1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody actually happy with talk talk?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by sparkie1984, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sparkie1984

sparkie1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +720
    Hi guys by the end of this weekend I need to have ordered broadband as I'm verging on insanity!!!!

I'm stuck between bt and talk talk, been told talk talk would be beat because of LLU.

But is anybody remotely happy with talk talk
  2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +843
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Likewise. Been with them for 3 years and they dealt with the one line fault within a few hours.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. sparkie1984

Ratings:
    +720
    great!

I'm going to call them once my phones charged and sign up.

Wonder how long I'll have to wait for an engineer on a saturday??
  5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +843
    use the link I posted: you can get up a map local to you showing the speeds of any users in your area in the last 6 months.
  6. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    thats a good link that,funny how there is people who is further away from the exchange than me and getting over 10meg download and im getting at best now 5meg with sky,just phoned TT and going back to them sick of sky
  7. George287

George287 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have a friend who changed to TalkTalk because it was cheaper. We used to play a lot of online games and it never worked properly, constant drop outs. After 2 months he changed to BT at a much larger cost.
  8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    Their customer service has (or had, may be improving) a poor reputation but people who used their forums to discuss problems seem pretty happy, i.e. don't rely on phone or email for sorting out issues.
  9. willj12

willj12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118
    My girlfriend used to be with Talk Talk. She would get 10mb sync but would be throttled for everything on their supposedly no traffic shaped and unlimited package, even YouTube was unwatchable!
    Now she is on BE* and gets 12mb sync with no traffic shaping and get the full speed all day.
  10. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Haha this will probably make things a bit more difficult for you:
    I was with talk talk and should have been getting 8mb download speed but was on average about 3mb but then randomly dropped one day to below 1mb, so we moved to BT, although we didn't get the unlimited plan my average speed now is about 5/6mb :)
    And the customer service was terrible when I with talk talk, they even messed up moving me over to BT and charged me for another month..
  11. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    well ive just gone back to talktalk it goes live on the 2nd of aug,suppose ive got the first month and if not happy you can cancel,knew i should of just went back to BT
  12. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    well waited in all day today for engineer to come as talktalk said we were going live today no engineer showed so phoned them up and now they say the 19th,sorry cancelled it all they messing me around before i even join so god knows what they would be like after been with them for a while,now try BT lol
  13. sparkie1984

Ratings:
    +720
    You'd of thought that the one thing they'd get right is your install date!!!!

Jokers
  14. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    well thats what i thought :rotfl:,
  15. wormvortex

wormvortex Member

Ratings:
    +269
    You know talk talk use openreach engineers. The same as BT will be sending round ;)
  16. sparkie1984

Ratings:
    +720
    Yeah I know they all have to for a new line.

But my point still remains.
  17. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    no i didnt but if they cant get the date right for instalation which i stopped in all day for cant imagine what it would be like if something goes wrong further down the line with them,going to stay with sky for now
  18. Amran

Amran Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I am a BT customer and i moved property and the new property didn't have any telephone line installed so called BT and got a engineer install date, time they are arriving and activiation date. So i got email from bt saying when the install date and they kept sending me text message keeping me up to date on what is going on. Also they let me check on my BT account if the date was canceled or not.

When it came to the date the engineer came around 5.30pm and he said he can't finish the job as they finish there shift at 6pm so he said he will be back next day so i told the him to leave his tool behind in my house so is a gurantee he will be coming back and he said ok and he came next day at 8am in the morning and i was happy with the result.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  19. sparkie1984

Ratings:
    +720
    Good idea with the tool, although if someone asked me that in my trade I'd refuse (tools are expensive)

I have a morning appointment and can't have more time off so it's tomorrow or never :D
  20. ytsud69

ytsud69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Definately use the forums for any broadband issues. If you ring you will get India!

The forum team tweaked my profile thus increasing my speed from 5 to 7Mb (on an 8Mb line).
  21. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    I have been with Pipex since around 2003 and since TalkTalk has taken over the service is not great. The download speed has been up and down several times a day. The best service I had was with Pipex at the beginning on just 1Mbps. It was rock solid 24 hours a day.

Can BB cause the line to go dead (inc the phone)? Also I hear crackling/noise on the line. Three times now the BT cannot find what is wrong despite being no dial tone a lot of the time. It is coming up for a month now.

The BB is also syncing at less than 50% of what it should be since a few days ago. I am just getting 1.5Mbit atm.

Sometimes I cannot even write an email and send it until the BB sync up again.

I am also looking at migration but don't want the same problem with someone else.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  22. wormvortex

wormvortex Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Sounds like you have a phone fault if the line is crackling and going dead at times. Is it a case that the line is fine when an engineer is round hence them not finding an issue because if it noisy when they cone out an they can't fix it they are not doing there job right.

Also you will more than likely have the same issue with any service provider as they are use the same pair of wires back to the exchange. Except virgins cable BB.
  23. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Another engineer is coming out on Tuesday. Apart from the low 1.5mbit speed,the phone and internet has been fine since last night. It won't stay up I tried to two routers and they both come out at the same low speed.

When the router loses the connection I noticed the SNR going down to -7.2. It has also been as nigh as 20.8 when working. Those figures don't look right to me.

I thought that might be the case with the provider. I really would like to get rid of Pipex/TalkTalk. I haven't been happy for a while now especially since the speed liked to keep dropping and then going back up. Sometimes it went down as low as 600. I am not expecting it to be really fast due to length of the line but 3.5Mb should be possible all the time easily. I did put a new router in one time and it shot up to 5Mb but it didn't stay at that speed and gradually went down.

Current settings -

SNR Margin (dB): 10.6 7.5
    Attenuation (dB): 58.0 29.4
    Output Power (dBm): 1.3 10.6
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3760 892
    Rate (Kbps): 1542 773

The line just went dead when I went to send this post at 12. Notice the low 1.3 output downstream power??

Line is on again at 1.30.
  24. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Looks like my problem was the phone line from the telephone pole to the house. BT after 5 attempts at trying to fix the problem have put a new line up. However, Pipex/TalkTalk is now only 1Mbit speed and should be 3-3.5 times that. I wonder if they purposely put the speed down due to the disconnections over the 5 weeks. In the next 2 -3 weeks I will be looking at moving away from them to probably Plus Net assuming they do free migration (cannot find anything to confirm that).

I haven't been happy with them for a while and should have gone somewhere else ages ago.
  25. railfrog

railfrog Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the process of changing from TalkTalk back to sky.
    I got talked into changing to them 18 months ago, and it was one of the worst decisions of my life.
    From the start the connection started dropping. It seemed to have got sorted after a few weeks.
    When the "cooling off" period ended we started getting constant drop outs with up to 20 a day.
    This went on for about 4 months, and every time you phone the "helpdesk" you have to go through all the checks before you can get moved on to someone else.
    After a while it got sorted and went ok for about 6 months. Then it started happening again.
    Eventually we were "given" to a lady who works in the Chief Executive's Office. We did get sorted out but only after a couple of weeks.
    Thought all was well as we were coming to the end of the loooong contract and guess what....Yeah, it started dropping out again. Even incoming phone calls would cut the BroadBand connection.

There were some very helpful people who we managed to talk to. One of them gave us a couple of months refund for all the trouble we had.
    The actual speed was also good. I am about 500 metres from the exchange and I would very rarely get speeds below 20000Kbps.

I will never go back to TalkTalk and if I hear of anyone thinking of changing to them I will try to talk them out of it.

Remember that it is an 18 month contract.
  26. Dragon Doctor

Dragon Doctor Member

Ratings:
    +14
    58.0 alt?

Ok well 3-4mbps would be nice for that

try joining the Talktalk Members Forum and asking for a profile change i recommend a 6db profile (24INSR6) it should boost you're speed by a fair bit.

Though after they fitted a new line what are you router stats now?

to see what kind of speed you should be getting for you're alt check out Kitz Max Speed Checker
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  27. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,223
    D U

SNR Margin :24.1 8.0 db

Line Attenuation:51.0 28.9 db

Data Rate:1030 902 kbps

Max Rate:5136 976 kbps

POWER:15.3 12.3 dbm

CRC:0 253

I have had 3-4Mb for years and was only when BT started to mess around with the line then the speed went down. Even when it was disconnecting it was over 3 and went down in the last 1.5 weeks prior to the line being sorted.

I am hoping to change providers.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  28. Dragon Doctor

Dragon Doctor Member

Ratings:
    +14
    If you're looking for a new provider check here

it will show you what kit is available in you're exchange.
  29. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Done that ages ago, Probably looking at plus net atm as long as it has free migration.
  30. Dragon Doctor

Dragon Doctor Member

Ratings:
    +14
    £25 connection charge if you leave with in 12months

i got stung with that after i left them a few months back.