1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a Blu-ray player that never freezes?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Fidelis, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently using an LG GGC-H20L computer Blu-ray player. I want to upgrade to a home player to get better picture quality for my SD DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs. I've read about a lot of players from big-name manufacturers and they all seem to share two things in common: they either "freeze" during playback or they do not play at all.

This bothers me but I can't afford a $2,000 player. Is there a Blu-ray player that does the following:

1. Never freezes on any Blu-ray discs or DVDs

2. Does not have drop outs of any kind

3. Is under $400

I don't care about wi-fi, BD Live, or any of that extra junk. I want a player that will just upscale my DVDs to where it's looks "wow." The same goes for Blu-ray.

I can't begin to tell you how I've spent hours doing research only to find out that one brand locks up more than the next or that certain titles are not supported because firmware updates will no longer be made. For example, some of the low-budget Denon's.

The Oppo looks promising but it's more than I'd like to spend and I really don't need every feature it has. I just want "reliability."

Anyway, I'm babbling now. I think you guys get the idea. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
  2. NumberSix

NumberSix Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have never had any freezes or dropouts of any kind on the PS3.
  3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    only ever had freezes on the first ever blu ray player and that was early days. The rest are generally fine. DVD will never give you wow, all you can do is minimise the errors, which some of the players are getting good at now like Oppo but not sub $400 yet. It will not be or ever will be blu ray quality. Upscaling is just something that is needed nowdays rather than a quality enhancement.
  4. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    I have a Sony BDP-S550 and a Panasonic BD-35 and have had neither problem with either.:smashin:
  5. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    +1 for the PS3 and the my LG BD370 hasn't missed a beat either yet. I've had one freeze upon loading 1 ACVHD disc on the Oppo, but apart from that nothing on that front either :thumbsup:
  6. ilise

ilise Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Panasonic BD-50
    Panasonic BD-80
    Philips BDP 9100
    Sharp BD-20S
    Never had an issue. Only once one of my Panasonics refused to play a disc but immediately after a firmware upgrade solved the issue.
    Latest ganerations have no issues regarding freezes and stuff like that.
    On the other hand pc blu rays may have freezes depending on the soft player as well as the comnputer system itself.
    So go for it.
    Nick
  7. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I have never had any problems with either my Sony S350 or Samsung BDP 1400 before that with over 180 discs played :)
  8. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have to say I'm amazed by the recommendations. I say this because I've read that Panasonic BD-50,
    Panasonic BD-80, Panasonic BD-35, Sony S350, Samsung BDP 1400, and the PS3 have all had "freezing" issues. Never looked up Philips BDP 9100,
    Sharp BD-20S because I didn't think they made a quality product. As for the LG BD370 and BDP-S550, the latter has been reported as having some issues.

However, the PS3 seems to have fewer freezes but I hear the picture quality for Blu-rays and DVDs is not on par with other players.

Hmmm . . . I'm undecided now. I'll have to do more research I see. I wasn't expecting these suggestions, especially since they are known to freeze on a regular basis.

Thanks.
  9. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Blu Ray performance is on par with most players as long as you can view them at 1080p/24Hz. This because there is none to very little processing done by the player. So there is very little difference in PQ for blus.

SD upscaling from the PS3 is actually very good, better than the LG not as good as the Oppo (but then very few are, if any). I personally preferred the PS3's upscaling to the Panny BD35 I had, but it can't be made Multiregion if that is a factor you need to consider.
  10. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the PS3 is doing hardly any processing then what is doing it? I do have a separate DVD player that is multiregion, but it would be nice if the new player could be made to play discs from other regions. However, I'd rather get flawless playback more than anything else at this point.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  11. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey Member

Ratings:
    +1,109
    I doubt the PS3 will ever be multiregion.

I don't think that's fair. Some people have reported issues with some players. And considering the 1,000's of members on AVF pretty much every player has probably been mentioned on here as having 'issues'. Often it isn't the player but turns out to be something else, such as firmware or discs or user settings or the rest of the system etc etc.

If you are looking for a model that is garanteed to never ever have an issue arise with any of the players produced then I think you are looking for the impossible.

I've never had freezing issues on my PS3 or Oppo83. I suggest you look at the suggestion made by others and try to work out if there are a couple of members with issues with a specific player or a common problem with certain models.. I expect most suggested are generally fine. However you will have to keep the firmware upto date and that is essential, different to SD-DVD but still the case with BR players.
  12. petet66

petet66 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    I think you might be asking the impossible! :)

You asked which players people had that didn't freeze and then despite being told by users that their players didn't you replied with a list of many of the mainstream Blu Ray players claiming that they are "known to freeze on a regular basis". The poster above who has played 180 Blu rays on his Sony BDP S350 has never had a freeze - are you suggesting he is mistaken? It seems somewhat pointless to ask for advice if you discount real life experience of the machines.

One factor to consider -you are quoting prices in dollars so I guess you are from the US? It could be that the problems exist with Region A machines but not Region B though I can't think why immediately.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to imply that I don't believe what other posters have said. I'm just surprised is all. I'm sure their experiences are good for the most part, which makes me wonder if those who complained were just recipients of models that were defective. With the Panasonics, I've gone to several sites that have praised the video quality for Blu-rays and DVDs but then there that "but" that keeps popping up. Even on this forum, one of you said he was in contact with a techie in Japan who stated he's aware of a chipset issue which makes most Pannys freeze on occasion. I think that's what I remember.

I'm not discounting anyone's advice. I'm just going to go over the negative reviews more carefully now and see if these are just individual problems and not some manufacturing disaster. The Oppo sounds great but it's not in my budget right now. However, I guess I could just save and be patient until I can buy one.

