1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Got A Olympus 765

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Garrett, Jul 27, 2004.

1. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2

ok, here goes, I hope it works. This is a pigeon on top of a cut down oak tree whih is about three terraced houses away and about 30 feet up. used the maximum zoom. I know it's not the best but it is my first attempt!

Attached Files:

2. anpet76

anpet76 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just gave out my D40ZOOM and i want a 765UZ.....but i'm afraid of the battery life. Tell me something. Thanx. Antonio, Italy
  3. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    The battery life is not bad it just that when I use it to put the pictures on the TV it does drain it a quicker than normal. I have been using it at present for over a week without it running low. I also use the eyepiece rather than the LCD which is excellent as it shows exactly what you’re taking and zooms just as the LCD does. The only trouble it does give you limited warning when running low.
  4. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have been out and about all this last week with my camera and only just needed to charge it up today! :thumbsup:

I actually plugged my camera into the telly the other week to see how long the batteries would last, you know just spying in on the living room, as you do!
    I started off viewing the shots I alreay had then I switched the dial to P and you can take photos via the TV!
    Anyway, back to the point, I left my camera spying in on the living room from the telly to try and measure how long before the battery went. The camera kept turing itself off going in to sleep mode :rotfl: so I never managed it!

pretty impressive (to me anyway) :smoke:

Hansi - did you get your replacement battery?? Great pigeon :D Did you hand hold for that shot?

Hansi&Garrett : Do you find the eBay bargain battery as good as the one that came with the camera?
  5. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it was a hand held photo, I didn't think it would come out that good. Yes I got my battery but it was faulty. He said (shipping3) he would replace it but he didn't. He did reply to my e mail saying he would send replacement but no replies sisnce. £11 down the drain!
  6. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I haven’t drained the original battery since I go the spare one, but I have had to free some room up on my 512 mb card as it was getting full.
  7. Spoonman2

Spoonman2 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Been reading this thread for a while now.

Some of you people have had this camera for over a month now, and just wanted to know what your impressions of the size, and weight of the camera were now?

I was looking at getting either a Canon S60, or an Olympus mju 410, but after reading this thread, I am swayed in the direction of the 765-UZ.

Be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Spoony
  8. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Spoony, I'm delighted with my 765, hoping to go out today and use it a bit more, but it was a toss up between that and the Minolta Z2 and I think I got the better camera. Lot of people on this site would agree with me I think!
  9. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spoonman,

I beleive the C-765 is 280g and the Canon S60 is 260g so not much between them. The C-765 is fairly small but not too small. It is smaller then the C-750 if you have ever seen that.
    The main thing with the C-7xx series is the zoom lenses,although they do retract right in, it means you can't put this model into your jeans pocket.

I'm very happy with mine - I suggest you get down to a local camera shop and have a feel of the models you are interested in.

Good Luck!

Nicola
  10. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I’m highly deleted with mine. I was originally going to get something bigger but I realised I would only take it out when I specifically knew I was going to take a photo. I wanted something with a good zoom and a good lens. Although it will not fit in my trousers back pocket, it will fit easy in a sports jacket pocket or a casual jacket inside pocket. I usually carry it in an old mini disc player case hung on my belt.
    The weight is not to bad as only the other day I put my hand down to pull it out of the bag and thought I had lost it.
    I put it in the bag with the bottom of the camera to me and the top outwards, as the camera is not too tall(if you get my meaning).

As Nicola suggest it is always best to have a pop down to a shop to compare a few short listed ones.
  11. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Just got mine back off holiday,and found the battery life pretty good,and the picture quality is excellent...very satisfied.
  12. s2oldskool

s2oldskool Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another thumbs-up from a 765 owner - I think I read in one of the reviews that it was the most compact 10x zoom model currently available...
  13. Spoonman2

Spoonman2 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the replies, it`s a nice size camera, and not too heavy as mentioned earlier.

Think I will be ordering one from Amazon at the end of this week, as I have next week off work, and can have a good test with it :thumbsup:

Need to get a case, and larger XD card at the same time, think I`ll get a case that doesn`t make the thing seem twice the size it really is.
    Any ideas?

256 card should be big enough I think.

Thanks,
    Spoony.
  14. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I got a Lexar from gingercat’s tip on page one of the thread, and they manufacture them in conjunction with Olympus but are generally cheaper. To look at I cannot see any difference in the printing on the card either and it does the panorama mode as well.
  15. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I got my memory here., it was 512mb for £80 but I cannot find it now on there site but they have the one you want for £50 which is £34 cheaper than Amazon seem to be doing Olympus for. And it is free postage.
    [EDIT] I just noticed if you get a card reader it is only about £2 if you get it at the same time.
  16. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I still haven't received any e mail replies or my battery, so I guess I've lost the money. I'll wait till this morning's mail to see if it arrives before I put my negative feedback on EBay. Never again, once bitten, twice shy! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  17. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    where'sthe cheapest place online to buy this battery, after having been conned by EBay, I would want to deal with someone reputable.
  18. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry Hansi, I feel really :censored: now seen as it was me that suggested these batteries on the first place :mad:

I'll hunt up and down the internet for you to see what I can come up with :)
  19. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  20. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Don’t feel too bad Nicola you only passed on something that had worked for you. Without looking back I think I did as well. :blush:
  21. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey you two, I'm not blaming either of you. It's just bad luck, but it has taught me not to use EBay in the future. Please don't fell bad about it. :lease:
  22. Spoonman2

Spoonman2 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Right... Have just jumped in the deep end and ordered :

1 X Olympus 765-UZ @ £239.99 inc. from Amazon

1 X Spare LI-10B equivalent battery from 7Dayshop @ £13.79

1 X Olympus 256mb XD card from 7Dayshop @ £53.99 ( £85 at Amazon?! )

The Olympus XD cards seem hard to come by, as they feature the panorama mode aswell, not sure if the Fuji one does this, so went for the Oly`.

Thanks again for your input people, and will let you know how I get on.

Spoony.

P.S. Was £329.99 at Jessops, and they would only go down to £260, and refused to match Amazon, so I got it at Amazon anyway.
  23. Spoonman2

Spoonman2 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Note on the battery front: had an e-mail from 7Dayshop, saying this item is out of stock, and will be back in stock soon :rolleyes:
    Apparently due to high demand.

Spoony.
  24. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Mmmm thats the bottom price they would come down for me, said it was with a local shop price match.
  25. Spoonman2

Spoonman2 Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Now also ordered the leather case from Amazon too £24.59

Seemed silly not having a case for the thing, as its costing me a few quid.

Where did you get your 765 Garrett??

Spoony
  26. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Pixmania for £235 and I had a e-voucher for £9 off so I did well - I can't really beleive Jessops charge £100 over this price really!

I think Garrett got his from Amazon :)
  27. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Yes Nicolas right I got it at Amazon, I ordered it Friday on free delivery and I got it by Monday I was a bit gob smacked.
  28. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just ordered one from Picstop or £15.80 inc postage. Should have done that in the first place.
  29. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I got mine from Amazon too, £236 and two days delivery (free)
  30. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Got my battery today. Perfect!! from picstop :clap: :clap: :clap: