Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jurassic Park boxset

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by brian.w, Sep 9, 2011.

1. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    It's £39.99 in HMV, Picked mine up in Morrison's for £29.99, They were all open and the cashier had to place all the discs into the Boxset :eek:
  2. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi TheDot,

Standard Set is £34-99 I think, or therabouts, and the Tin Set is going for £54-99.

I'd much rather wait, however, until "Jurassic Park" is released on its own, as I don't real have much interest in the other two. :( Failing that, like with the "Star Wars Saga" set, I'll be waiting till the prices get slashed around Christmas time, and pick the set up then. Not paying £40-£55 for a "Jurassic Park" set that's not worth more than half that amount in my view. :(

Pooch
  3. brian.w

brian.w Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Got mine from amazon today not the best i have seen this sort of thing packed i think my back to the future tin from blockbuster was better packed anyway it was just placed inside a box with a large bit of brown paper wrapped around it i suppose to stop it moving around too much,nothing wrapped around tin,Had a look no sign of damage or dents,thought i take the seal off like i did with my bttf tin and took the cardboard part away to find a small ding,nothing much and would have not been noticed if card had been left on,i was able to push it back out from inside the tin and dont even know now.
    But if anyone else has opened there tin set what did they thin of the poster,mine seems to have funny curve lines near the folds and other lines there which seems strange on the black side of poster,if i had been planning on framing it then it would not have been idea as not the best looking or should i say coniditon poster i have seen,maybe just mine or they are all that,cheap tat.
    As others have said sure not as good value as the bttf tin,why did i get it,i suppose cause it goes with my bttf tin,other than that i would have just got the standard version.
  4. tutu

tutu Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Do blockbuster still take the disks out of the box?
  5. kingkarl

kingkarl Active Member

Ratings:
    +660
    No mine was fully sealed in the shop when I collected , they had a stack of them behind the counter :smashin:

Can't stand my discs undone and stuffed in cardboard sleeves , Morrisons do this a lot and I always ask at customer services desk if they are sealed before purchasing.
  6. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch Member

Ratings:
    +28
    The PQ is a mixed bag for me, some scenes show extreme grain, (in the visitor's centre on the cinema carousel thing) to some scenes, which for me, had an almost 3D feel to it.

The in-the-box extras are cheap but I suppose that's the fault of the form-factor. I still have the PAL LD and because of the 12'' form-factor, the booklets are obviously bigger and more substantial and even the R1 DVD deluxe double-width boxset has better in-the-box extras.
  7. The SMF

The SMF Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    just finished the boxset, very happy with my purchase on this, Audio Track on the 1st film just cannot be touched by anything i dont think, it will blow you away :)
  8. Random Hajile

Random Hajile Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Just watched jurassic park, overall pleased with the quality. Most up close shots looked crisp and detailed and benefited from the extra resolution. I noticed grain to, but didnt bother me as i prefer a little grain over dnr any day. As for sound, really really really good. John williams soundtrack sounds as good as ever and when the raptors and t rex are about, you better watch out :)
  9. RedDevil85

RedDevil85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,956
  10. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Nice review. Kinda how I saw it. Could do better but it'll do.

Was surprised when I saw the advert and it said "digitally remastered"
    Didn't seem like there was too much effort put in

Shame when you get fantastic remasters like
    James bond (moonraker on itv4 looked fantastic on pj other night so must get br)
    Gladiator v2
    Bttf
    Close encounters
  11. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    BTTF got a "fantastic" remaster? I must have missed that one...
  12. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    I watched Lost World yesterday afternoon. It's another disapppointingly soft transfer like Jurassic Park IMO, though there was the odd nice-looking shot here and there, usually when there were no effects on the screen!!! It's such a shame that the first two movies have not been given the love and care they deserved from Universal. They should look amazing on BD not merely OK. :(

I've always had a soft spot for this movie as it had two of the best set-pieces in the trilogy, namely the superb T-Rex attack on the trailer and the homage to the Godzilla/King Kong movies at the end when the T-Rex goes on the rampage in San Diego.
  13. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +235
    Lavish boxset? Lavish is hardly a word I'd use to describe Universal's cheap 'n' nasty BD packaging for Jurassic Park. Unlike the Star Wars set there's no booklet, just a sheet with the serial number for the useless digital copies that fill up half the package. The contents of the BD discs are better in terms of extras and there's an excellent 7.1 audio track but the picture could and should have been so much better IMO if Universal had actually put their hearts into it.
  14. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +597
    That's what I had heard. And the versions on sky seem very good
  15. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +235
    I was definitely more impressed with Back to the Future trilogy on BD then I have been with the first two Jurassic Park movies I've watched.
  16. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,303
    If anyone would like to donate me their Digital Copy codes i would be very grateful :D
  17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,511
    They aren't bad but like JP they could be better if Universal had actually put some effort into them instead of just applying DNR and EE to old masters :(

Thankfully the soundtracks are fantastic on both BTTF and the JP Trilogies so at least we have that :D
  18. Home PC Nut

Home PC Nut Member

Ratings:
    +39
    JP1 looks terrible its definately a very old master with excessive DNR. The big giveaway is certain scenes where no DNR is used the detail comes though then later DNR = waxy processed look. JP2 looks amazing but JP1 is lets face it the best movie & biggest selling point of the franchise.

Universal did not give JP1 the love it deserved PQ wise and its their highest grossing picture ever so what chance does ET have of looking great in 2012???
  19. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +235
    @Home PC Nut - I actually thought Lost World looked worse than Jurassic Park but not by a huge amount; it just looks a tad softer overall, possibly because the soft shots are where there are effects and the second movie has far more of them than the first The third movie is supposed to have the best transfer. I plan on it watching that this weekend.
  20. museumsteve

museumsteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +746
    I finished watching the boxset and I think on all the movies I forgot about the PQ as soon as the action started. The sound definately saved the set.
    I'm sure I'd be first in line if they end up doing a remastered set in the future..but for now the sound is enough to keep me happy and I'll use them to show off my Earthquake miniquakes ;)
  21. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
  22. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,402
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  23. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    ^^^

Aye, Robert Siegel does write some good stuff. The Close Encounters making of was excellent.