1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this drive compatible with Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop?

Discussion in 'Hard Disks & Memory' started by RockStrongo, Mar 13, 2008.

1. RockStrongo

RockStrongo Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

My hard drive has died in my Dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I'm trying to source a replacement, but Dell won't tell me how to know if a drive is compatible or not. I found this on Overclockers

Western Digital Scorpio 120GB 5400RPM ATA-100 8MB Cache - OEM (WD1200BEVE)

120GB Capacity, IDE Interface, 5400RPM Spin Speed, 12.0ms Average Seek Time, 8MB Cache, 3 Year Warranty

Does anyone know if it will work? Or how to tell if drives will be compatible?

Not very happy with Dell about this. They are mad keen to sell me a compatible drive, but won't even tell me the capacity before I buy it!
  2. RockStrongo

RockStrongo Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Dell have confirmed that this drive is not compatible - does anyone know of any that are?

This was the explanation Dell gave

Am I being unreasonable here? All I want to know is how to tell if a drive will work :mad:
  3. PeterNav

PeterNav Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It sounds like the service rep is being cautious. Dell might have only tested a limited number of HDDs with this particular system in which case they can only guarantee one of those specific tested types will work.

HDDs are normally replaceble/upgradable in laptops so you should be able to open a panel, look at the drive, read the label on it and find out the part number of the original. You can then go to the HDD manufacturer's website and check the specification.

Unless Dell have their HDDs specially made to a Dell standard you should be able to source a replacement that meets the same specification. You will be able to tell if it is a Dell special once you read the label on the HDD that is fitted.