Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JRiver media player is the ultimate.

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by lbstyling, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Chill out guys.

Has politeness gone out of the window in 2012?

Personal attacks for voiceing an opinion is unfair.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. StockportJambo

StockportJambo New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I assure you I am my own person! Yes, I haven't posted on here much, but I do lurk from time to time. Most of it goes over my head to tell the truth, or talking about stuff that doesn't interest me. I built and setup my own HTPC myself, and am happy with it for now. I don't tend to post unless I need help or there's something I know about... and I know a bit about MP & JRMC and the relative merits of each, because as I said, I've been using them both for years.

Apologies if you thought I was "spamming". I thought I could add something to the discussion because I have no vested interest either way. :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
  3. Harry Cadders

Harry Cadders Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Shame, I was quite enjoying this thread it and it did make me go and look at Jriver website although I thought it was cack so didn't stay long. I wonder if anyone went to look and actually bought the software. Thanks for the link to other thread Grangey all looks very odd.
  4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Not personal but pointing out suspicous behaviour.
    I look at it after the OP and found paid for addons required, broken links for other addons etc.
  5. robbo100

robbo100 Member

Ratings:
    +244
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. StockportJambo

StockportJambo New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting thread Rob, thanks, but different to what I was asking originally.

I don't own a TV card (worth speaking of), plus it was for my main PC rather than the living room HTPC.

Also, I'm on Virgin now. :laugh:

One day I will get a handle on it all and have everything through the HTPC including TV, but at the moment they are still very separate boxes. :thumbsup:
  7. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Well guys there's no doubt about the fact that the OP is passionate about this product, but if we banned people for being passionate then there's a few of you I wouldn't be talking to. I try not to hand out red cards for attacking people's integrity without evidence so I hope you will take my "trimming" with good grace! If any of you are concerned with the content or source of postings, then please use the report post button (which has been done and I thank you for) and it will be acted on more promptly.

On following this thread, I note that the title stipulates "media player" not media center. Also, as someone who has personally flirted with MP on 3 occasions and ended up with a "broken" HTPC, I can see the attraction for something less complicated and demanding of attention. Also interestingly the thread has attracted a fellow user so the opinions are not only those of the OP. I wouldn't dream of spending $50 on something when W7MC meets most of my needs.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. MrRiver

MrRiver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The applicatioon was begun in1998 when the Diamond Rio was just launched. The first 8 versions were called "Media Jukebox". When we added video and photos, it became "Media Center", now "JRiver Media Center". Before 1998, we did network software (TCP/IP and terminal emulation).

JRiver has no connection with lbstyling except that he is a user of our software. I admire his courage though.

You've got a great forum here. I had never taken a good look. Have fun.

Jim Hillegass
    JRiver
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MrRiver

MrRiver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    As I said above, lbstying has no connection with JRiver. I think his enthusiasm is genuine.

I signed up to be able to comment. Sorry if that's against the rules. Say the word and I'll withdraw.

Jim Hillegass
    CEO, JRiver
  10. robbo100

robbo100 Member

Ratings:
    +244
    I think lbstyling would have been best using a different username on AVForums than he does on the JRiver forum to be honest: JRiver on Avforums discussion

Rather than having all of these "my software is better than your software" rants which always kick off (which are very difficult to give balance to, since I doubt anyone has tried all the different options), would it be possible to create a sticky which has a list of all the capabilities that people use in an HTPC / Media Centre and then have this populated for each software. This could even be done in excel (to make the list more comprehensive) and kept up to date as an attachment. It could include hyperlinks to the appropriate web locations for plugins or guides to help users too.

The current sticky is good, but details of the software is a little out of date, and tend if the sticky OP doesn't want to re-test a bit of software then the first post won't get updated.

Might this work and be useful for us all to track the capability of other software, and for new users to make an educated judgement as to what they want to try???
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    Not at all Jim we always encourage new members and the fact you run a business doesnt break any rules either. You have to take the point in context though that it is/was highly suspecious that you suddenly appear the second lbstyling suddenly has mental marketing moment and start praising JRiver as if it was jesus re-incarnated accross multiple forums on the same website.

What would have been far better is if lbstyling posed the post in a far more openly discussive way rather than an all out attack against your open source competitors- which clearly he had a big lack of knowledge of. This doesnt represent your company in a good way- and I appreciate that this is not your fault or responsibility as he doesnt have any association with you apparently... but equally as a "CEO" I find it HIGHLY irresponsible of you to have your first comment on a thread in a forum of this size with the involvement the thread had in questioning your product- especially when its being represented by only a user- that your first comment shouldnt be about your lack of "quick" financial gain.

If you want to make your product a success I suggest you become involved in a for more posative sence as clearly for a product to be created 12 years ago and to only have a handful of members- something needs to change. From the sounds of it its not so much the product as it sounds like it has a good edge if people are willing to pay for it.

Now, you wont be allowed to start marketing etc on these forums as that is against the rules without being an assured advertiser, but the least you could do is offer a somewhat more insightful input to maybe rectify how your product has been thrown at people than it just take a complete back seat.

