Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DLA- X30, X70 and X90 (UK specs) discussion/owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by simonprr, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +590
    Well at the speed things seem to be progressing with the news of these new models my X30 will be out of date before I open :rolleyes:

I guess someone will get a bargain on an ex display X30 though, when I sold my 750 I thought that was bad enough as it only had around 130 hours on it, this will be more a case of 10 hours if I'm lucky.

On the plus side I'm really excited by the X55, really seems to tick all the boxes and as I'm mainly concentrating on hifi and haven't got the PJ setup in a batcave I feel the X55 will be more than enough for me as I don't feel my room would do justice to the X75, although I do prefer the high gloss casing, not sure that is worth an extra £2000 though :)
  2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Hypothetically speaking, I'd find it harder to justify the X55 over the X35 as I already have a much better CMS solution, so it would only be the E-shift feature I'd be paying for. Then given that I already have an Isco lens and tend to mostly watch 2.35:1 content, then I'm already well inside that point where I'm not seeing pixels (even when I zoomed).

Then given that I'm not into 3D at all (JVC's solution gives me a headache anyway), so that would mean probably very little real world difference (for me) between an X30 and an X35, bar the longer life lamp I suppose (less calibration I guess too).

In short, if you feel like giving away your X30 Vipers. ;) :D

EDIT: I just saw this post by GaryB regarding the X55 over the X35:

So...not fussed about the 1/16 pixel adjustment as it isn't physical, (only done in software). With a Lumagen the 'picture tone' and 'Darkness & lightness correction' would be taken care of (easy enough to tweak low or high end parts of the image anyway. So that leaves the real colour imaging technology, which is just a way of playing about with the colour temperature with extra presets: Personally I'd just use the one that with the Lumagen gives 6500K.

Just putting some of this into perspective for existing Lumagen owners (and Duo owners too to some degree)
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,118
    For any owners of the X30, X70 and X90 who asked in the previous thread about Infrared Remote Codes for 3D modes, I've just found out that they were added as part of the software update released earlier this year. If you have version 28.058 or newer installed, these should work:

3D Format - Auto - 21 89 01 52 43 37 33 44 42 0A - ASCII - DB
    3D Format - Side by Side - 21 89 01 52 43 37 33 44 43 0A - ASCII - DC
    3D Format - Top and Bottom - 21 89 01 52 43 37 33 44 44 0A - ASCII - DD

Long Hex versions of the codes are available in the long hex emulation guide available from JVC USA's website:

Long Hex Interface Codes
  4. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Ratings:
    +590
    Not too sure about giving it away but I think someone will get a bit of a bargain, but if you don't ask, eh Kelvin :)

Very nearly finished setting everything up at long last, the main problem with being in a Granary building, is there are loads of small windows so trying to find a good solution to get great blackout was quite a challenge, in the end we went with double blackout for every window, so a blackout roller blind with a blackout Roman blind over that. Last night we gave it it's first test, WOW it was black, especially once dark outside, that is definately one of the perks of being on a farm, no street lights to bleed in.

So hopefully over the weekend we may get to actually watch a film, we painted all the wall a matt off white so I'll be very interested to see how that will impact on the overall picture quality, now what film shall we watch :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    I'm just going to have a bit of a search, but if an existing X30 owner can help with an answer to save a lot of digging it would be good:

I read over on AVS that when setting up the zoom memory every adjustment you make on the X30 is 'replayed' when you select the memory. On my old AE3000 you could make as many adjustments as you wanted, then save that setting. It would then just go directly to those positions saved (with an annoying 'Processing' message on the screen).

I would like to use the lens memory on an X30 as when I'm not using my Isco II lens, the image is approx 5% smaller all round (not just the 1.33x width expansion being removed). When viewing 16:9 content I have to zoom slightly, tweak the shift a touch and refocus on my HD350 in order to fill the screen height. If I get an X30 I would have 2 zoom memories saved to cover this, but it seems a bit clunky if it takes time 'replaying' my manual adjustments (in real time?).