Thanks.
  14. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    As per my earlier post, I have never had a single issue but I do ensure my Firmware is up to date, that said a friend has the same player as mine (sony S350) bought at the same time & he has never updated the FW & he has borrowed all of my movies without a problem.

Most of the players mentioned are highly regarded & I don't recall reading about any "Freezing" issues with them? perhaps as pete66 suggests it might be due to region coding :confused:
  15. philbam

philbam Member

Ratings:
    +195
    Sony 550, Panasonic BDP50 and Sony PS3 (x2) - Have never had ANY disc freeze up at all, and that's having played well over 400 blu rays between them all.
    I really do not think that this should be a worry for you at all.
  16. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +758
    I have a Sony BDP-S550 and a (US) PS3 40gb. Never had an ounce of trouble or playback issues with either. If you are looking for a piece of hardware that in the 1000's+ units sold and nobody has reported an issue...... let me know the company if you find it and I will immediately buy shares in them! :D

Think about it, do you post regularly on every item you purchase that works fine? People are far more likely to post that they have had problems than to say everything works as they should. You should factor this into your decision. If people bought cars based on problems reported on any car - we would all be walking everywhere!

If you buy a lemon then it goes back to the shop :)
  17. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think most people post about their positive experiences in general. More so than the negatives. Look at Amazon and New Egg, for example. People leave all kinds of positive posts. However, I will go back and look into those negatives again.

I've heard and read about some of the low-end Denons, which made me call their technical support line to find out more. He said it's really an issue with the discs themselves if they freeze and not with the hardware. He said they release a firmware to address the issue. But if they only release firmware for a year and then call it quits afterwards, you have to wonder if you'll be able to play future BD. I'm not saying it will happen all the time but it can happen. And if that 's the case, I'd rather give my money to a company that will continue supporting your player for longer than a year. Or maybe that's just not normal and I'm not aware. :rolleyes:
  18. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +758
    We will have to agree to differ there then :)

I personally do not post ' Got xxxx, works fine blah blah' - I would expect a new purchase to work as it should. But I am more likely to post XXX didn't work, bad design etc to warn other potential purchasers. Take any item on Amazon, how many 'reviews' are there and how many units do you think Amazon have actually sold? It is a miniscule amount of people that post a review in relation to people purchasing.

I also believe the problems with particular compatability of discs was inevitable with a new format and the learning process of the studios/mastering and also the fact that the BD spec was released early and 'evolved' to its current profile 2.0. The same happened with DVD and the reports of a number of players not playing discs properly (the Matrix is one in particular in the UK).

I am pretty sure that if you buy a reputable brand you should have no issues....the majority of post here on AVForums should reassure you.
  19. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. :)

I'm checking out the Panasonic DMP-BD35K right now and it got the CNET 2008 Editors' Choice Award and the CES 2009 International Design and Engineering Showcase Honors. I've only seen it sold as refurbished on ebay but the price is definitely right.
  20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    I've played hundreds over Blu rays over the last 3 years of using the format. The only avice I would offer is make sure you are reading only the good sources of authorative information. The internet is awash with rubbish which is best avoided. Judging from your comments so far, this is what you have seen, and not the real reality of the situation, which is portayed here by some very experienced users some of which test these things 'professionally'.

re 35, this is an old girl now, look at more recent models.
  21. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree but my research was a combination of pro sites such as Home Theater Forum and good judgment.

The 35 is old but it's been rated as passing the HQV tests better than the 60, which surprised me. Also, it has 16-Level Motion Detection w/ Pixel-Based Motion Adaptive that the newest 80 doesn't have according to the Panny website. I'm keeping my options open for now. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the 60 and 80 and I don't have an audio receiver so there's no need for me to pay for the 7.1 feature.

When I finally upgrade my television, I'll consider a real audio set.

Thanks.
  22. Ian_S

Ian_S Member

Ratings:
    +1,499
    There is no BD player full stop where you won't find some instance of someone having the odd freeze or hiccup. However, that's what they are.

If you stick with the major brands like Sony, Panasonic etc, then so far all of them have continued to provide updates for compatibility issues, and the vast majority of discs will play no problem.

Support longevity is an issue, but only with some of the cheaper brands.

If you want to play safe, the stick to Sony and Panasonic, and also buy a latest model simply because it will get more regular updates. If you do that then you will be able to just enjoy watching films.

The bottom line however is that there is not much to worry about. And far less than you're average PC has to contend with for updates etc.
  23. Fidelis

Fidelis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay everyone, I finally ended up getting the DMP-BD35AK and I'm glad I did. It played all the lastest Blu-rays without a single problem. Upscaling of SD is impressive as well. However, I'm having an issue with partial to full audio dropouts. This only happens with the ambient tracks and never with dialogue.

I have my Panny hooked up to my computer monitor via a new Monster HDMI cable with the HDMI audio setting turned off in the settings menu. I'm using new Monster RCA to mini cables that hook into the aux of one of the speakers of my Logitech Z Cinema system, which is 2.1.

I've already tried getting the unit repaired but the Panny reps are reluctant to offer me that service because I don't have the receipt. I bought it off of ebay brand new from this guy who got it at a local Costco back in December '08 and he no longer has the receipt. I don't know what's going to happen.

Anyway, I tested the speakers with an ipod and there was no dropouts. Then I played a CD in the Panny and there was no dropouts as well. So, it only happens during Blu-ray or DVD playback. There's nothing in the menus that I can adjust. Seeing how this is a 2 channel hook up and not digital, there's nothing for me to select.

Any ideas what could be causing this considering everything is new?