As my original post first said, I for one am still very much open ears as to what makes this product stand out against its competitors, and if those are enough to make me part with £25 (funny how thats suddenly changed from $50) then I would. But I am get to be articulated as to why this is worth my time when I'm using another solution currently- just like most others will be. Your website doesnt really do much in this sense either...
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge Member

Ratings:
    +14
    This is a *really* good idea. I find it difficult to keep up with the various changes/new features that crop up from time to time, especially when wiki's for these various bits of software are months/years behind the actual latest version of the software. A repository of 'features' and how to get them working would be excellent.

SBR
  13. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge Member

Ratings:
    +14
    @Grangey

Good post! Maybe we should delete the first page of posts and restart this discussion in a more calm manner! As I stated before *all* of these bits of software have their merits and tit for tat hotheaded sniping is never helpful. Robbo's idea is a great one.

SBR

Edit: Oh and for the record - I have no affiliation with jRiver other than being invited to 'beta test' some of their 'nightlies' after helping them get DVB-T2 sorted for UK HD channels (a difficult thing to do from their US office!).
  14. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    You're as welcome as anyone else, although we have quite tight rules on advertising and promotion of a company, that extends to having your company name as your user name, so an admin will rename you shortly, you can request a new username in the Forum Options as an admin will rename you to Member 5697402 (or similar).

The only thing you need to know is that you are unable to heavily promote your company or their products unless you are an advertiser here, that's just to ensure fairness to advertisers :)

Thank you for taking the time in signing up and helping address some issues.
  15. MrRiver

MrRiver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm JimH or jriver on other forums. JimH isn't available.

I think you might reconsider that rule. People use their usernames to promote all kinds of things. Why forbid a business?

If Google or Apple wanted to post here, would you make them feel unwelcome?

How about changing it to River?
  16. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Im actually very pleased with the way this thead went!!;):laugh:

If I posted a thread with the title 'Is anyone else using JRiver' and preceded to say politely that I find it 'works for me' This thread would have been 2 posts long and 20 ppl would have look at it.
    Thats what happened with makeMKV when I posted about that some time ago. And thats another good program.

I did it because of this, and also because the developers seam very humble about there program, and they need not be. You need a blunt tool to get noticed sometimes :D

I wonder how many will try the demo to see if Im right after this thread? Oh im sure it wont work best for everyone for various individual unknown reasons, but its damn good.
  17. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Is there any info guide on that as this is somthing Ill be doing soon? Recommended DVB-T2 stick?

PS- a sticky with a Youtube video in setup of Jriver would be awsome I think. We should ask the devopment team if they would do it, or if they would like me or someone too- this is the 21st century and all that now!
  18. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    I'm afraid I don't make the rules or have the power to reconsider them. I also don't have the power to change names, but you can request a different name, such as River, I see no reason why that wouldn't be allowed.

The reason the rule is in place is using your business name as your forum name is a way of making people familiar with it and promoting it - and as a business makes money for those who run it, it makes sense. And as advertising pays for the running of the forums the site owner likes to make it worth advertisers paying - by letting them advertise where the would not be able to as a standard member. If you want to raise issue with the rule you'll have to post in the Feedback forum where the site owner can address it, mods just help enforce the rules :)
  19. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    *cough XBMC stickie cough*:rolleyes:
  20. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    *cough cough* xbmc isnt a business *cough cough* nore is it money making *cough cough* nor is my username xbmc *cough cough* try and have some form of valid argument if your questioning a mod who is explaining why the rules are in place *cough cough*.

Im off to get some beachams cough syrup.....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I just put the card in my PC, downloaded the latest drivers from the card manufacturers website. JRiver found the card automatically. Scan for channels in the TV menu and it found the channels automatically (incl. HD since just before Xmas). Only for terrestrial at the moment though - DVB-S would make me a happy bunny ;) (especially if it allowed mdapifilter :D ).

Getting an EPG is a different matter. You need something that produces an xmltv file. Various options for this - current favourite is EPG collector which gets the OTA data from the broadcast stream. (Muchos gracias to the forum here for pointing me to this!)

If you get lost with it then pip me in the jriver forum and I'll gladly help.

SBR
    Edit: Sorry just saw your edit: card I use with no problem is Blackgold 3600 - Dual DVB-T2/DVB-S2 - I figured that *if* I ever wanted to record 4 channels at once that at least 2 would be available on terrestrial! Plus the fact that I only have 2 LNB feeds into the lounge! Not cheap, but looks well made. I have no experience of other cards for PC. I had a stick for my Mac once, but it didn't play nice in my PC when I tried it (not a surprise really!)
  22. bryanchicken

bryanchicken Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Anyway....

i also think the idea by robbo was a really good one, but it seems to have been drowned out a little (except by sandy b ridge who also noticed).

Perhaps a sticky in a table format. Features down the left (because they are likely to be numerous) and software up top (less numerous). Then colour the box red/orange/green for unsupported/partially supported or WIP/supported.

