1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Bought Freeview Box But Having Problems..........Please Advice

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by Jay Adam, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Jay Adam

Jay Adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

After posting earlier in the week about wanting to buy a Freeview Box, I ended up buying one this morning from Argos.

Its a Hitachi HDB73 HDMI Digital Set Top Box:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...1151&langId=-1&searchTerms=5321179&Submit=GO

I also bought the following Indoor Aerial:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...151&langId=-1&searchTerms=5344857&Submit=GO >

The installation was pretty straight forward, however I am having problems with the picture. When the channels appear the picture can be seen quite clearly but it keeps going fuzzy, with colour distortion and it freezes briefly. On ITV1 for example this happens every few seconds but on the BBC News Channel these problems occur every few minutes.

The screen also goes blank sometimes with a "No Signal" message appearing for a few seconds before the picture appears again.

When I am switching channels the status bar that appears always shows Signal Strength as being below the Half way mark.

Again I have to reiterrate when the picture is stable, it can be seen quite clearly.

In the same house, my Brother has got a Freeview Box in his room and uses an indoor aerial without any problems.

I think I have avoided the common factors that normally cause this eg Freeview Box and Aerial being near other electrical appliances and other common things that are highlighted as stated in the following link:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

It appears as though this is occuring due to a poor signal level.......if this is the case......is this because of the type of indoor aerial I am using?

Can anyone think of other causes and please give solutions?

Thank you.

Regards,

Jay
  2. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Unless you can see the transmitter from a window an indoor aerial is not going to work properly,There really is no substitute for a aerial on the roof away from interference and moving objects.

andy
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jay Adam

Jay Adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry.....just to give an update......I tried my Brothers Non-Mains operated
    "1 For All" Indoor Aerial and the signal improved slightly but didn't solve the problems:

[​IMG]
  4. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    You need to use a proper aerial. I have tested a Vision V10-040 in the downstairs living room of my mother's house (she has a loft aerial) and the result was brilliant. But it's long so you might have trouble disguising it. It's all a choice between form and function. If you insist on "small and pretty" then you probably won't get performance. However, if you insist on "pretty", nip down to Argos and get a Telecam 2000. (The version *without* the amplifier.) If it doesn't work, you can return it for a refund.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Did you actually check the Wolfbane site as advised in your first post enquiring about Freesat boxes?
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835623
    About the aerial you have purchased - I said in that post
    "You say that you have signal problems and, depending on the results you get from Wolfbane, I would strongly doubt that the aerial you are considering will be suitable.
    Please post your results"
  6. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Try

1) Your box in brother's room with brother's aerial. If no good - it's the box. If good
    2) Your box his room your ae - if no good, it's the ae. If good, it's the room. Prove this by seeing if his box works in your room.
  7. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
    I's obvious that your brothers room is the direction the signal is coming from so if the signal has to pass thriugh walls it is going to weaken it.
    One thing i'm thinking is if your brother is getting good recepion in his room on an idoor aerial,you could try an aerial in the loft then get a two way amplifier (that splits the signal in two)then you have two outputs one to your and one to your brothers room.
    I must point out there is guarantees that it will work but if you can get a good signal on an indoor aerial then a decent outdoor aerial will probibly work in the loft.

andy
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jay Adam

Jay Adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Sorry Fernandez.......I actually did go to the wolfbane site but didn't understand the results!.......I'm not a technical person and I couldn't make sense of the information that came up after typing in my post code.

I know if I had asked someone probably would've been kind enough to explain things to me in layman's terms. Here's the link after putting in my postcode:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&HT=10&OS=E1

Anyone know which indoor aerial might most closely meet my requirements and the suggestion made on wolfbane.........the wolfbane website says:

a minimum would probably be a good multi-director Yagi array with a low-noise masthead amplifier.

Is the above the aerial they are suggesting and if so, isn't it going to be quite expensive?

Please advice.

Regards,

Jay
  9. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    The link you give shows that you are 7 miles from the Crystal Palace transmitter and that a set-top aerial is recommended.
    So, I'm slightly confused as to where the "..a minimum would probably be a good multi-director Yagi array with a low-noise masthead amplifier." comes from:confused:
    That is something that will never be achieved with a set-top aerial and is based on the aerial being fitted outdoors at a height of 10M clear of obstructions.
    Perhaps you could explain further
  10. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Hola Fernandez - that saved me the effort of saying the same thing. I was trying to see how to post the image of thee wolfbane output. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO?

His link still says "Set-top" even at 1 metre. But I don't think it knows about buildings in the way?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Jay - the wolfbane first shows for the 6 transmitted Multiplex andily named 1/2/a/b/c/d the FREQUENCY CHANNEL OF TRANSMISSION (UHF), the Envelope Radiated Power (ie strength) and the height of the transmitting aerial (all 321m here, but sometimes they vary, eg one above another on a mast)

Then rec Aerial Group; then Vertical or Horizontal transmission polarisation; then grid ref and ground height, then FIELD STRENGTH where you are (73 is lots), how far away and direction; then Antenna suggestion (usually conservative).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Screenshot of the OPs Wolfbane link

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Jay Adam

Jay Adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd give an update.......I took the HDB73 HDMI Freeview Box back to Argos and they replaced it with the same model.......I returned the aerial I bought and decided to exchange it for the Telecam 2000 (£9.99), which was originally recommended by SamRadford, and having read good reviews about it online and guided towards it by radioredcat........the signal and picture quality is very good now!

I've got the Telecam 2000 on top of the telly without making any other adjustments from before........satisfied with the results and am surprised bearing in mind it is an all plastic aerial........I hope it stays this way and this Box is reliable!

Thank you all for your help:thumbsup:

Regards,

Jay
  14. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
    No problem thats what we are here for and i'm glad youv'e got things sorted out.

andy
  15. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Ah well it's not ALL plastic. Those traces of metal are as good as the same size in solid aluminium.

I presume it now all works in YOUR room - which faces the transmitter?

Anyway, as one says in the modern vernacular "SORTED"
  16. Jay Adam

Jay Adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that you mentioned it.........your right.......very subtle traces of metal

It is in MY room mate........as the signal in the other rooms is better, I think the transmitter may be on the other side of the house.

My aerial hasn't even been placed near the window.......it seems like a good piece
    of equipment!

This is an excellent forum, I'm glad I found it and I shall be recommending it.

Thanks again.

Jay
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008