Maybe this was altered on later models (perhaps it was a pre production one I read about). It's not really a deal breaker, but just something that I'd like to know.
  6. Ravenous

Ravenous Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Recent X30 where delivered with a new Firmware version.

Measurements show colorspace was optimized.

Last official version was:

Januar 2012:
    Maintmenu: 201112161
    Submenu: 2011.12.9.1-0
    Switcher: 2011.10.20.1
    DD: 0B100B
    Driver 1: 600A
    Driver 2: 7070

Recent unit came with:

Septemer 2012:
    Mainmenu: 201205081
    Submenu: 2012.3.9.1-O
    Switcher: 2012.1.10.1
    DD: 0C090B
    Driver 1: 600A
    Driver 2: 7070

Anyone heard of JVC releasing this new firmware also for the old X30s ?
  7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,948
    what I do Kelvin is set it for 16.9 so its centered perfectly and focussed, then save to memory 1.

I then zoom so it fills the screen width ways, then lift it so it fits vertically, then focus and save to lens memory 2

this way only 3 movements are necessary

Allan :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Kind of the reverse for me as 2.35:1 (plus lens) needs to be zoomed smaller first, but I get what you mean.

When you select the lens memory is it a quick process, any displays on screen as well? Not that it's too important as I'll be physically moving my lens at the same time I suppose, but I was thinking about a slide mechanism (one for sale in the classifieds right now I believe) so the two changes could happen together with a suitable remote macro: Result would be true CIH with and without the lens in place...just another bonus to the X30 upgrade really.

EDIT: Just checked the slide price and I think I'll leave it. :) Maybe a Heath Robinson version as an alternative. :)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,948
    its certainly not as quick as the Sony 95, infact while the JVC is thinking about it, the Sony has already done it :)

there is a display on the screen which goes off once is finished the movement.

Re: the slide, someone should be snapping this up sharpish as it was the best part of £2 grand :eek:, this one is a proper bargain from someone who is anal (sorry Dave) about his equipment.
  10. sammy the squid

sammy the squid Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,244
    Good line:smashin::laugh:
  11. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,948
    thanks Sammy :smashin:
  12. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Revert to plan A then: As per existing, I check to see what AR that evening's film(s) are and put the lens in place as required, if not I zoom and focus (no shift needed) for 16:9. If it's a 2.35/2.40:1 film, then I zoom back to minimum (on the stops) and refocus, plonk the lens in front and line up the image edges by turning it on the stand as required. So I guess the time taken and any on screen messages aren't that important, it just saves me some fiddling about.

I'm relying on the X30 being able to zoom as small as the '350, so hope any tolerances/models between examples don't spoil this, though I already have to use the Mini3D to trim 10 or so pixels off each side due to overspill with the lens in place.

I saw that flush ceiling mount in part 2 of this thread, making the white option look particularly discrete. Of course I'd then need some way of putting up the lens only when required otherwise it would spoil the effect. There's always something to screw things up in a non dedicated room...
  13. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    X90 pure indulgence....only resized no editing or even calibrated.

[​IMG]
  14. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Lovely projector there Hawkeye, but seems a shame to have one and then not even bother calibrating it as it's an even smaller percentage of the price of an X90.

Please don't tell me you've just used some settings you found on the web.:eek::eek::eek:
  15. mikim

mikim Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Quick question to any of you out there that have completed a firmware update; does the upgrade reset the settings and system memory? (i.e. does the lamp timer get reset etc).

Only reason for asking is due to the last upgrade I did on an Optoma HD80 reset everything.

Cheers.
  16. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    A few factors have held me back from a full calibration first OOTB review settings are so close in the review from this site, second lamp dimmed early and machine was replaced so been clocking the hours up ready for the calibration then reading about the poor Spyder4elite meter required to do it myself with the free JVC software stopped me again then the linear color sat errors paused me to hold off.

