Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jecklin Float Model 2 Electrostatic Headphones - Restoration Project

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by Hillskill, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,507
    So a little bit of me showing off but I have just laid my hands on my Grandad's old Electrostatic headphones purchased in the early 80s. They are Jecklin Float Model 2s and they have the most bonkers styling. For a little more info on Electrostatic Headphones checkout this Wiki link: Headphones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a pic of how they should look:

[​IMG]

They have been well looked after over the years but this model suffer from foam decay and disintegration over time. The foam is key as it what makes the headphones almost "float" above your head giving the listener a wider soundstage.
    I tried out mine to see if they were still in working order and they appeared to sound pretty good. As the foam had perished I have to raise them a little higher on my head as the drivers sink lower then ear level. Once you pull them up you really get an idea for the sound.
    This isn't really a "restoration" thread for the purists as I simply don't have the time (or the skills) to do the work myself. I will be contact a few companies to see if i can get them to restore them. I have done a bit of Googling this afternoon and it appears Sugden (Yorkshire based HiFi company) can do the restoration work but I will have to wait to Monday to contact them. No idea what the cost might be but I am willing to spend to get them back to their former glory.
    Attached below are how they look now. Not a pair for the morning Commute :rotfl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. gordonshowers

gordonshowers Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Wow, fascinating! I vaguely remember seeing pics of these years ago.

Please show us pics after they are restored.
  3. Hillskill

Ratings:
    +4,507
    Will do. Was it this picture you saw :cool: ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. gordonshowers

gordonshowers Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ha ha what a great photo! I would have remembered that one VERY well!
  6. huwg

huwg Member

Ratings:
    +129
    I can honestly say that for 2 days, I owned a pair of Jecklin Float II's.

They were very loose fitting and as the drivers were about 1/2" from your ears they were completely open. It was like having 2 speakers suspended an inch from your head, you may as well not bother with the headphones as everyone could hear what you were playing.

But, by god they sounded great - the finest I've heard.

The fact that I have a small head and these were massive meant that I had to sit bolt upright whilst wearing them or they'd fall off.

I took them back and swapped them for the Grado SR60's which I still have.
  7. Hillskill

Ratings:
    +4,507
    Fantastic ! When was this Huwg if you don't mind me asking ? I have been in contact with Uwe Westerwelle in Germany who is ready to take them for restoration anytime I have a spare 180 euros. He is happy to do the work and have me pay on completetion, just seems like such an extravagence at the moment. So keen to get them back to their former glory.
  8. huwg

huwg Member

Ratings:
    +129
    It would have been approximately 10 years ago now, I bought them from Music Matters in Brimingham. They cost about £80 as far as I remember and they were the dynamic (not electrostatic) model iirc.

The Grados are far more practical and comfortable to use. But the floats were all about function, not form and the brief time I had them they were great, stupid, but great.

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index...at_Model_II#Jecklin_Float_Model_II_-_Overview
    Last edited: May 7, 2010