tone White, Red Green and Blue: leave all on the default '0'

Contrast, Brightness, Color and Tint: In the past I ve noticed that the JVCs are pretty close to ISF when running the default '0' for all these but my ISF calibration guy will check these anyway.

Sharpness and NR: Customize these the way the user prefers but I prefered all 'OFF' / '0' on my previous JVCs

Custom Gamma: I have set my Correction Value on 2.4 because that was the setting that my ISF calibration guy did for my X30. (for your guys info, I have a complete darkened pitch black bat cave)

Color Management: 'CUSTOM1'. This will be done with the ISF calibration

MPC Level: Is this the E-Shift technology? If so, what is recommended for Blu-Ray content; 1,2 or 3?

HDMI Input: I think (when looking at my HTPC setup) I need to set it to ENHANCED here right?

All of the above settings are not recommendation but more like questions what to do with all the settings. If you guys could advise me from point to point what the best settings are untill my pj gets the ISF calibration I would be very thankfull!

ps. Sorry for my bad English
  30. sanderdvd

sanderdvd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Some other questions:

Can I find all the released firmware versions somewhere with the changelog per firmware?

Last night I noticed that Eshift did not work and I had to ENABLE the MPC setting in the service menu. Now it works but I don t see a difference when setting MPC on 0.1.2 or 3 (in the regular preferences menu). Should I be able to notice differences between 0,1, 2 and 3?

I did a 5-6 hour convergence fine-tuning last night with the zones settings. I thought I read somewhere that one does not want zone convergence adjustments especially not in the center of the screen. Is this correct and if so, why is that?

Most of you guys seems to use the Standard Color Profile. I found something on another forum about the Color Profiles:

''JVC projectors typically have extremely wide gamuts in their standard mode, Cinema 1 probably even reigns it in a bit for its DCI profile.
    Unless there is some other issue from using it (which is possible, as there was with their earlier models) you should be using Cinema 2''

If this is true, we should be using Cinema1 or Cinema2 and not Standard.......

I m going to adjust the Contrast and Brightness tonight with the AVS 709 calibrations patterns. What kind of equipment do I need to check and adjust if the Color and Tint setting has to be adjusted?