May trade this model in for an X95 if not this will get calibrated soon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. edbrandrick

edbrandrick Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I saw a movie with loads of banding ( dark to light colour changing in sky scenes both daylight and night scenes ) it was a CGI movie and I am sure it was a terrible transfer , but is there any settings on the projector to reduce the effect ? I tried the same disc on my Panasonic plasma and the banding was just as terrible ! I have to admit though I very rarely notice much banding on the projector if at all , but I needed the second opinion on the tv just to check !
  18. alex_t

alex_t Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hello.

No, it doesn't. All the settings are kept after the upgrade.

Cheers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    The colours look off. ;)
  20. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +204
    Could somebody kindly tell me which menu/menus to access to check the lamp usage on a used unit I'm looking at as a potential purchase please.

EDit - Ah found out how
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  21. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    :)
  22. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Lots of complaints about the consistency of the fast zooming Sonys (needing to fine adjust after every zoom (including the VW-1000):thumbsdow
  23. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Kind of defeats the object if the lens memory is 'forgetful'. :) My old AE3000 was pretty consistent so it can be done on a budget, shame the image wasn't so good once it had adjusted... I'd like to make use of the X30's lens memory as my Isco slightly magnifies in height, so the image height reduces about 5% when the lens is moved for 16:9 viewing, so I'm hoping it's not 'forgetful'.
  24. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Ratings:
    +590
    It's taken a while but I'm definitely back in the land of projectors, actually sat down and watched our first movie 'Drive' on the X30 a couple of night ago, I had actually forgotten just how much better a film can be with the big screen experience, great movie btw.

What really blew me away though was just how amazing the X30 performed, definitely on par if not better than my trusty old 750, I just can't imagine how amazing the X75 and X95 are going to be, especially in a dedicated treated batcave.

Haven't tried 3D yet, but I've got Prometheus on its way + a couple of others including 'Closer to the Edge' which is supposed to be an excellent movie, I can really see my movie watching increasing over the coming months :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    That's good to hear Vipers as I've got an X30 coming soon, so it's promising what you say about it compared to the HD750 as an ex HD350 owner myself. I'm combining mine with the 125 point CMS in my Lumagen VP and a Darbee too. :cool: I'm sure an X75/95 would be better still, but I can't be greedy, it's as much down to my room which some improvements are planned to help with that soon. :smashin:
  26. Wull

Wull Active Member

Ratings:
    +473
    So you've managed to track one down Kelvin 'X30'? What a turn around for the books that is, did you manage to find a white one in the end? :)

Oh, and go easy with your 125 ponit CMS and higher native contrast ratio, this could drive us mere Duo/350 owners to spending money we would rather not :p
  27. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    No white one, but I realised it can't be flush mounted on the ceiling anyway due to a ceiling light (I thought it would be far enough away, but it isn't). I'll have to sort out something to stand it on as the bookcase the '350 sat on is being moved, but not until the spring now, so I've got time to sort something out. :)

Once you've nailed that calibration your '350 will be a mean machine anyway Wull. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. JamesBaby

JamesBaby Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I've got me an X30. Unpacking it now. 3D specs the works. :)
  29. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Enjoy Jamesbaby. :thumbsup: I'll be interested to hear how you get on coming from a HD1.
  30. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Ratings:
    +590
    I didn't think it would take you long Kelvin, great news, you just can't beat that big screen experince, I've spent ages watching all my favourite scenes again, still can't beat the last scene of Kick Ass and the night time schase scene from Dark Knight, I have to say I'm amazed at the black levels on the X30 in that DK scene, especially when I have off white walls and a white ceiling, the X30 really is an awesome PJ.

Excellent news James, let us know what you think, still haven't tried the 3D yet, hopefully over the weekend.

My friend came in yesterday with his lovely Leica camera, got some amazing photo's -

[​IMG]