1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Plasma Screen Burn-in Still a Problem?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheCoolGeek, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TheCoolGeek

TheCoolGeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a 32'' Tv for around £400, I was only expecting LCD's for this price and size, but, I was shopping around and I found The LG 32PG600, apparently it's the only 32'' Plasma around. And I really like this TV. And I know one of the main problems with plasma screens of the past was plasma screen burn in, I was wondering if it was still a problem on this or any other Modern Plasma tv.
  2. D-Zyne

D-Zyne Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've been in this industry for about 20 years and I have never...repeat, NEVER...known anyone in the consumer realm that permanently damaged their television from screen burn-in.
    Commercial aps, yes....but not consumer.
  3. mjcairney

mjcairney Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Image Retention - yes, possible. Screenburn - see above.

Just take care of the TV during its first couple of hundred hours of use and it should be fine. By being careful, I mean don't leave channels with DOGs on for a long time uninterrupted and keep the brightness and contrast settings lower than normal to start with.

I have the same set in my bedroom set-up and can tell you that it's fine.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. It is the only 32" plasma on the market.
  4. andy1249

andy1249 Member

Ratings:
    +1,235
    I have , mostly from games , the latest one on an LG plasma screen just two weeks old , the owners son left Fifa soccer on all night ( approx 8 hours ) and permanently burnt in 1-0 score is on screen. Its clearly visible with the set turned off as well.

Note that for most people , leaving a screen on all night like that would never be done , but it happened and the screen is ruined.

Previous cases mostly involved games as well , fighting games are the culprit , usually combined with lots of pints and falling asleep in front of the TV , If anyone knows tekken ...the game , I have seen a plasma with " You Lose " permanently burnt into the screen , owner fell asleep playing the game , woke up next morning with a hangover and a ruined set.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. BarnsleyBMF

BarnsleyBMF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try downloading the manual from the manufacturers website, for my panasonic the manual said that after 5 minutes of a static image it reduces the brightness of the picture to prevent screen burn and I have noticed that with the connection to the HTPC I get "no signal" after a short while.
  6. andy1249

andy1249 Member

Ratings:
    +1,235
    The owner of the LG tried all the routines for clearing image retention , unfortunately its not image retention , its burn in and permanent.
    It has been refused warranty replacement and he is now trying to get a claim on the house insurance.

Its an extreme situation , granted , but it does happen if your not careful.

Panasonics have a lot of anti burn in tech that the LG's do not have , Ive never seen a Panny with burn in.
  7. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Then you simply don't know as many people as you would like us to believe.

To say that a plasma screen cannot suffer burn in is to say that the phosphor layer does not age as that is exactly what burn in is, its the uneven aging of the screens phosphor layer.

Athough there are brands that have all sorts of smart stuff going on to help prevent it the Plasma make & model the OP quoted does not.
  8. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Burn in is a problem for gamers more than anything, I have the 32PG6000 in my bedroom as a primarily gaming TV with some SD TV and movies and I can say that the IR was fairly bad in the first few hours but now, after about 50 hours, there is very little IR at all, you just need to take it easy in the first few hundred hours. If you ask me, someone who leaves the same image on screen overnight, whether by accident or not, is asking for it, you just need to take a little more care. For watching regular TV you should be fine, just stay away from ITV2/3/4 in the first couple of hundred hours. As for permanent damage it is fairly rare, some people do suffer from it but that does only happen if they leave an image on screen all night.
  9. TheCoolGeek

TheCoolGeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good beacause I've just seen the Panasonic TH-37PX8 for £430
  10. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    The new Panasonics are very resistant to IR and burn in, just don't leave a bright image on screen all night! I had the BBC3 logo on my PX80 for about 3 hours last night and it did nothing, that's made of pink writing so would normally cause a problem on some plasmas. Even the sets most prone to IR (LGs and Samsungs mainly) are pretty resistant to permanent damage, just take it easy in the early hours to be safe.

The 80 is better than the 8 (which is a mix if last years and this years technology) but the 8 is good none the less
  11. TheCoolGeek

TheCoolGeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yh i saw the 80, but it's a bit out of my price range, and the 8 has a good spec
  12. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    That's fair enough. The 8 is a mix of the 70 and the 80, the 70 was one of the best sets of 2007, the 80 was one of the best sets of 2008 and it's a mix of the two...it's a good set
  13. Jorisspringer

Jorisspringer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Personally I dont think burn-in is an issue anymore, ofcourse you should not keep an static image on your screen for hours at the same time but with normal use it should not be any problem, even with the LG plasma's. I have an LG plasma at home and after more then 200 hours I have never any problem with retention anymore except for the menu from the tv self because that is set with the contrast at 100% even though the rest of the inputs are set at around 45% but even that retentions is gone within seconds.
  14. boksbox

boksbox Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I've got a 26" LCD with the freeview Radio 5 Live logo permanently burn't in..
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  15. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Yep, burn in is technically possible on LCDs, not many people know about it though, at least with plasmas people know about the possibility so they do take steps to prevent it. It is far far more likely to happen on plasma too.

As mentioned above permanent burn in isn't a huge problem anymore. I use my LG 32PG6000 and while there is IR it washes away after just a few seconds, a couple of minutes max, technology has moved forwards a lot, people shouldn't worry as much as they do.

There are some rediculous urban myths about plasma screens, my favourite is that you have to refill the phosphors every few months at a petrol station :rotfl:
  16. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    *aborts trip to petrol station*
  17. mjcairney

mjcairney Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    God, my Pioneer is over four years old - the tank must be well empty. :D

Cheers,

Martin.
  18. boksbox

boksbox Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Only a year or two ago, in a Comet store, I was stood next to a huge bloke, as wide as he was tall, he was telling his mate that his mate had recently had to have his plasma re-gassed and showed him the hdmi socket where the gas goes in..
    I declined to comment or s****** in favour of not getting beaten to a pulp.
  19. mjcairney

mjcairney Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Unbelievable, isn't it?

A friend of mine said to me a couple of years ago that he wouldn't buy a plasma, as it cost "an arm and a leg" to have them re-gassed. Needless to say, he now has one, and is delighted with it - RESULT! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.
  20. IanPM

IanPM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    1) LG sets to retain and image easily. In fact, they will, for a short time, retain the image of their own menu systems.

2) Most plasma brands (my Pioneer included) have options to turn off the set after a certain amount of inactivity.

3) After a few hundred hours, burn is less likely

4) Most games consoles will dim the screen if left alone for a long time.

5) Most "burn" is actually "retention"

Test Methodology - ISF test technicians left a static video game (Half Life 2) menu
    image on each TV for a period of 48 hours to simulate a full weekend "burn". Post 48-
    hour observations were quantified and documented as: 1 = Not Visible, 2 = Barely
    Visible, 3 = Somewhat Visible, 4 = Easily Visible, 5 = Readily Visible and Clearly
    Defined. A subsequent 24-hour movie loop was then run in an attempt to "fix" any
    image retention caused by the static video game menu.

Test Results - After the 48-hour test, all LCD and microdisplay rear projection
    televisions scored a "1", as there was no indication of any image retention after the
    test period. Plasma, on the other hand, did show clear signs of image retention, with
    all displays scoring a "5" after 48-hours of displaying the video game menu. However,
    after running a movie loop on each plasma display for 24 hours, ISF testers could not
    perceive the previously retained images while watching video on the plasmas after
    the 24 hour "fix". As such, plasma’s image retention score went back down to a "1".

From: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf
  21. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    ^ Moral of the story - don't cheap-out, get a Pioneer.
  22. TheCoolGeek

TheCoolGeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i think then - if your getting a smaller size get an LCD
  23. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    It depends all on how much gaming use there is involved, if you game for a good few hours on the trot on the same game quite often then I would avoid the Samsung and LG plasmas. If you game for longer than 8 hours on the trot then avoid Pioneer and Panasonics and go for an LCD. In all cases of plasma screens i would be careful in the first 100 hours when it comes to gaming and recommend anyone to keep an eye out for IR, even on the top sets. After going to plasma though I'm not going to LCD again, after getting a plasma I pay more attention to the faults in an LCD display rather than watching what's on! The only time I would even consider LCD is if it was only to be used for gaming.

...I'm not trying to big plasma up though...I'm completely unbiased...
  24. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I have been wondering if this is the point. I've seen these threads popping up alot recently and am beginning to think the answer may be down to the brands or even particular models.

Plasma's have dropped incredibly in price, wonder what aspects they had to "give" on, can't all be markup.
  25. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    It's true that different brands generally provide different pros and cons. Panasonics are very resistant to image retention and burn in whereas LGs (in my opinion) have better colours (similar for TV and movies, more vivid for gaming though) and my LG impressed me more than my Panasonic when I plugged my PS3 into it. LGs are fairly prone to IR though, as are Samsungs although the technology is improving a lot and all of these brands are improving in all of their shortfalls. Pioneers are generally pretty much the best, resistant to IR and have great colours and all other stuff, you do need to pay for it though
  26. SPARTAN086 Mike

SPARTAN086 Mike Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just thought I might add to this,

I have a Samsung PS50A656 Plasma that is now about 3/4 months old, would give you the set run time but doing so wipes all my settings, but it has probably had more use than the average plasma.

I was very careful for the first 100 hours, in fact the vast majority of this time the set was basically playing a break-in dvd (a non-stop slow repeating set of various colours). Overall, the set does get IR fairly often, for example, if the set has just been switched on and I have a quick look through the menu settings, it will retain a faint ghost of the menu, but this kind of IR is wiped off straight away pretty much by any moving image.

I use my Plasma primarily for gaming (biggest size TV and the best value 1080p I could afford) and recently I have been spending some quite substantial time on Saints Row 2. As anyone who has played it will see, the HUD is quite "plasma unfriendly", i.e. most of the status indicators are not transparent, and constantly remain on the screen. I had a 4-5 hour session on the game the other day and as you can expect, left a good amount of IR.

However, I had some studying to do so left the break-in DVD on the plasma for roughly 2 hours, and after my return, any and all IR had been completely wiped. So in short, for my plasma anyway, IR happens often, but its easy to remove and does not damage the set in any way.
  27. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Same happened to me, I had a slightly prolongued session on my LG plasma (still on 50 hours or so old) and I was on GTA IV online playing Hangmans NOOSE over and over (trying to level up). The ammo/time indicators, which are bright white, were pretty much up on screen for 2 and a half to 3 hours, I suddenly realized what I had done so I switched to AV2 (with nothing plugged into it) to see the damage I had done. There was a decent amount of IR, I thought that it would take a good couple of hours of TV watching to get rid of it. I was amazed how quickly it went though, it was pretty much gone after about 10 minutes of TV and completely gone after 20, I was so chuffed I went back on!
  28. Pete James

Pete James Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think having a plasma would be too stressful for me :suicide: I hear mixed stories from what i've read on these forums - some can plug in their laptops & play games with certain fixed images for 8+ hours with no problem apparently. Others have all sorts of tv channel and games logos either retained or burnt in LCDs fine for me I think. Not having that 'perfect' image is worth the stress saving, not having to fiddle with settings and being able to definitely hook up games, laptops, photos and falling asleep drunk without waking up to a trashed £1000 tv
  29. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Nicely bumped :rotfl:
  30. Pete James

Pete James Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hehe, cheers. Just thought I'd subtly slip it in there. At least it proves someone uses the search function :hiya: