1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a DVD Player with USB than can play XVID Avi's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by castle, Jun 28, 2007.

1. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

My goal is to buy a Multi-region DVD player with a USB slot that will accept either a memory stick or an external hard drive containing XVID encoded .AVI video files.

Specifically so I watch 350MB downloads of Heroes S2 and Prison Break S3 when they return to US TV in a few months without having to involve WinAvi and Nero.

The research I have done suggests that most DVD players with USB are only there to view .jpg Photos and to listen to mp3 music files. I think this is to do with the fact that the players USB interface only supports USB 1.1 and not Hi speed USB 2. I have also read about another player that can play .wmv files, but not .avi.

Is there a player out there that meets my criteria?

If so, please advise and I will be buying it this week.

Kind Regards

Mark
  2. Methanoid

Methanoid Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Funnily enough I was looking myself for the same thing today without luck.

A network aware DVD player would also do for me.. otherwise its Xbox with XBMC!
  3. RichardJW

RichardJW Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 5980 has USB and plays XVID...in fact it plays anything you give it!
  4. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply, but just to clarify:

Have you personally viewed XVID (not DIVX) .Avi's from either a memory stick or Hard drive attached to the players USB port (not from a disc)?

If so, that's the player I'll be buying.

BTW: Is the Philips 5980 available in Multi-region?

Many thanks

Mark
  5. MMP

MMP Member

Ratings:
    +3
    But manual say that its play only jpg and mp3 ( via usb ) - You are sure that this player handle divix/xvid via usb?
  6. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Doubt it can

I've just checked the spec on my Pioneer DV400 and it can only play MPEG3/WMA/MPEG4 AAC/JPEG files via it's USB port

Also says you can't connect a computer to the USB so i guess that means you can't connect an external USB hard drive to it
  7. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Search continues...

Many thanks for all responses so far. I read the Philips 5980 Manual that someone posted a link to in a different thread and it basically stated that USB HDD's are too large to support. So if I narrow down the scope of this quest to just supporting XVID files direct from a USB Memory stick ( I have a 2Gig Corsair Voyager), that seems slightly more attainable, I hope.

It would also appear that I am not the only person who would like to buy a DVD player that supports .avi's direct from a USB stick....any manufacturers out there listening?!

:lease:
  8. simp99

simp99 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Philips 5960 plays avi from USB stick, so I would think the 5980 will.
  9. Lester

Lester Member

Ratings:
    +13
    The 5980 is essentially the same player as the 5960...just with the ability to do 1080p.

This is a handy website related to the 5960:

http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012

I have used a usb stick and an external hard-drive to watch XviD with my 5960 and both have performed fine. A handset hack makes it multi-region.

If you're not fussed about 1080p, the 5960 is just £40 at Amazon. Bargain.
  10. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lester

Thanks very much for the link to phunkyfish, the list of compatible USB sticks is really useful, but confirms the Corsair Voyager Mem stick I have won't work. Looks like my Dad is getting a free 2-gig stick so I can buy another one which will work.

My search is over and I have just bought a 5960 from Amazon £40 delivered.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

Regards

Mark
  11. ske911

ske911 Member

Ratings:
    +7
  12. Paul97

Paul97 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    I have the 5980 and yes it does play DIVX from the usb stick, very goos player for £50ish:smashin:

Paul
  13. bossnas

bossnas Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Paul97 and Mark,

Does either the 5960 or the 5980 play the higher resolution (700mb) XviD files if burnt to a DVD? I like the quality of those files and would like a faster solution than using WinAVI to convert.

Thanks
    Nas
  14. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    bossnas, no it won't play the HR versions. Almost all the divx / xvid players do standard res only.
  15. bossnas

bossnas Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey NX3,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know of any stand alone players that can handle the hi-res XviD? Or have you heard of anything that's coming soon? I'd really like to save all of the time it takes to convert to DVD with WinAVI.

At the moment I'm also having to unpack the 350mb (low-res) XviD's 'cause my Cello player can't handle them so that's more time spent converting when I'd really like to cut that extra step out.

If I went for the 5960 I guess I would gain the ability to use a usb flash drive so that would save burning CD-RW's but can it handle packed bitstreams? I'm still using a trusty CRT tv so upscaling is not an issue for me atm.

Cheers
    Nas
  16. chris57

chris57 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Dont convert the HR files simply resize then with this guide:-
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/370696
    takes about 10mins per TV episode and you wont lose quality like you will reencoding with Winavi.

Packed Bitstream is supported in various firmwares have a read of the phonkyfish webpage.

Some DVD players can handle HR divx but the arent budget players. Look around the £200 mark upwards.
  17. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Final Post:

Sandisk 4 Gig USB stick and Phillips 5960 arrived from Amazon yesterday and did everything I was hoping for!

:thumbsup:

Tried the following d/l .avis: Sopranos, 24, Heores, Stargate Atlantis, Axxo movie, mp3's and Legion of Superheroes.

Everything worked perfectly direct from the USB stick except Legion of Superheroes animation, but that's because the encoded resolution was too high (over 1000 x 700).

The multi region hack worked fine and I can confirm that this model comes with the latest phillips firmware.

Only strange thing was that lip sync was bad initially and when I looked in the setup menu, there was a 'lip sync delay' option which had defaulted to the middle of it's available range. Once I altered it back to '0' miliseconds, everything worked perfectly. Seems like an odd factory default to me.

Regards

Mark
  18. STREEM

STREEM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The new Linksys Kiss1600 has USB capabilities and supports XviD etc etc, anyone checked this out as yet...?

StrEEm
  19. chris57

chris57 Member

Ratings:
    +160
  20. macaroony

macaroony Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Does it work ok with DVD-R disks?
  21. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Yes, I've tested DVD-R, DVD+RW, CD, CDR and CDRW.

I don't have any DVD+R's so can't vouch for that format, but I'd be very surprised if it can't.

Regards

Mark
  22. macaroony

macaroony Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I think I'll go for this as it seems a good deal for just under £40. Can I just ask, did you go for the SanDisk 4gb Cruzer Micro U3 Smart 2.0 USB Flash Drive [from Amazon at £17.99] and this works fine with the Player?
  23. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that is exactly my setup and it works a treat.

The Sandisk does come preloaded with some U3 software that I removed immediately, so not sure if it works out of the box with the Phillips.

If you only plan on copying AV files from your PC to the USB drive to watch on your DVD player, then you don't need the U3 software so it's no great loss.

I downloaded a U3 removal tool from the Sandisk website prior to my order arriving, but I guess you could just format the USB drive to get rid of U3.

Regards

Mark
  24. macaroony

macaroony Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Pity it's only USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0 though on the player itself. I presume with the majority of avi's and Divx/Xvid's this won't be an issue?
  25. pauly7

pauly7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So the conclusion to this thread is the player to buy is PHILLIPS 5960 yes?

I was just gonna buy a recognisable brand divx player until I looked on this forum and just made a simple choice complicated:D
    SVP have cheapo Sumvision Phoenix and Umax 7500 which people seem happy with, then I found PHILLIPS 5960 (recommended by www.divx.com) and TOSHIBA 370E (WHAT HIFI - 5 stars) for just a few pound more at Pixmania...

so of all these we're saying PHILLIPS 5960?

cheers:)
  26. chris57

chris57 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    I am and Ive had a few differing budget divx/avi/etc players. There's loads of tips/help for it here:-
    http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012

The 5980 will play a few more formats apparently it plays simple Nero and WMV files sometimes and is 1080p as opposed to 1080i of the older 5960. Downside though its double the price and doesnt have any firmware mods to bring demanded features to the player that Phillips arent interested in. An example ofthis is the GOTO function that has been added saves you FF/RW which via USB can be tiresome.
  27. castle

castle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Re the USB 1.1 question, this is fine for the vast majority of .avi's, but certain scenes breakup and stutter, I assume when the bit-rate shoots up and the bus speed becomes an issue. Specifically, full screen fire, snow and 'cine-camera style' visual effects to give the video image additional grain and make it look like the Zapruda film (usually only occurs in documentaries).

Never had a problem with Sopranos, 24, Heroes etc, but did have an issue for a few seconds during Sarah Connor Chronicles a few days ago.

It should be noted that all of the issues disappear if you watch the .avi's direct from a DVD as opposed to the USB stick.

Regards

Mark
  28. pauly7

pauly7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1080i/p makes no difference to me I've still got a CRT TV - well that's sorted, thanks Chris
  29. chris57

chris57 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Anything over 2mb/s suffers via USB. The majority of avi's etc are encoded lower than this. Check whether any of your files have packed bitstream and if so remove it for smoother playback. Mpegmodifier checks if its packed bitstream and will unpack it for you in a couple of mins:-
    http://moitah.net/
  30. samat2001

samat2001 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I've got a quick question about this - as it has a USB port, could you hook up an external hard drive to it?