1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the minimum wage holding back the UK?

Discussion in 'Politics & The Economy' started by sidicks, Feb 9, 2012.

1. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Even poorer than not having a job??

If that is the case, then that is exactly why benefits need to be reduced to ensure that work pays....
    :hiya:
    Sidicks
  2. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Or wages need to go up? Anyone here on NMW with own place, transport and able to buy food that isn't in reduced section all the time, eating gruel and generally being hungry all the time? With just pennies left?
  3. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Why do they need their own place if they have no means of paying for it ?
    :confused:
  4. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I see you have not responded to my questions again.
  5. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    They would only be paying a small amount of tax as they would not be that far over the threshold.

So someone full time on minimum wage might also get tax credits, housing benefits and council tax benefits?

Sounds like if they are still worse off than someone on benefits that the benefits are too high...

Unfortunately for many people the cost of employing them is higher than the value they add, when they are paid minimum wage.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg....?

If benefits weren't so high then taxes could be reduced and then maybe it would be much easier to employ people on low wages at a 'sensible liveable wage', whatever that means.....

Sidicks
  6. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    what needs to be done, and I reiterate ,is to target some of the benefit to those who find work, therefore making it more worthwhile.The benefits themselves only look generous for people with largish families , otherwise they are very paltry. i know families who have had to survive on them ,aand its no picnic thats for sure.They were fortunate in some ways because they had family and friends willing to help them out.I myself gave one single parent daughter of a friend a dvd player and did some garden work for her gratis so the kids could play.
    I would also like to see more flexibilty allowing claimants to work more than 16 hours pw.Its really about making the system work in a positive way and not allowing anyone to drop below a certain level , be they at work or not.To my mind it should be possible to ensure a person takes home £250-300 pw inc benefits.With outgoings of ,say, £200 inc food rent utility bills ,it should leave him enough to save for a nice holiday in Spain and a few luxuries.C oupks living together could effectively double their spending power and have some sort of quality of life:thumbsup:
  7. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    you rather they live in a tent?:rolleyes:
  8. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Yes, of course, that's the only alternative...
    :suicide:

When I first started work, I couldn't afford a place of my own, so I shared with other people.

It seems a fairly reasonable and straightforward approach for someone living at the expense of the taxpayer to have to do the same....

It would also increase availability of houses for other people, and thereby potentially reduce rents. Of course from a selfish persepctive you'd be against this as you have 2 houses rented out....

Sidicks
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I have heard some right wing clap trap in my time but you take the biscuit. Companies are making billions profit and paying the workers nmw. Reduce the profits and give their staff a decent liveable wage and they work not have to claim working benefits. That way more money into the economy creates more jobs and more people into work, tax receipts go up.
  10. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    I've heard some insulting left wing whingers in my time, and you still have a long way to go...

Some companies might be - plenty are not.

That profit is taxed.

1. Billion profit means billions in tax.
    2. That profit belongs to the shareholders who have invested in the business and taken on the risks involved.

If you pay unskilled workers more then skilled workers rightly demand more etc etc - so the company doesn't make enough money and hence has to close....
    :mad:
    Sidicks
  11. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    This is exactly what me and la gran siete have been putting up with for months:smashin::smashin:
  12. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Alternatively, we've been putting up with your ill-informed ignorance for the same ampunt of time.

I'll ask again, what are your extensive qualifications that you believe entitle you to higher wages??
    Sidicks
  13. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Let me get this straight you think anyone without any extensive qualifications should not receive a higher wage?.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

From that reply its clear you never stopped to take into consideration on the job training or the governments funding available to employers to train these people for getting that job. Oh look i just posted something that isn't ill informed.

I wont answer your question because guess what i don't have to;) and even if i did you would still find a way to disagree.
  14. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    I didn't say that. What I would say is that people with no useful skills should set their wage expectations accordingly.....

???
    As people become more skilled, they can command higher wages (which is one of the key motivations for people to improve their lot through training)...

As you have pointed out, it is available through the employer and through government (which means taxpayers) training programs, leaving people with fewer excuses to blame others....

I think your silence on the matter says all we need to know!
    :hiya:
    Sidicks
  15. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Did you read my whole post because it looks like you just didn't do so:thumbsup:

And again i am under no obligation to reveal what qualifications i have got.

