1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jessops vs Currys vs John Lewis warranty for Lumix G2?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by delude, Jul 8, 2010.

1. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, so I've been calling up just about everywhere regarding buying a Lumix G2.

The cheapest I can get it at Jessops and Currys is £549.99, I'm not 100% sure of Currys warranty but the guy on the phone at Jessops said that they have a 3 year accidental warranty for £79 that would cover, well, any accidental damage.

I called up John Lewis and they said that as long as the product is in stock in any shop in the country that they are willing to price match (I should be able to find it cheaper!) They also offer an extended warranty for £47 that includes accidental damage.

Has anybody got any experience with any of these accidental damage warranties? If I buy the Panasonic Lumix G2 from a store then I will a 3 year warranty anyway due to their promotion, but I am looking for accidental damage cover.

Thanks loads in advance!!
  2. ncmoody

ncmoody Member

Ratings:
    +129
    I am highly prejudiced, My vote would be 100% John Lewis.
    There are plenty of horror stories about the nonesistant customer service at both Jessies and Currys.

You do not hear many complaints about John Lewis (no I do not work for them)

Whatever the 3 year accedental damage cover was offered.
    That can be purchased from a third party and may even be part of your household or holiday insurance.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. eddiewood

eddiewood Active Member

Ratings:
    +833
    How much is accidental on your house contents insurance?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds good to me, if John Lewis can price match the stores I gave them then I'll be over the moon. In Jessops and Currys I could only buy the black Lumix G2, whereas John Lewis have the blue one!

I'll have to look into the accidental cover, and what the best option will be.

No idea, I'll have to talk to my parents ;)

Thanks guys!
  5. eddiewood

eddiewood Active Member

Ratings:
    +833
    Be sure that it is Personal Accidental Cover, so it covers you OUTSIDE your home. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Will do. Are there many that cover abroad too?
  7. eddiewood

eddiewood Active Member

Ratings:
    +833
    No idea about that.
  8. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks anyway :)

I'm just waiting for John Lewis to get back to me about whether they can price match or not. I was told it would take a few days as they are busy with all their clearance stuff, so I'm hoping they'll call me or something.
  9. ush flynn

ush flynn Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I'm looking for a blue one also. If you get it price matched at John Lewis could you let me know? I've just sold my D80 kit to move to micro 4/3
  10. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sure thing! I was literally on the phone for about 2 hours this morning calling all sorts of different shops trying to find the best deal.

Every shop bar John Lewis said that the coloured ones can only be sold for the full price as they have to be specially ordered. The manager of a Jessops store, who I'm pretty sure had no idea about the Panasonic cameras, was saying that for every few hundred of the black model produced, only one red or blue is produced. Sounded like he was making that up to me, probably just wanted to me to stick with them and buy the black.

I'll post here and PM you when they get back to me :)
  11. ush flynn

ush flynn Member

Ratings:
    +147
    A long time ago i used to work for Jessops so that doesn't surprise me. However Panasonic have been doing blue and red cameras for years and they do seem a bit rarer. Usually not available in the UK. I can see the Blue kit on ebay for 529 but i'd rather not go there!
  12. Mike.P®

Mike.P® Active Member

Ratings:
    +486
    £529 .. excellent retailer, can recommend them 100%

I got £5k of camera cover incl accidental/old for new/abroad for £50 on my household policy.
  13. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been watching eBay but can't see it anywhere...

I was looking at SRS, but I'm after the 3 year Panasonic warranty too, which can only be claimed when bought in-store (and I'm not near Watford).

If John Lewis fail to price match £509 then I'll get them to match £529.
  14. Mike.P®

Mike.P® Active Member

Ratings:
    +486
    Ah yes.. thought it was only the cashback you lost but its the warranty as well.
  15. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    DONT DO IT! I have a Blue G2, and my old Nikon D50 with kit lens trounces it!
    The G2 is going back tomorrow :(
  16. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Could you explain a little more with pics perhaps?

I'm an absolute newbie to the world of cameras, but what you're saying sounds a bit general. I'm sure it takes a bit of time adapting and figuring out all of the settings when changing camera brands, especially since the D50 was put on the market in 2005. I'm sure there are loads of differences, only time will help you adapt!

