Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Bought a MHZs CD88E - Audio Blasphemy

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by Ianfromnotts, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Active Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Bought a MHZs CD88E the other day, having read all the reports about dubious marketing cheap components and claims of outright lies by sellers I was a bit wary but hey ho some how the underlying message always seemed to be that these were/are very good CD players.

From the first CD I was mighty impressed it was far far better than I ever expected. Swapping out the JJ output tubes for a pair of Mullards opened out the sound stage a little

After a week of serious listening just for fun I swapped back to the Touch/Dac & Transport/Dac options - boy was I disappointed everything sounded so flat and boring not at all like I remembered. The CD88 had better bass, better sound stage, imaging, better dynamics and better PRAT way way better. I was quite amazed even more so as so many people have slated this CD player.

Downsides - it is a tad on the bright side and its not inky black silence when there's no music, cant hear anything as such but I sense some thing is playing even if i cant hear it.

If you ever see one of these at a good price I say just buy it - put up with having CD cases littering up the room and struggling to load CDs into a top loader and relegate the Touch to playing Linn radio.

Audio Blasphemy - I deserve all I get

PS: I also have the subs back in use on the music system - double, or is that treble, blasphemy
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. coruja

coruja Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Those automatically added links are absolutely mad. I just clicked on the first one expecting to see the CDP you described and I was bemused to find myself looking at a Lenco portable CDP!

Anyway, here is a link to the CDP you mentioned: CD88E

All I can say is cool, the more people experiment with hi-fi the better. :smashin:
  3. Ianfromnotts

Ratings:
    +173
    auto links stink but I cant remove them
  4. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Who is this company called audio blasphemy :D Maybe CD players do have a future?

I posted this tongue-in-cheek post yesterday in the usb dac what's the big deal thread:

I've been thinking about the problem of getting around the crappy usb interface. What we need is the best bits (the asynchronous part) without the cable uncertainty. It would probably be good to have it in one box and give it a good power supply - none of this usb-powered junk, no siree. Of course, it gets tiresome ripping CDs to disk so it should be able to play them. Oh yes it should have a name - I suggest CD player, oh and a slogan - "perfect sound forever" will do.

I'm a big fan of computer audio but with the news now that Bryston will join others in not making/developing CD players I can't help thinking it's a shame. Companies have to make a profit though so I guess if they can't get the parts and no one is buying them .....
  5. Ianfromnotts

Ratings:
    +173
    Probably just a case that valve output stage adds a certain flavour to the sounds that gels with me and my system. There are some knowledgeable people who appear to be suggesting that asynchronous usb is more hype than any really meaningful step forward in quality
  6. hermano

hermano Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the MHZs CD88E. I am going to stick mine up on ebay. Apart from your enquiry no one here seemed interested. Which I think is strange considering how good they are.