Is anyone bothered about the fan noise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mines silent when its switched off.:D

Just watched a DVD film 2 hours long speed of fans never changed mines quiet as a mouse eating some cheese.

I honestly cannot hear anything from my PS3, if anything my DVD recorder makes a louder noise!!! if i turn everything off and sit next to the ps3 with my ear to it i can make out the fan otherwise its silent

i did a comparison today between a ps2 ( old style ) , 360 and ps3

the noisiest was the 360 , then the ps2 and finally the ps3

the old ps2 was particularly annoying with a high pitched whine , surprisingly , making the leap to the ps3 even more impressive

i don't think it's really that it's amazingly noisy , it's just that the supposed silence of the thing ( the usa / japanese ones anyway ) was one of the hyped up features and finding it's not feels like a bit of a let down to all us loyal sony customers

Mine's cerntainly not silent - easily audible from 8 feet away even on startup, but it's not loud enough to be annoying even during a quiet bit of film. The fans don't seem to have gone above the 2nd level so far, on it's side on a shelf system with no sides.
Much quieter than my PS2, quieter by a good bit than the 360 I had a year or so ago. Remains to be seen if it's quieter than skyHD ,as that gets installed on friday :clap: :D

I have my PS3, x360, projector and Pc right next to where I sit and I would say the PS3 definatly the one which makes least noise. With the xbox360 making a bloodly racket!!!!

i did a comparison today between a ps2 ( old style ) , 360 and ps3

the noisiest was the 360 , then the ps2 and finally the ps3

the old ps2 was particularly annoying with a high pitched whine , surprisingly , making the leap to the ps3 even more impressive

i don't think it's really that it's amazingly noisy , it's just that the supposed silence of the thing ( the usa / japanese ones anyway ) was one of the hyped up features and finding it's not feels like a bit of a let down to all us loyal sony customers

Sony previously stated that the PS3 will be about the same noise level as a slimline PS2. Anything extra is a bonus...

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf

"For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2."

My fans seem to stay at about level 2 watching a dvd if the ps3 is out placed vertically. This I feel is an acceptable noise level. As soon as I place it horizontally though in my unit still with plenty of room the fans get louder to an annoying level.

I was very impressed with the noise level. My 360 is by far the noisiest bit of kit I have now. PS3 is very quiet as well as my PC (Thank you Zalman).

:thumbsup:

I don't know about the noise-level categorisation, but I noticed last night that my PS3 is noiser when playing Oblivion than when playing a DVD. I originally kept it horizontal and it was equally noisy for both formats. When I moved it into a vertical position, it was quieter for DVDs, but seems to still be pretty noisy for Oblivion.

I think it runs just as hot in both positions, tbh.

Just an update really.

Does anyone with a PS3 own a sound level meter?

I think it's almost impossible to get an accurate idea of how noisy something is based on peoples opinions.

I would consider getting a PS3 mainly for AV use, but like everyone else, I would need it to be VERY quiet otherwise it would annoy me too much!

Some basic sound level measurements at say 1mtr, 2mtr, 3mtr distance and with the PS3 performing various tasks would be very helpful to potential buyers like myself.

If anyone has a sound level meter I am happy for them to test mine. Like I said my ps3 is very noisy in my opinion and I am not that fussy on sound.

For a purist there is absolutely no way it would be acceptable. They obviously make alot less noise stood up from peoples comments but that is no good for the majority of people who want to integrate the ps3 into their avrack.

If anyone has a sound level meter I am happy for them to test mine. Like I said my ps3 is very noisy in my opinion and I am not that fussy on sound.

For a purist there is absolutely no way it would be acceptable. They obviously make alot less noise stood up from peoples comments but that is no good for the majority of people who want to integrate the ps3 into their avrack.

My sentiments exactly.

OK as a test with the door open to the lounge and with the tv and and everything else off I just tried how far I can get away from the ps3 whilst it is running and still hear it.

My lounge is 24ft long and the console is under the tv in approximately the middle of the room.

From the doorway (14ft away) its clearly auidible with nothing else switched on running folding @ home (so the br drive is not even spun up)

I then tried it in the hallway which is also approximately 24 ft long. Unbelivably at the front door some 38ft away I can still hear the ps3 fan (all be it faintly)

I must admit I dont have brilliant hearing :eek: There is no indication my ps3 is faulty at all, you cant tell me these things are silent....

I have looked on ebay and sound meters are around £15 but thats from China. If anyone knows where one can be purchased for under £20 in th UK I would be happy to get one and do some test.

Out of my av gear, not being scentific about it I would rate the ps3 as follows (Most noisy item at top of list) :

Panasonic ae 900 projector
Ps3 / xbox 360 (They give out simliar nosie levels to my mind)
Dreamcast
xbox (Original)
Panasonic 50" plasma (That has loads of fans but dosnt make anywhere near as much noise as the ps3)
Helios upscaling dvd hd media player
ps2 slim (completely silent in menus)

I then tried it in the hallway which is also approximately 24 ft long. Unbelivably at the front door some 38ft away I can still hear the ps3 fan (all be it faintly)

I must admit I dont have brilliant hearing :eek: There is no indication my ps3 is faulty at all, you cant tell me these things are silent....

That looks like an indication it's faulty to me - the hear my PS3 at 24ft you'd have to have ears like a bat. Heck mine is running F@H now and you can't even tell it's on from around 7-8 feet away.

Tony is yours flat or standing up ?

Standing up (next to the AV rack) since it makes a difference (had it horizontal in front of the TV for a while but it ran just that bit hotter to make the fans kick to the next level (still pretty quiet but noticable)).

On a comparative level it never gets louder than my SkyHD box.

The PJ is *much* louder (but then I am sat underneath it). 360 is louder than all of them (audible in the next room).

I can honestly say I have not noticed the sound of the fan yet. I do have my PS3 placed in a well ventilated area which might help. My mate traded his 360 in for a PS3 and he said the difference is day and night, the 360 was like having a hairdryer on whilst playing games.

Sony previously stated that the PS3 will be about the same noise level as a slimline PS2. Anything extra is a bonus...

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf

"For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2."

maybe they meant the slim line ps2 when the fans are on , that is surprisingly noisy , compared to the staggering silence of when they're off

oh well

Does the slim ps2 even have a fan ? I have never heard any noise comming out of mine at all except very low levels from the drive when its reading the disc.

It seems as close to silent as you can get. In comparison you can hear my ps3 30ft + away

my ps3 is silent, my ps2 was louder i cant hear a thing, not like my 360 which i thought was gonna take off n fly out the window

made such a difference stood up next to the tv never gets above the sound when its just been swiched on so more that happy . going to watch a bluray at the weekend but not as bad as a xbox 360 while watching a hddvd sounded like someone hoovering up ater 10 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom