1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a PS3 Region Hack

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by cenkbut, Mar 24, 2007.

1. wojtek

wojtek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bumpity bump.

It's almost a year later; are there any hacks out there that make the PS3 SD-DVD playback region-free?

These region codes are driving me nuts.
  2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    Nope.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Belch

Belch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pure bummer - just got my PS3 set-up, swallowed the issue about being forced into the one region issue for BD - didn't even enter my mind that my Region 1 SD DVD wouldn't play either - biatch!
  4. ianeb

ianeb Member

Ratings:
    +216
    This sucks. I sold my 360 for to get a PS3 and am quite peeved that I can not play any region BluRay apart from 2 and then I find out that it can't even play multi region SD DVD..... Rubbish.

Whats the big deal? Several DVD manufacturers make multi region DVD players now I can't see an issue to be honest.

It's all money,money, money... Come on sony you have finally agreed to remove DRM from your music let us watch DVD's that aren't bought in UK...
  5. Wiggins

Wiggins Member

Ratings:
    +17
    It isn't just the fact that you get ripped off price-wise for buying bluray discs in the UK that grates. For reasons entirely unknown, the US gets many, many more releases than the UK. One good example being the region-locked Rescue Dawn, which had an excellent review on forum review site. Absolutely no sign whatsoever for a UK release. I can only assume that when Warner said that they had sold far more bluray discs than hddvd's, they were only looking at the US and conveniently forgot about Europe. It really stresses me out as assuming now that hd dvd is dead in the water then I'd dearly love to buy a bluray player. It's looking more an more likely that I'll have to import a PS3 from the US if I wish to enjoy all the bluray releases I want. Just with the added inconvenince that I'll never be able to simply buy/ rent a title in the UK without first consulting an internet list telling me if the film is region-free. Gahhh! I thought the days of region coding were so long behind us!
  6. scatterbug

scatterbug Member

Ratings:
    +155
    How big is the P3 hacking scene in general? I know the 360 has an army of people trying to run homebrew code, pirated games and so on. If there are fewer people poking around the Sony what does that mean for the likelihood of a region crack?
  7. preetyforu

preetyforu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wicked, so they all will work then!

not to fussed about PS2 games not working, got a ps2 for that!
  8. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    Even if someone did hack the region, the problem has been pointed out. You would have to forgo internet gaming and connectivity, as the damn thing will upgrade itself and erase the hack. It would have to be a hardware mod to stick.
  9. wastedagen

wastedagen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too am in the same region code boat, but what i have found is a web site in the states that confirms 100% that a lot of the blue ray discs will play on our UK PS3.

http://www.axelmusic.com/list?advse...1&p_title=Blu-ray: Region Free&order_dir=desc

If , for example, you click on Fifth Element then click on the thumbnail to view the back it shows all three regions. A, B and C.
    But even on discs that show Region A (America) they state it WILL play on our PS3's.

But I haven't tried this sire out yet, so I personally can't confirm if its true. But I thought I would post the link anyway. And they posy worldwide too. Sounds too good to be true, eh!!!!!!
  10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    The site you linked too isnt in the states, its in Europe and is quite well known on this forum.

Also, alot of sites selling Blu-rays now have a 'Region Free' section so you know that the title you are buying will play on your player even if the region coding on the back states it wont.
  11. wastedagen

wastedagen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.
    As for the sites, I use Play and BlahDVD and these two dont have a region free section. Maybe I should look around......:thumbsup:

Edit: Just had a proper look at the site and yep, they started in Europe and now have warehouses in Canada and the US.
  12. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,753
    Movietyme are good :smashin: plus,here's there region free blog. :cool:
    Cheers.
  13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    Those two dont sell anything but UK releases so wouldnt have a region free section.

You want to try sites like...

Movietyme
    DVDsLimited
    DVDWorldUSA

I always use them for all my Blu-rays.
  14. wastedagen

wastedagen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I just tried out Axelmusic and MovieTyme. 1 From each.

