Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to 'jailbreak' a Sky HD box?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by RX7 Type RS, Oct 27, 2009.

1. RX7 Type RS

RX7 Type RS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sky HD box, and have escaped the evil clutches of SKy subscriptions... ;)

I knwo you can use the box as a Freeview box without the card in it, but i am wondering if there's a way to enable it as a PVR without paying Sky the £10/month?

Surely someone out there must have worked out how to - after all its just a PVR at the end of the day...

Thanks
  2. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I do not believe it can be as it has to be activated by sky, also surely doing it or "hacking" it would be illegal?
  3. RX7 Type RS

RX7 Type RS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well no, as once you own the box, it's yours to do with as you please, surely?

I'm sure someone out there must have done it...
  4. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Ratings:
    +21
    but don't sky on the rights to the box being a PVR, otherwise people would complain about sky locking the box and wanting to charge £10 per month,
  5. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Indeed , but along with bashing someones head in with it , using it to steal paid services is also illegal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Without going into details there is a hack for the 3100 and well that's it:)

The code that runs the proprietary service that is SKY+ which is a subscription based service is property of SKY so any attempt to hack or reverse engineer is a civil issues in terms intellectual property. There is no fear of the police raiding your home if you are tampering with the hardware or code, now distribute that sort of information then it's a whole new ball game:)
    The weakest area of SKY+ is the CS reps who turn the service on and off and the lack of long term kill signals, it has been known for a box to be turned off just before cancellation of service and left off for a 3 months and then turned back on and hey presto the SKY+ part is still active.
  7. lotsatoys

lotsatoys Member

Ratings:
    +83
    As my Hellish friend has said,no-one has done this,and I'm so sure of it I'm not even going to add a AFAIK on the end.:D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Ratings:
    +21
    What has been said is correct, I am sure no harm would come in "cracking it" but sharing that on here is a BIG no no..

And thank you for the hellish comment, made my day
  9. simon194

simon194 Member

Ratings:
    +120
    You can do what you like with the box but you don't own the software that's installed. That belongs to NDS and OpenTV.
  10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Ratings:
    +70
    put if your technicly minded and are willing to to go through alot of trial and error, you can certainly use fee software available on the internet with a PC to replace the sky+ (HD) box.

Also the TV is decrypted while live so anything already record can be watched regardless of your subscription status or without a viewing card.
  11. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +400
    Is it a repeat offender of tv shows the reason it has been sent to jail to be broken out ? :rotfl: