Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my screen ok?

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by War Geordie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. War Geordie

War Geordie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    First time posting. I am a keen AV fan and a few days ago I dipped my toe into the projector market for the first time...and being a 'slight' novice I decided to read through alot of stuff on here regarding different types of screens... now I am now unsure that my screen is the best one possible for my room. It arrived with the projector and at time of purchase I did not know a screen could make so much difference!

anyway...

my current screen is 'Screenlabs rollerwall 110" 10110D' 16x9

other info

projector Epson EH-TW5500
    room 5M x 3M
    walls matt red (kinda brick red)
    ceiling is matt light gray

I am fortunate to be able to afford a better screen if it will yield better results.. if one is available!

all advice is welcome!

P.S. I'm in the UK
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,952
    what is it that makes you think your screen may not be suitable for your room /pj.

Allan
  3. War Geordie

War Geordie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    because I used to think a 'screen is a screen'.. but reading though this forum this seems not to be the case. my screen was only £200 and there seem to be many different types avail. so wanted to post the question.. 'can I get better?' .. am I bringing out the best in my projector!
  4. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    I`ll put it another way then

what do you feel isn`t right with your image?

forget the price for a minute and I`ll try to help you

Allan
  5. War Geordie

War Geordie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    at the moment I feel the image (although excellent) it is not quite 'pin' sharp (I'm using a bluray copy of Avatar as a reference).. but this maybe due to the fact that I have not had time to sit down and calibrate the projector yet! none the less I just thought I would ask the question. some people have been throwing around prices way in excess of what I paid for my screen so that set my mind wondering! I am very much a novice when it come to projectors and screens so trying to learn as much as possible!
  6. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Avatar is indeed very sharp and offers lots of detail

the Epson 5500 is also a great pj that should produce a pin sharp image

what is the make up of the screen material, is it very flat or does it have a textured feel to it, if its flat then are you sure you have got the focus set correctly, newbie question but you have to ask.

if its a texture surface then its often not as good as a flat surface when it comes to getting good focussing.

btw, what are your blacks like, the epson can produce some excellent black levels

have you tried another film btw?
  7. War Geordie

War Geordie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    this is the best link I can find to the screen... but there is not really much detailed info!

DSAV Products - SCREENLABS ROLLERWALL/10110D

the surface appears to have a very very fine texture.

looking along the screen from the side there are some very slight curves (and I mean very slight) which I guess is common for something hanging freely. I suspect that this will result in very slight 'out of focus' areas where the screen curves are? I have seen some screens that offer 'tab tensioning' so I can only assume that this is to solve this problem?

I have tried several movies but Avatar seems to bring out this problem more so.

If these curves are the problem I would be happy to pay for a more professional screen that hangs more evenly!

as for the blacks: they (so far) are very good but like I said.. I still need to calibrate the projector and I have yet to install my blackout blinds. I have also ordered the star wars discs as (apart from being great movies) I have read that is contains a HD THX calibration tool.

.. so if the screen is not giving the best and sharpest image possible it seems like a pointless excercise to try to calibrate the projector using a sub-standard screen!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  8. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,952
    yes a tab tensioned screen will eliminate (or should do) any ripples in the screen material.

Have you actually tried a different disc and got a very sharp detailed image at all, i`m trying to establish if the lens is focussing properely.

if so then the screen material isn`t at fault apart from the ripples

Allan

PS. welcome to the forum btw :smashin:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. War Geordie

War Geordie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks

when I first got the projector I attached a large perfectly flat white sheet of paper (A0) size to the wall a test (didn't have the screen erected at that time) and I thought the image was very sharp. It was as good as my 60" sony bravia so I don't think the lens is a problem... however it is a smaller image...

I've also tried the focus using the text from one of the black and white menus... I have to say at 110" it is sharp but not what I would call 'pin' sharp.

I have tried movies like 'Thin red line' and that lookes sharper then Avatar... I have even tried aliens and although the film has alot of grain it was very very sharp. I was wondering if because avatar was originally made in 3D that the 2D image focus has suffered ever so slightly and is more apparent on larger screens?

I'm going to do some more detailed tests tonight when it gets dark because like I said earlier I don't have my black out blinds installed yet so can't get total darkness in my room at the mo!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012