Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a specific HDMI lead needed for 3D?

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by 02browncraig, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 02browncraig

02browncraig Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think read somewhere that you need a specific type of HDMI cable for 3D to work, is this true? If so what cable is it I need?

Thanks for your help, sorry im a complete novice when it comes to 3D.
  2. toddy28

toddy28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    1.3a will do it or 1.4 if you want the audio return channel
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. 02browncraig

02browncraig Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that

Gonna sound stupid but what is audio return channel?
  4. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    The numbers dont apply to the cables , thats just cables sellers pulling a fast one.
    Cables can only be ,

Standard speed or Category 1
    High speed or Category 2

Add "with ethernet" to the end if you have a device that supports that function over HDMI and you want to use it , note that no-one needs this , but if you want to use it then get a "with ethernet" one.

There is no special cable needed for 3D
    There is no special cable needed for ARC either.

If its short , thats 8 meters or less , then get the cheapest you can find , if you want longer than that , then spend a bit more.
  5. scriminjer

scriminjer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The 1.3/1.4 argument is clearly one that's going to be done until death. You do also need the cable version 1.4 for the audio return channel.

This is the means by which the audio from say the TV tuner can travel back to say a bluray player and out to the sound system from the bluray player. It simply removes the need for another cable to go from TV to bluray player. The same applies to the ethernet function.

How you address the situation of 1.3 and 1.4 is upto you. For the average 3D use it will work with 1.3 cables, and the argument over 1.4 is probably going to go on forever with no resolution.
  6. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Its not an argument , theres simply facts, and like you posted , mistakes !

There is no such thing , nor has there ever been any such thing , as 1.3,1.4 ,or 1. anything cables!
    That is a fact.

HDMI.org say what does and does not go on cables , anybody putting anything else on there is attempting to de-fraud or mislead , in other words trying to sell you something you dont need or trying to fool you into thinking you need new or special cables.

See here for allowed labels ,

HDMI

this is a direct result of the previous dishonesty of cable sellers who labelled items as 1.3 , 1.4 etc. Those numbers do not apply to cables , just to the electronics in various HDMI devices , they are silicon revision numbers.

Also from HDMI.org

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel

You DO NOT need new cables for arc , arc can be carried by any HDMI cable ever made.

There is a forum here ,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/

And a sticky you could do worse than read ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/831330-hdmi-cables-just-facts.html
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. scriminjer

scriminjer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    ARC cannot, as even the page you've quoted states!

The standard of HDMI 1.4 removes the need for additional audio cables as even the diagram on that page shows.

As I've already said this is an argument which will never end.

This renaming to highspeed and highspeed with ethernet is just politics in simplifying the different cable specifications.
  8. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Really ?

Quoted directly from that page .... second bullet point from the bottom ...

Exactly what part of that didnt you understand ?
  9. scriminjer

scriminjer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Considering that is under the HDMI 1.4 heading it refers to all of the newly refined names which don't use the 1.3 or 1.4 numbers. 1.4 is now the new standard and as such cables marketed under the new names should be of the new standard.

If you go and buy a cable specifically which states 1.3 it will not support ARC.

Just to further point. Does this http://www.saverstore.com/product/2...ld-HDMI-13a-Cable-1m--HDMI-Male-to-HDMI-Male- support ARC. No.

Does this. http://www.saverstore.com/product/2...pe-A-v14-HDMI-Cable-3m-HDMI-Male-to-HDMI-Male support ARC. Yes.
  10. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    A wild assumption that your just pulling out of your backside !

I dont know where or how you came to believe such nonsense but that is exactly what it is , nonsense , go away and read up on the subject , and stop misleading people.

I see by your post history youve been corrected before , obviously you paid no attention.

Without a shadow of a doubt though , you are completely and utterly wrong on this subject.
  11. scriminjer

scriminjer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am not wrong, I just refuse to be drawn into the politics of trying to argue black is white.
  12. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Yes you are , read up on it and see , better still try it and see !
    I hope you have the decency to come back here and admit it once youve found out the truth.
  13. scriminjer

scriminjer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I won't be admitting anything and I won't be reading anything else. There are too many on here on some apparent crusade to argue spec 1.4 is the same as 1.3.

If I have my home sound system plugged into my Blu Ray player and have the Blu Ray player connected to my TV using a cable which is marked as HDMI 1.3 and I decide to watch Freeview HD through my TV. The sound from my TV will come out of my speakers will it? No, not unless I have another audio cable from my TV to my sound system. However if I had a cable which is known to be 1.4 it would. (Providing TV & player supported the 1.4 standard)
  14. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Quick question , do you have anything to do with selling cables ?

It is the only reason I can think of that someone might be so persistent in this mistaken postion !

To be so clearly wrong is one thing , but to be arrogant about it is really stupid. Unless you have a vested interest that is !
  15. 02browncraig

02browncraig Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can I ask what cable you use andy1249?
  16. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Andy is right and scriminjer is wrong

If you have a all devices 1.4 and a cable brought before 1.4 existed yes it will work, you will have to turn it on in the menus though. If for some reason it doesn't work it won't be the cable.

This is not an arguement that will never end it's a simple question with a simple and easily testable fact as the answer.

Yes it does but that doesn't back up your point and you are wrong to read that as arc can't. Having 2 hdmi 1.4 devices means they can use arc between them without the need for an extra cable. the current cable doesn't need to be hdmi 1.4 because as HDMI themselves say there is no such thing as a hdmi 1.4 cable.

From HDMI

and more definitivly from HDMI

17. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Seriously mate you dont need any new cables for 3D or ARC. Standard HDMI Highspeed will be more than OK, pretty sure standard HDMI work even.

The only time you will need a new cable is if you want Ethernet over HDMI. Then you will to get a HDMI Highspeed with Ethernet.
  18. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Maybe he bought a 1.4 cable at silly money and is tryign to justify his un-needed expense.

When I got my 3DTV the spotty little idiot (SPL) who was behind the till went off and came back with a super 1.4 HDMI cable and said "i'll just put this with the TV too, yeah?"

Me: Erm no what are you doing?!

SLI: Well sir you need this cable to view anything in 3D. (this cable cost £40!! hahaha I'm using a £2.50 cable from eBay!)

Me: Do you really need 1.4 HDMI cable to view 3D? You are saying I can't use my "old" HDMI cable to view 3D images on my PS3

SLI (all smug): Yes that's right

Me: Can I speak with your manager please

I explained the situation to the manger, it was basically fraud and the little boy got a bit of a verbal ass whip in front of me

:D

I can imagine many people are getting stung by this new 1.4 hdmi cable :(
  19. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Hence why HDMI.org have banned cable manufacturers from marketing cables with version numbers
  20. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Yes , anyone labelling cables or marketing cables as version number compliant are , shall we say , "misleading customers" ....

I have another word for it that I wont say here , but its totally dishonest and on principal you shouldnt buy from them.
    There are plenty of reputable sellers , some on here , who dont stoop to those levels to do business.
  21. 02browncraig

02browncraig Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for all the help, a standard HDMI cable is it then.
  22. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Unfortnatley though, I guess it's not illegal to sell the old stock. As in currys today they had their super duper 1.4 HDMI cables on display
  23. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Thats why we're here :D

I think its just a case of joe public being technophobic and think the Currys\Dixons guys are the be all and end all of anything technology related.

I would have falled for their marketing if it wasnt for these forums. Where possible I do try to use the Assured Avertisers here too (thats where I got my remote\cables\lights etc) so much better service.