1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Waiting.....

Discussion in 'Past Entries' started by shotokan101, Feb 22, 2012.

1. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12,290
    Well tried a different interpretation of the theme this month - especially as most of the other takes have already been done - and done very well :)

TZ10 Compact again this month and again a handheld night shot which isn't it's strong point but it came out not to bad I think - hope you like it ;)

"Just Waiting...."

[​IMG]

Processed in LR3 - detail recovery + black recovery and contrast adjustment followed by some noise reduction and a slight crop and levelling rotation...

Jim
  2. Ibcus

Ibcus Member

Ratings:
    +271
    It doesn't really say stopped motion to me Jim.

I know the car was moving and has stopped for the lights but it could just as well be parked up :confused:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    LOL - but you'd get a ticket :D

I knew that this interpretation was likely to be a bit of a marmite one - much like some of the others - thanks for the feedback and setting the ball rolling :)
  4. domino1999

domino1999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,136
    I like the idea Jim, in fact it was an idea I was tinkering with early in the month. A car braking at a red traffic light is certainly "stopped motion" in my book :smashin:

My only niggle is that the red traffic lights aren't really red, they're more white with red-tinged halos, so probably overexposed a touch. The same with the car brake lights. Also I probably would have tried a different composition, maybe a closer crop on the car and left-hand traffic light only, in portrait orientation.

Darren
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Miranda

Miranda Member

Ratings:
    +585
    I see where you are going (or rather 'not' going :p) with this, Jim. But I'm afraid it falls short for me in the ways of interestingness :( I'd like nothing more than to say this is brilliant! But I've found honesty to be better policy :)
    I shouldn't say much at all, though, as I've failed so far to deliver at all, this month.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    Cheers Darren - and TBH I do agree to an extent about the red lights and I did try quite a few attempts at this and different locations also and had varying degrees of "unsuccessfullness" but i the end I picked this one as I preferred at least the halo effect being red :facepalm: - I did consider some different compositions but I also wanted to capture the other cars in motion to give the contrast between motion and stopped.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :cool:

Thanks Miranda - I appreciate you taking the time to comment - and your honesty and it definitely is the best policy :thumbsup:

Jim
  7. keefysher

keefysher Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Jim

I like the idea, had thought of similar before my wife said it was too obvious. :mad:

Losing the street light halo would focus on the red lights for stop. Perhaps closer to dusk would have given more definition and contrast. Would have shown the motion of the crossing traffic more than in this after dark one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated :) - somehow I just really wanted this to be a night shot but it just didn't work out that well I guess.

Jim
  9. Keith Hurst

Keith Hurst Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    Good enough shot Jom, but to me also it's not really stopped motion I'm afraid.

Still a better entry than I currently have, which is hee haw lol.

KH
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    Cheers Keith - I actually had a wander around town on a few lunchtimes hoping to find someone clamped but it never happens whan you need it :laugh:

JIm
  11. Gunhawk

Gunhawk Member

Ratings:
    +924
    Great concept Jim, really love the idea :thumbsup:

However...for me the fairly bland locale and fairly ordinary car kinda kills it for me.

Think this idea would have looked better if you were taking a picture of the rear of a porsche/lambo/ferrari sitting at red lights on a sunsetting Florida Gold Coast strip. (dream pic i know :D) so in light of that i give you a B- for effort :D ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Bagger

Bagger Member

Ratings:
    +210

+1

Nice and politely put and are my thoughts too :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    Thanks Peeps - I see where you're coming from and personally I'm quite please to rate a B- :D

Jim
  14. mucca_D

mucca_D Member

Ratings:
    +515
    I Like it, but think it could do with a boarder to set it off.:smashin:

Sorry, could not help myself:laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,290
    You know what ? - you might be right there.....

...if it had been shot at a border crossing it would have worked better :devil: :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1