Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is sharp still a good make?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by spat55, Mar 31, 2012.

1. spat55

spat55 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    just wondering if their still ok
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,637
    They outsource a lot so I would say hmmm.
  3. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +90
    1975 was a good year for TV's some really good pictures from the Japanese made products and around 1982 / 3 they made some of the then new "front loading" vcr's VC 9300H anyone remember them ?

When / where did you see Sharp Tv's ?
  4. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    Well they make the top of the range Elite series in the US of A
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    My first DVD player was one of theirs - one of the first of any make - around £200, 20 years ago.
    Here's who they are: Sharp today - Sharp.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Sharp... All I can see is Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes and the rest.... Bit of a silly reason to boycott a consumer electronics company, but that's just me

FWIW, I think the latter designs and innovation like quattron(?), the fourth sub pixel, hit home.
  7. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    There was a time on the Forum when the only conversation in the LCD section was where to find a Sharp TV. People travelled all over the UK to track them down!
  8. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    love my 42" sharp.
  9. spat55

spat55 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i got my sharp its got a good picture for the price, but im getting worried that i went to big, people say 60" at 10 feet away is fine tho, hopefully ill get use to it.

Dont know why they make such big losses?
  10. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Still make good solid sets but not a fan myself. Extra yellow pixel? please.:rolleyes:
  11. Quaddy

Quaddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    sharp virtually invented the flat panel tv, they actually make their own panels, and their panels appear in a lot of high end tv models. the fourth pixel thing is not exclusive to their sets, its an option, so i dont see that as a negative, as the yellow push isnt present now in newer rgby sets - besides the four sub pixels actually help with light input/output

i would say yes they are a good make.
  12. 2010

2010 Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Actually, I've often wondered why Sharp don't sell tv's similar to their Japanese range, they seem to sell more value then cutting edge tv's here in the UK.
  13. rumblesushi

rumblesushi Member

Ratings:
    +21
    They seem strangely unhyped and not talked about much these days, but about 5/6 years ago weren't they considered some of the best LCDs available?
  14. redaprilia

redaprilia Member

Ratings:
    +90
    About 6 years ago going to do a job in a large house and mounted on a swiveling bracket in the corner of the room was a brand new and at the time very expensive 21" or maybe 22" Sharp LCD TV with a 4 x 3 display and the picture was dreadful . The owners of the house could only view it at one part of the room as outside this area the picture went negative !

To be fair most other early LCD tv's were like this but from memory they had paid about £1400 for this but a plasma would have been much more expensive but vastly better .

Perhaps we should be asking what is the backup like in answer to the OP's question ?
  15. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Yeah, but lemons and bananas look good.
  16. Quaddy

Quaddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    you can say that again
  17. Airstream

Airstream New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just try searching for Sharp TV delamination. My 46" LC46X20E purchased in UK in Aug 2008 now demonstrates this problem. Fine if you have an extended warranty. Mine does not of course. Sharp may replace with a refurb or alternative TV. In my inexpert opinion, this is a manufacturing defect. Sharp TV's may have improved in the past three years, and this may be batch process related.
    However, having read around there are many people who have a multitude of problems including this screen delamination fault (White 'fingers' from side of screen noticeable on light colours, grey, light blue etc). I would have expected better than 3 years. Our previous TV's which still all work are Sony (18yrs and 11yrs), so guess where I am going for a replacement?
  18. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +569
    Hopefully not Sony? Their lcds are among the worst for clouding and backlight bleed. I would look elsewhere, but that's only my opinion, i just don't think Sony have been worth considering the last 5 years or so. (The hx 903 was meant to be good, but still had aforementioned issues).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    :laugh: I think it was Phil who a while back said something like if you like a golden image then great....sorry if thats completely wrong Phil but it was something like that.
    I think sharp lost their way a bit but I stil think of them as a solid make and have wondered why we dont hear about their sets much.:confused:
  20. lloydread

lloydread Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I love my new Sharp tv... Especially for the price :)
    I'm still blown away with the picture and also the lack of crosstalk in 3d for an active LCD
  21. ard126k

ard126k Member

Ratings:
    +11
    ISTR that the rumours about an Apple TV included mention of a Sharp-sourced screen?
    Alex.
  22. ooey

ooey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes - funnily I see that too! And I see Chelsea when I see Samsung. That is the downside of sponsorship I suppose. But I used to love JVC products (wonder why...:laugh:)
  23. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    The power of advertising......