Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DLA- X30, X70 and X90 (UK specs) discussion/owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by simonprr, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,056
    they are better Michael

the glasses are lighter and have deeper lenses so allow less light in at the bottom, their is no issue with IR flooding the room when using the older ones and interfering with remotes

i`m pretty certain the overall 3d experience is better as well, please don`t ask why as someone from over in the US will surely have a go at me for being........... well just being a dealer :D

its my opinion only btw

Allan
  2. michael.redfern

michael.redfern Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers Allan! Funnily enough, when I said "I heard a rumour", it was from you :)

I was just wondering if anyone had hooked one up to a non "5" version yet and how they'd got on.

Incidentally Allan, do you have them in stock yet as they're not listed on your site?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just did this but still no joy!! Sevenoaks here i come.
  4. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,056
    I don`t have them on my site as usually the order for pj`s are with them so no need, maybe I should..........

anyway JVC have them in stock as far as I know from this week

Allan :smashin:
  5. Nevin

Nevin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered two pairs of glasses and the RF emitter from Lamdatek on Monday and received them Tuesday. I thought the price was pretty good as well at £110 each and £92 for the emitter.

I have so far tried the glasses on my X30 with sky 3D with good results. Have yet to try my promethius 3D bluray. Setup was simple taking seconds to pair with the emitter. Looks neat plugged into back of projector.
  6. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help with my issues. Pleased to say its not just me it didn't work for. Took it to the store today and using their leads and equipment, the picture still flashes. JVC are collecting it tomorow. I'm just really gutted it'll be away for Christmas. Was hoping to watch all my new blus on it. Never mind, as long as it comes back working, that's all I.m worried about.
  7. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Well the store had the same issues as me. So it was sent back to JVC for repair today. However it should have been collected yesterday, but good old city link didn't pick it up after I waited in all day. This is the second time they've done this to me. I would never choose to use them personally. Anyway, no apology and no explanation, it went away today. I'm gutted as I probably won't get it back before Christmas. Mind you, there is still over two weeks yet and if its a quick repair, they might get it back to me. Who knows eh, just glad it's being looked at as I thought I was going nuts!!!
  8. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Well I've joined the club... X70 on the way :).
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    +1. Looking forward to e shift :)
  10. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,028
    Nice one guys, were these new or ex dem models, what sort of price were they If you don't mind me asking.
  11. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Pm sent.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +210
    I assume that setting one of the pre-set or a custom mask is a global setting, and not individually adjustable per each lens memory settings?

Can somebody confirm in their opinion how black the mask is? In other words, is it as black as a typical screen surround. I'm thinking of using this instead of a mask for 16:9 and 2.35:1 images on a scope screen.

Thanks
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,708
    I don't know if the setting is global or not, but I can confirm that the masking is only as dark as the projector's best black. It isn't an internal 'shutter' which would be the only way you could get complete black masking.

FWIW I'm not sure there is any projector that does have a shutter inside, I think they all work by just turning off the pixels in the masked area.
  14. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +210
    Thanks Kelvin

I'm going to make a DIY scope screen similar to Keith's, but the masking darn thing has got me thinking! I think I read one of the new X35 owners talking about the option, hence the question. I doubted it would be a good substitute for some black non-reflective material like Devore. Under pressure now as SWMBO has got wind of my plans and doesn't want a cheap home made looking solution, preferring the Beamax currently on the wall (8x4' MDF boards were a bit hard to conceal!). It seems a shame not to use the lens shift facility on the X30 and go scope.

Glad to see you've got your JVC and you are making good use of it. Boy I wish I had a Lumagen to get the most out of the pj.
  15. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    This. I got Jonathan Adair from NI to come down and calibrate my projector and audio. Been quite aware of the projectors image quality, and curious as to what difference I'd observe (I had never got a calibration done before, debated it but never felt I had good enough equipment to justify the price), I was nevertheless blown away by the change in quality. It's a subtle but fundamentally difference, if that makes sense :thumbsup: Feel compelled to go back and watch all my movies again. Star Trek opening is mind blowing.

Love my projector :thumbsup:
  16. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    What does it actually do? Is it an RF remitter so that the remote doesn't need line of sight (which would be great!) or does it replace the 3D emitter that presently sits on top of the projector?
  17. iamsludge

iamsludge Member

Ratings:
    +33
    It replaces the 3d emitter : they moved from IR to RF. Would also need the RF glasses. I'm not sure why the change as my X3 with the IR emitter works super.