Regards.........
  15. mikegambit

mikegambit New Member

Ratings:
    +129
    The link from PLAY to PLAYUSA gives plenty of US Bluray discs for sale but unlike other sites they dont clarify if the title is Region A only
  16. Vic Singh

Vic Singh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Any news on this front?
    All my DvD's are Region 1 and also I have many region A Blu Rays, but I have a UK PS3 :(
  17. kingfats

Ratings:
    +7,753
    No :( sorry mate.
  18. Vic Singh

Vic Singh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Reckon there will be anything done soon?
  19. kingfats

Ratings:
    +7,753
    No one's cracked it so far,can't see that changing either.
    I hope i'm wrong of course. :)
  20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    I can't ever see this be a stable possibility. If by some chance someone does 'hack' the firmware, sony will plug the gap instantly. For me it is not a realistic senario.
  21. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti Member

Ratings:
    +103

Would they? They don't care about RC on games any more.
  22. Vic Singh

Vic Singh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's pretty stupid if Sony do, because if people just go for other systems where regions don't matter for films then surely they would lose out?

The point above for games is valid. They are not bothered by games so why be bothered by films?
  23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Stupid or not, Sony don't make the rules, the Blu ray forum does according to members and people like FOX insist on coding, even if other don't. The hardware all has to comply and it is then upto the studio to use coding or not. If Sony allow a 'breach' then discs / players can be locked out and if Sony are party to this, they can loose their ability to sell Blu ray devices, through their licence from the BDA. Given their dominance in this market with the PS3, the chances of this happening is zero.

The way to change it, is not to buy coded disc, from Fox (or Sony new releases) but given their dominance as studios, few will do this.
  24. alasone

alasone Member

Ratings:
    +48
    This WAS one of 2 reasons I adopted HD DVD.
    It was amazing while it lasted but most good things come to an end.

With HD DVD I had total freedom...
    A multi-region HD machine with multi region SD capabilities.

Man, I'll tell you what. If my PS3 was able to play both it would be like hitting 5 numbers and the bonus ball :smashin:

Although, for the life of me, I couldn't get the darn BD-Live working on a recent copy of the fantastic Forgetting Sarah Marshall?? It just wasn't working or visible at all But of course, that's another matter :eek:

I pray for the day we get multi-TOTAL lol
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  25. sea surfer

sea surfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I'm sure I have read that you can install the Linux operating system on your PS3 just wondering if you can use AnyDVD HD-BlueRay on it, just a thought:rolleyes:
  26. DeadKenny

DeadKenny Member

Ratings:
    +35
    That's exactly the reason. It's market protection and widely used in a lot of markets, not just in the TV & film industry.

It is because the law (except within the EU) does not stop a global corporate from segmenting the market, to control each market area individually and ensure prices are set to the maximum they know they can get out of the punters in each area, whilst ensuring those who get charged more do not import from areas where charges are lower. Thus they maximise their income.

Essentially a form of price fixing, though probably not in legal terms as that would involve fixing prices across a cartel of companies (although the pattern of setting market prices of DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc, does seem to be suspiciously similar across competing companies ;)).

Personally I think it should be an illegal practice and let global competitive forces sort everything out. Thankfully the practice is at least illegal within the EU.

However I'd also be a hypocrite as I do and have worked for companies that use this form of market control, and it pays my wages!

Oh, and the argument about cinema release dates was always a weak one. With DVD they lost very little from the relatively few people who would import a US DVD before the cinema release date overseas, and the release schedules have changed these days anyway to be much closer (and in some rare cases the UK even gets releases first!). The biggest problem they have in this area is with pirate copies of new releases which are almost always sourced from preview screener discs or shot with a camera in the cinema!. Region coding would never solve that problem. Not that piracy is really as big an issue as they say anyway as few who would pirate would really buy the disc in the first place anyway despite all their claims of "losses" to piracy.

Anyway, cinema prices are way cheaper than Blu-Ray discs so why would you pay a fortune import a Blu-Ray to see it before the cinema release? (and that's considering how extortionate cinema prices are!!).

Though I've never really got the need to see a film first before anyone else.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  27. Carb

Carb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Two tickets for Tropic Thunder cost me €21 last weekend; about the cost of a BD and considerably more than SD DVD. In fact, the relative cost of cinema tickets vis a vis the price of R1 dvds is one of the main reason I rarely venture to the cinema anymore.
  28. DeadKenny

DeadKenny Member

Ratings:
    +35
    That is two tickets though, but even then UK Blu-Ray prices for new releases are still frequently more than that.

Given the cinematic experience has more definition than BR also, I'd still say the cinema is better value for money, at least for one to two people, and especially if it's a film you're likely to only watch once.
  29. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    The presentation in the majority of UK cinemas is bloody awful. Also they don't provide a pause button for toilet breaks, a mute button for the other peasants or any form of baby monitoring for my children sleeping upstairs.

My PS3 provides a much more satisfying experience.
  30. kingfats

Ratings:
    +7,753
    How big do you want the hard drive? :D