Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there blu ray player that can play multi region dvd as well?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by wayneclements, Oct 23, 2008.

1. wayneclements

wayneclements Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi and yes I have already searched the forum and google to try and answer my own question, but what ive found is that the only blu ray player that is multi region out of the box is the LG one that does hddvd as well.

Ive seen the sony s300 and s350 mentioned but there is a hack that requires a remote thats being posted around various people. Not really ideal. Some companies also seem to sell the s350 as multi-region dvd so I assume they've pre-hacked it.

So, is anyone aware of, or does anyone have a UK region blu ray player, that can play region 1 and 2 dvd's out of the box, of with a hack on its own remote.

I currently have a ps3 for bluray and a toshiba 2 year old sd upscaler for dvd (multiregion), but I want to move the ps3 to another room and buy a standalone blu ray player. But im thinking if im doing this, I may as well try to replace my dvd player with the same unit.

Does anyone have the same problem or know of the most cost effective solution? I dont really want to spend more than £300 either.

thanks
  2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    I bought a £12.99 remote from Argos and hacked my player, Sony 550. 5 mins.
  3. wayneclements

wayneclements Member

Ratings:
    +15

that'll do me. which remote? do you think that would work for a sony s300 or s350?

Ive got a harmony remote. Any way I can program that to do it?
  4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    It will certainly do the 350 as well. 350 and 550s are good prices as well, well within your budget.

There is a thread explaining what to do, recent one. I doubt the Harmony will do it. Pronto will.
  5. skk3

skk3 Member

Ratings:
    +168
  6. Richard

Richard Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    So this hack only works to make your player multi region for SD dvds and not blu rays??
  7. piros

piros Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Correct :)

You could always buy the S350 from amazon for £179, then join the remote hack forum bike for a free remote to do the hack - or alternatively you could get it from argos and take it back for a refund :D

Edit: just re-read and you said the forum bike is not ideal, but still, as above a remote it pretty cheap and the hack only takes 5mins.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. skk3

skk3 Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Yes, at present.

From what MRM have told me, the business of making Blu-ray players multi-region is relatively new. If you look at their website there are some machines that are multi-region for the 3 Blu-ray regions as well.

If you have an existing machine they may even be able to mod it in the shop - why not give them a ring.

The Sonys are not multi-region for Blu-ray, but some Panasonics are multi-region for Blu-ray & DVD. I am waiting to get a BD35 early next year when I have the cash.
  9. wayneclements

wayneclements Member

Ratings:
    +15
    just ordered an s350 from amazon for 179 and will pick up a remote from argos over the weekend. (ive got the howto guide from the s350 bike thread)

I assume the blu ray performance will be equal or better to the ps3 and the sd upscaling should be better than my tosh upscaler, which was a £60 unit 2 years ago.

I have an onkyo 606 so the fact the s350 cant decode dts-master audio isnt a big deal. Will have a good look through the s350 thread to see the best way to have the audio sent (either decoded by the sony or my onkyo...I assume onkyo is the best way)

So I should be able to replace 2 units with 1 device. Originally I was going to get one of the new tosh xde units, but when you are only talking 100 more for something that does blu ray as well, and should have better build quality, it became a no brainer.
  10. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +567
    Or save a packet and pay £179 from Amazon and buy the remote as per Nic!

Amazon.co.uk: Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD: Electronics & Photo
  11. ABC1

ABC1 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    looks like it is now only £129!!!
  12. ABC1

ABC1 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Didn't last long, gone back up now.
  13. Stevie LA

Stevie LA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +314
    Well I had the Mod done by Multi Region Magic and all I can say is great service.

Picked Player up at 12.30 Wednesday via City Link
    City Linked delivered to them at 13.45 Thursday.
    Back to me today (Friday) at 12.30.

Tested with a region locked US disc and at first did not work.
    Pressed A on remote while player was in standby and bingo disc worked.

So all in all well happy with it.

Tested firmware and believe you no longer need to do both firmware updates as it states firmware is up to date.
  14. hairyfil

hairyfil Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm moving from the UK to New Zealand, in fact I fly this weekend.

I'd like to buy a bluray player in NZ, but I've got an extensive collection of region 1 and region 2 DVDs. So I need a player that can play any region DVDs. Not worried about the bluray discs so much, as UK/NZ are in the same region for bluray.

Ideally the player should support latest standard. Be updatable. Oh, and it should cost next to nothing :p

Any advice?

thanks
    Phil
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. AGP64

AGP64 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I would go for the Sony 550 as it can be made region free for SD DVD
    From what I could find $860 New Zealand Dollars.
    And not on sale at the moment from what I can tell.

If the Panasonic was out it might of been a better choice
    From what I have heard the Panasonic 55 is not going to make it to Australia and New Zealand:(

+ It would be easy to sell as well if you where not happy with it.:D
  16. Carl32

Carl32 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Is the Pan BD35 multi-region for the 3 Blu-ray regions ? Didnt look like it was on MRM. Any idea which pan models will be region free for SD and BR.