Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes cannot import track names unless.........

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps' started by russellsnr, Apr 4, 2006.

1. russellsnr

russellsnr Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, When I place music into iTunes and then ask iTunes to name the tracks via 'get CD track names' I get the message "Itunes cannot get CD track names for songs that were not imported using iTunes" does this mean that you have to purchase/download the music from iTunes in the 1st place or am I doing something wrong when transfering my music from disc to iTunes?: :confused:
  2. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Provided you have connected to the internet before you start importing the song info should come up automatically from a database, well thats what happens for me.
  3. cwick

cwick Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I think it means that you have to have ripped it with iTunes in the first place, certainly it's nothing to do with having to purchase music from the iTunes Music Store.
  4. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Member

Ratings:
    +2
    cwick is correct. Itunes will not get the track names if you have not ripped the CD with it. I use some freeware called mp3tag. It works pretty well most of the time.

Dave
  5. russellsnr

russellsnr Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    What I have found is that if I convert MP3's to WAV put them on a RW disc when I put it in the drive iTunes reads it no probs.
    But when I put an MP3 disc in the drive iTunes does not pick up on the track name artist etc.
    But again thanks for the replies.
  6. Davy

Davy Member

Ratings:
    +27
    The iTunes music store doesn't give you the track names and other info when you import a CD. This info is obtained via the internet from CDDB, a giant CD information database. It is hosted by Gracenote (www.gracenote.com). You either need to tell iTunes to connect to the internet automatically, through preferences or do it manually after you have imported your CD tracks.

Your CD does not hold any information on track details, only music. CDDB finds your tracks, fairly reliably, by associating the number of tracks against the length of each track to its' giant database. Hence if you have made up your own compilations (not in iTunes) and then subsequently import them into iTunes for syncing with your iPod, you probably won't get the track details. As your own, non commercial CD is not on the CDDB database.