The problem is, keeping it updated, someone needs to be responsible and i highly doubt anyone uses all the softwares in anger and knows the features inside out.
    Also, what goes i the "features" list? How low level do you go? There are small things that matter a lot to me but i doubt they mean squat to most other people.
    Still, i think its a great idea :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    Certainly a good idea, but as you say there are problems with requiring updated contributions to it. If anyone does want to do one I think it would be a useful thread.
  24. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +780
    I too agree in principle robbos suggestion is a good one,

but tbh I dont think it can work as perticularly in the relms of xbm and media portal, its list of what it can do for example is potentially never ending- that is one of the many perks of it being open source. What im trying to get at be it at a top level or really detailled level is if you want to do something with either of these solutions- you can. If you want to use LAV filters and the rest of the stuff JRivers does, you can- hell if you want to use the JRivers player with XBMC (and id assume MP)- you can.

So a table of cans and cants I dont think would work so well as it would just look a complete mess, would get out of date, and would just be wasted.

The reason I started the XBMC setup and support thread and pirticularly the first post of detailing its capabilities, is because I GUENUINLY hoped this would inspire other users to do the same for their preffered front end- perticularly mediaportal.

The reason I originally decided to create the thread was when I first got my pc I was frankly too afraid to give xbmc a go as I was plaiged with misinformation of how complicated it was to set up. So i think I spent about a year trying 7MC, then MediaBrowser, then MyMovies, and none of them could do what I really wanted them to- yet I had the vision what I wanted was completely possible. So one day I took the dive and I was SOOOOOO FRUSTRATED that the hours and hours I had spent tweeking things through 7MC and the MB/ MyMovies plugins to get special little icons, downloading this, changing that, playing with this, were wasted because it was done within seconds of XBMC.

In an ideal world what we would see is 4 stickys just like mine for the respected front ends, giving people an overview of what it can do and how to do it, but most importantly a visual guide to show how simple or complex it is to setup for an average users usage (so movies, music, tv, games, programs, etc).

There are many things that will scare people off even with xbmc on face value such as setting up an external player, and I spent time really understanding what it was asking and how to get it working, but now I do again I see how simple it is and luckily seem to have been able to articulate and show that to people (as xbmc wiki leaves much to be desired- one of the weaknesses of having changed so much from version 9 to dharma).

The fact is, even I as the xbmc flag waver would happily give MP a go for example and JRiver IF SOMEONE SPENT THE TIME LIKE I HAVE PROPERLY DETAILING, AND WALKING THROUGH how it works and how to set it up.

That way users can form their own decision on whether the user input needed is something they are comfortable with or whether they think there is an easier solution which will do what they want it to.

Lets not forget, everyones requirements and visions are different, so in that respect- knowledge is power. I think the reason XBMC has been so well adopted at least on this forum is because of my sticky, but if there were others I think this wouldnt be the case.
  25. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Apologies for getting narked with this thread, so my post was deleted. I blew a fuse at someone appearing to be using what I consider a very valuable forum as a marketing tool.

I'd say JRiver has got some publicity as a result of this clumsy plugging. Whether that is good publicity is another matter.
  26. bryanchicken

bryanchicken Member

Ratings:
    +155
    true true.
    Plus, one of the killer things for me is "ease of setup". That can be a pretty subjective thing. I recently tried MP and it took me a day (not a solid day, i do have to work :rotfl:, but a long time) just to get to the stage i'm at with xbmc after about an hour (most of which is spent making tea while the library updates). And that includes TV.
    I'm sure others are the other way round though.

That and cross-platform-erm-ness are my main ones. I'd imagine being cross-platform is less important to quite a lot of others.
  27. Sandy B Ridge

Sandy B Ridge Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Ha! Cheeky! A couple of months ago I would have agreed with you.... Thankfully all sorted now!

Now go and wash your mouth out with soap!

SBR
  28. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Ok, so maybe now this thread should focus on the features that JRiver has of interest.
    The best part for me is that it has replaced my processor altogether. This is what really makes it worth the money to me. Most if not all processors are not capable of effective eq because they don't use accurate calibrated mics, and (bar audessey multi eqx32- which is big money!) they have limited bands for adjustment as low as 5 or 7 and usually have little if any control over the sub. You have unlimited control when using JRiver. Make your sub measure flat or make a house curve -whatever you want!
    Speaker distances can be set, and audio delayed/advanced to time correctly to the picture.
  29. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Presumably you're talking about calibrating out the imperfect frequency response of the speakers and room.

I can't help thinking there must be a penalty for doing this - yes, the frequency response will be flatter, but a computer can only operate digitally, using integers. Surely any "correction" applied to the audio will also add distortion?

Personally, I'd rather leave the sound in its native format and throw it straight out of the speakers, as it was recorded. Less "correct" but more pure. If it's a bit light at either end I twiddle the bass and treble knobs on the amp. As these are analogue controls after the DAC, they won't have any bizarre effects on the data.
  30. MrRiver

MrRiver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The math used for this DSP effect would be floating point. The subject is "convolution". It's an area we're working in right now with our player.

I think lbstyling was referring to what we call "Room Correction", a much more basic approach.