I'm fixed on the G2 anyways, there are loads of possibilities and there will only be more lenses produced for micro four thirds, so I'm happy. Having played around with one in John Lewis I think it's amazing to say the least.
  17. paulgjohnston

paulgjohnston Member

Ratings:
    +66

£30 back as well from Panasonic?
  18. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    The shots you took in JL, did you view them on a computer? I bet not! I have had a GF1 since it came out, so I am very familiar with these cameras, and I have pictures on my computer shot with the GF and a Nikon D5000/D50 and they are all better than the G2! I am sorry to bring bad news, in fact, I called the dealer where I got it from and he agreed with me that its not as good as the G1 :(
  19. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I asked if you could include a bit more detail? 'Better' is so vague lol

Some of the photos here look pretty good to me:

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=lumix g2&w=1162769@N21&m=pool

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gallery/g2.html
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  20. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I am just putting a couple up on flickr, they will be on here shortly.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1

EDIT: Just seen a pretty good example of the video quality too:

http://vimeo.com/12278895
  22. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I have to say, the Video is good.
  25. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
  26. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that the better image there is the D50, but they are both different styles of shots so it's really quite hard to compare. I don't have the advantage of owning both so cannot tell, but from what I've seen I think the G2 will be fine for me. If I have any problems then I'll send it back :)

Thanks so much for the links too.
  27. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Sorry, im not having much luck posting pix on here tonight! The pictures are up on flicker anyhow, see what you think.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. delude

delude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Honestly, on my MacBook Pro's native screen I think the G2 image looks 'better'. The walls don't appear pink to me at all. Maybe it's the colour profile and calibration but the colours don't look bad?
  29. ush flynn

ush flynn Member

Ratings:
    +147
    On My macbook the G2 image appeals to me more. Any problems with colour im fully able to correct if need be, whether that be in post or on camera.

The reason for the change in my case is that the G2 has on offer features which i will fully take advantage of. I used to be into my photography. I have other hobbies but have always loved photography. I own a Panny LX2 which gets far more use these days than the D80. I've put 18000+ images through the D80, not a lot but i don't burst or bracket. and i've put nearly 11,000 through the LX2 and probably around 20k through hired cameras
    I've recently switched career paths, from a graphic designer and event photographer to a marine livestock retailer working from home/workshop
    I still freelance for my old employer. But i hire a D300/grip and some faster lenses. I was never set up to shoot conferences in low light with my own gear so i always hired. I still do. So the D80 didnt get used for that

When i photograph the corals that im selling i have to stoop down with the D80 on a tripod to frame the shot then dial in the settings and re-tune the white balance (never seems to be the same day to day or in different sections of the tank) which to be honest, frustrates me, does my back in and slows me down.

Back in the old days i've owned Canon G2s and G5's (remember those) and i used to love the flip out screen.
    In the future i can see myself propping the Panny G2 on my tripod infront of the aquariums, and using the live view on a tilted screen to compose and tune my images as well as be able to record some HD movies of the tanks. Which is something i hope to be able to do well to set me apart from other retailers.

I just feel that the G2 is going to suit my needs better. Remember that these images are only ever going to end up on the web either in the forums i sponsor or on my own site. Occasionally i hope to get a few prints done for the shop. I'm well experienced with Photoshop so have no problem correcting a few minor things

So telling me do forget the G2 and keep my D80 would need some serious convincing. I've been doing this a long time, i know my needs and wants. I know why the D80 doesn't get used. Remember that not everything is decided on how the whites look on a photo of your front room. Its about useability, speed, feedback etc

Oh and back when i bought my first Panny LX1 i ALWAYS wished that i could get the same sort of camera, with an interchangeable lens system. With the G2 and the GF1 and the next generations of that i'm starting to think that panasonic have answered my prayers. If they can get the body size down on the GF1 and i had the cash burning a hole in my pocket i would be on it without doubt. Being able to share lenses between my "slr" (what do they call these things other than EVILS) and my compact, to me, is the future
  30. uk1

uk1 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Having just received the most appalling service from Jessops I would vote for John Lewis who never let you down. Jessops make promises over the phone and then don't keep them - and if you try their CS - they fob you off and in my case were rude.