1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Horwood to be buried

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Foebane72, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Foebane72

Foebane72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    This story has always horrified me:
    BBC News - Family of man hanged in Bristol in 1821 seek burial

I've read several accounts on this, and the most disturbing thing I find about this is the surgeon, Smith, who wanted this boy's body after hanging so badly, and was determined to get him dissected, especially with his skin of "such wonderful complexion". He even denied Horwood's family the body!

What's more, it was Smith who operated on Balsom and trepanned her head to relieve the pressure on her brain caused by the thrown pebble, and that it got infected. So in a way, it was Smith who may have killed her. Horwood should've gone down for manslaughter instead.

What I find disgusting though is that whilst the skeleton may be given a dignified burial, part of Horwood is still covering a book in the Bristol Records office!!

Maybe they should rebind the book and put the tanned skin in with the skeleton. It's truly revolting that a surgeon could do this, although I've heard that this case is not unique.
  2. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    I'm more amazed that anybody cares about this one way or another! I've read the BBC article and come to the conclusion that even if it was one of my own ancestors I still wouldn't care one way or another! I mean its not as if there is anyone alive who remembers him is it. And what about the family / descendants of the girl he murdered? Should they have a say in the matter?
  3. Foebane72

Foebane72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Murder is not the right word, I'm still convinced she would've survived if not for the incompetence of the surgeon.

Of course, if they had a say, then not knowing any better, they would demand the skeleton remain in the cupboard.
  4. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,340

Seeing as he was hung for the murder of the girl then murder is the right word!
    The treatment she received may amount to negligence now but it would not break the chain of causation and remove him from being responsible for her death by his own intentional actions.
    She would not have received the injury if not for his actions, making him responsible. This is the law, not my opinion.

No different from man A in the street punching another man (B) who falls to the floor, fractures in skull on a curb and dies as a result of brain damage caused by the fractured skull. Man A would be held accountable for man B's death.
  5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,819
    Manslaughter though, not murder.

Video: Former boxer kills man with 'killer punch' | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Phil57

Phil57 Active Member

Ratings:
    +482
  7. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,673
    and his confession seems to show intent, imho
  8. Foebane72

Foebane72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Wow, there's a truly medieval attitude to murderers from centuries past here, and it's well into the 21st Century!

What are you going to do next, insist the skeleton is buried at a crossroads with a stake through where the heart would be?

Get with the times, man!
  9. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Please explain what you mean by this? I'm not suggesting the murderer was a witch or vampire so there would be no need for the stake or crossroads.

I was first stating that I'm surprised that anyone cares about the skeleton and secondly explained why I stated he was a murderer and how in todays English law he could still be convicted of Murder (although I do agree a charge of Manslaughter would be more appropriate). I didn't put my own opinion or attitude into any part of it!
  10. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    AFAIAC, once hanged he's paid his price and the body should always have been treated with respect. A shame it never was.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    There are few things more formidable than an old lady with a lot of spare time...
  12. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +617
    If his skeleton is to be buried, then the book bound with his skin should also be buried. The pages can be removed and kept.
  13. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,394
    1821 just let it go.... could understand if it was 1981 but come on :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  14. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    My thoughts exactly. Why is this even considered newsworthy?
  15. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,673
  16. Foebane72

Foebane72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Well, buried with respect inside prison walls rather than a regular cemetery, perhaps. Does that still happen?

And by your logic, then William Burke, the Edinburgh body-snatcher, should also be buried. His skeleton hangs in a glass case as well, in some museum somewhere. It was featured in the recent movie starring Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis.
  17. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    Capital Punishment doesn't still happen but if it did it probably would. I certainly know of one UK prison where the staff car park is built over noose victim's graves.
  18. Foebane72

Foebane72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Another icky Crime and Punishment fact, eh?

What about nowadays? Lifers, etc? I suppose they get buried in public cemeteries?