Are you sure you didn't ask that because your above post imply's so to me.
  16. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Typical ******, opps I mean banker's response. I have no political standing of any persuasion and if you taken the time to read any of my posts you would see that. There are plenty of companies making billions profit and the state is supporting them and their shareholders including letting them have people working for them for nothing on government sponsered get back to work scheme's :facepalm:.

I have already said by giving the workers a decent liveable wage, that would reduce the said companies profits so would reduce their tax burden and instead of the profits going to the shareholders et al would go straight back into the economy as people would have more money to spend, therefore the more people spend the more profits increase and so more jods are created.

It does not follow suit that because unskilled workers get a rise the skilled workers would, all it does is narrow the gap.
  17. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Suggest you stop hurling iinsults, or you'll be warned and potentially get the thread closed.
    :boring:

Lower tax burden but lower earnings for shareholders, the owners of the business and the ones taking the risk. Many of those shareholders are the pension funds of ordinary people trying to set aside money for their retirements....

If you own a business, you are welcome to employ individuals at whatever level you see fit.

If there is little differentiation between skilled and unskilled work, why would an individual make personal sacrifces to become skilled??

As useful, it's down to individuals to control their own destiny not expect someone else to pick uo the tab....
    :nono:
    Sidicks
  18. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,165
    :smashin:
    In a previous post you outlined your experience, which is creditable, but not extensive, and not in itself probably enough to command a high salary. So sidicks was asking whether you had higher qualifications that might justify aspiring to a well paid job.

You don't have to answer him of course :)
  19. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    There lies the problem the Minimum Wage is just to low. Raising it to a decent level will practically motivate enough people to take the jobs and then the welfare bill wouldn't be all that high.

Yes companys should make profit but not when its insane amounts running into billions. Its not like the company's involved could not afford to boast staffs wages as they would still make profit anyway.

Doing this gives the staff reasons to continue working hard for them and would make more people want to work for them with decent wages.
  20. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    He didn't hurl an insult at you. What he did was show you that he disagreed and what he thought of your comment.

Warning him for posting his opinion is like censorship:cool:

Clarify to me me and others as to what you think a low and high salary is. One qualification i have that im not ashamed to admit to having is a GNVQ Business graded at a near Distinction in fact one unit of from having a distinction.
  21. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Your the one who started hurling insults around. You have no reply to why it is ok for companies who make billions yet get free workers. The big companies do not give a flying fig about their shareholders only about the top line. A wise man once told me, do not argue with an idiot or a tory as it will only bring you down to their level.
  22. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    I've no idea what you are talking about.

You claimed the following:
    You keep claiming you have all these qualifications that should entitle you to higher wages, but refuse to explain what they are (which would make your case somewhat stronger if you did so...)
    :lesson:
    Sidicks
  23. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Really?

I understand that with the minimum wage as it is, companies would currently not choose to employe extra staff. Under some current schemes, some unemployed get useful job experience by working part time at selected companies. Those companies still have the costs of training and supervision.

For the individuals involved it is a useful opportunity.

More insults...
    :facepalm:
  24. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Maybe you should re-read his posts...

At what level?

So not a distinction then?
    :laugh:
    Sidicks
  25. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,165
    Relative to what?

Discuss... :D
  26. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,356
    Wow, just wow. A holiday in Spain is now a an essential. :facepalm:

@gazberotten, a low income to me would be one at the nmw ;) a high income, well there is no such thing, the sky is the limit when you work hard for it :thumbs:

@Johnf: I must say I pity your upbringing, talk about a predetermined blinkered view that has been instilled in you. No wonder you see that perspective as the only possibility. Shame.
  27. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I do not need any of your pity as I had a very stable upbringing with my parents and siblings (not that its any of your business but my parents are still together after 50 years) infact my upbringing was that bad 2 of my siblings could afford to retire at 40 and my father at 52. I have a job that pays pretty decent, I enjoy doing my job and have the skills to get into any country that needs them. What blinkered view do I have? That people should be paid a fair days pay for a fair days work no matter if they are unskilled or skilled.
  28. phil t

phil t Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Surely it’s all relative dependent upon chosen profession, qualifications, time in service, working environment, hours worked each week, etc?

:)
  29. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,081
    What special advantages did your siblings have which allowed them to retire so young?
  30. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,356
    Lol none of that, I don't know and I don't care. But you do seem to listen to what you call a wise man where you put all Tories on the same category as idiots down below your level ;)