Mind you I'm also a little put off using RF for 3d sync in case it interferes with any of my other RF kit, such as wireless headphones.
  18. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,135
    The emitter operates at 2.4GHz, so it's unlikely to interfere with headphones. I guess it might conflict with the odd video sender.
  19. Clint C

Clint C Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum but I managed to nab the last ex-demo X30 from Richer Sounds to upgrade from my old NEC HT1100 (which still works fine BTW). It came complete with emitter and one pair of glasses, they're sending the second pair from their supplier within the month as someone managed to crack the lenses. Anyway, I also recently took delivery of the Allcam PC106MET 106" 2.35 projection screen and very much enjoying CIH viewing. These forums have been instrumental in my purchase decisions so thanks to all.

Now to watch all my films again... :)
  20. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
  21. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    I've an X70 on its way to me this weekend. Does it have a masking feature so that you can cut the black bars when watching scope movies. For example, my current Sony has a blanking feature where you can just stop the projector showing parts of the image, left, right, top and/or bottom.
    I'm just wondering if the X70 can do this. Watching the dark knight on my scope screen, when it cuts to the imax scenes the image is projected off the screen so it would be nice to just cut the image so that the imax scene are trimmed back to 2.35...
  22. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Can't answer your question but won't doing that cut off parts of the image that are outside of your screen?
  23. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Yes, that's what I'm looking for.
  24. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,708
    I think the masking option doesn't go to a big enough setting for what you want. The older JVCs just had 2.5% or 5% all round. The newer models have a custom option that allows you to trim off each side as you prefer, but I still don't think it goes down enough. IIRC I think you need to go to about 11% off top and bottom to do what you want (I tried this in my Mini3D).
  25. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Cheers. No big deal really, only a few titles I have like this anyway. Would be a nice feature to have but won't lose sleep over it. Only 3 days until x70 arrives so can't wait :) (might lose sleep thinking about it though!)
  26. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,708
    Oh I know that sleepless thing with a new projector (there's a post I made somewhere on the X35 thread at 3:30am. :eek:).

I think it's only the Batman film(s?) and maybe one other, so not a big deal (even less so for me as I just didn't like them myself). Seeing as I prefer a properly framed image (side masked 1.85:1 or the full screen 2.35:1 for me) then any film that requires the majority of it to be watched with unused screen area is just going to annoy me. Thankfully the Lumagen allow me to crop as I wish or just watch the whole thing in 2.35:1 as you were hoping.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy your Christmas viewing with the X70 arriving soon. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    The only other one I have is Tron Legacy along with the 2 dark knights so yes, not a lot of movies. I do like the sound of the lumagen though and that will likely be my next purchase, maybe next year sometime (like January 1st lol)

I convinced myself that I'll spend a bit of dough on the x70, sell my VW85 and that will offset some of the spend. No doubt, I'll soon convince myself that when I sell the VW85 that will almost pay for a Lumagen mini3D, and kid myself that I'm nearly getting it for free!
    Arrghh, the temptation to upgrade always gets the better of me - resistance is futile :)
  28. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +210
    Soupdragon

The X30 has masking as described by Kelvin, plus custom for all edges, but not sure how far these can "crop" the image. I guess the X70 will have the same feature.
  29. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,708
    I'm with you there Soupdragon: In my mind my X35 was virtually free since I saved £300 by not getting the 3D spec and emitter, I saved another £2K by not getting the X55 plus I thought I'd get £650-700 for my old HD350. However, the '350 hasn't gone anywhere as I now think I may as well keep it as a spare. :rolleyes:

At least I genuinely can't think of anything I want to upgrade right now: I have the X35, Mini3D, Isco II, Darbee and Oppo 93 for visuals, plus my lovely Arcam AV9, power amps and PMC front speakers. However, I'm going to Rob Sinden's place on the 30th so who knows what upgrades I might be desperate to get after that. :D
  30. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Oh no, don't go there :eek:

I seen his thread, different world altogether that gear, seems awesome. But yeah, looks like your all set with what you have, it's a nicely put together set up. I assume your using analogues for hd audio from Oppo to arcam? I had Oppo to my arcam av8/p7 and it sounded incredible. I had to move to a modern av receiver though for my mostly night time listening features but I think back fondly on that arcam- it just seemed to make the room boundaries dissappear and with all the lights out and a movie on it was true immersion. My sr7005 is serving me well though and I just can't afford a more modern processor like the av888 for my night time viewing. Maybe they'll come down in price sometime soon.

And yes, love your logic, your x35 was basically free :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1