Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by TsaraBomba, Jan 10, 2012.

1. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    I have been an iPhone fan boy since the 3G came out. Many moons ago I had a fallen out with the 3GS and we parted separate ways. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire, none of them appeal to me. They where good phones just couldn't get on with the Android OS. So I went crawling back to Apple and have been there prison b*tch ever since. :thumbsdow

I awoke on Saturday with a deep down hatred for my iPhone 4. Again. :D But I this time its for good. I need to get away from Apple.

So my question to all Windows users is what should I go for?

A mate in work has the HTC HD7 - which to be honest looks pretty good. Nice screen but the resolution doesnt look as sharp as the iPhone 4.

I would use my phone for music and photos a lot and of course calls text.

Any suggestions would be great.
  2. AVF Jay

AVF Jay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,139
    I've got a 4s and gs2 and am tempted by windows, but what puts me off is lack of apps, and the fact it seems you can't do much with the os.

I'll be honest the os looks slick, much slicker than ios and the latest version of android.

The nokia lumia looks nice but the spec is a little "dated", yes I know a big spec isn't needed but I'd want something a little better in spec.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428

Not too fussed about the lack of apps. Only use a few on my iPhone so I think that won't be a big issue for me.

Not to keen on the Nokia Lumia - haven't had a Nokia since the 3110 - good times :thumbsup:

Really tempted in the HD7 or HD7S.
  4. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    Hi, I've been an WP7 user for two months now, I love the iPhone and still do but got a little bored and decided to use this for a bit.

Overall the OS does pretty much everything you want it to do, some slight issues here and there but no big deal.

Personally I would not recommended the HTC you have chosen, I would go with the Samsung Omnia 7 or the newly released Omnia W: Samsung Omnia W I8350 Sim Free / Unlocked
    They use a Super Amoled screen which gives it a very vibrant and sharp picture quality, the blacks are pure blacks like you would expect on a plasma screen. The marketplace is slowly getting momentum, we have had more official apps getting released by larger brands. The built in browser is brilliant...

Got to go will get back to you when I come back...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    Just had a google of the Samsung Omina 7. Looks pretty impressive.

One thing I need to know. How do you update the software on W7 phones. Is it much like using iTunes. I'm a bit iffy about the change - I have been on iPhone for so long now and pretty much know what needs to be known about them.
  6. AVF Jay

AVF Jay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,139
  7. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    Updating is very easy, download Zune and connect your Phone and you could update through Zune. Pretty much the same way as you do with iTunes and iPhone. WP7 and IOS are very, very similar which is why people get along with it easier than Android.

The phone and keypad is just as sensitive as it is on the iPhone, used to have HTC Desire but couldn't get along with the touch response on that. WP7 phone can do everything IOS can, infact with WP7 there is no need to download Facebook or Twitter because its integrated very nicely (although you can download the official apps too). Just like Apple iCloud with Wp7 you have skydrive integrated, so your office files and photos are instantly uploaded on your cloud. It has MS Office for free, so no need to pay for third party apps.

Multitasking is by far the easiest on Wp7 compared to any other OS out there, if you're a music junkie you can pay £9 a month to download unlimited songs as you want from Zune (on the go as well). You will also get to download 10 songs a month for free to keep regardless of your subscription.

All this in under 14 months is very impressive, Android still doesn't have a music service in the uk yet after 2 years. Updates are far more regularly to on Wp7, in 14 months we had 2 updates and a 3rd minor one coming soon, the updates are pushed quicker as well by Microsoft unlike Android.
  8. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    What W7 phone do you use?

Trying to see which is the best to get.

So far my options are:

HTC HD7 or HD7S
    HTC Titan
    Samsung Omina 7
  9. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    I'm using Omnia 7 sadly they only come in 8gb but space isn't an issue because I don't listen to music and apps don't take much space anyway. If you have the money go for the Titan, if not get the Omnia 7 you won't regret it.

Forgot to mention Nokia maps and Nokia Drive will be released some time early spring, bringing offline sat nav to every wp7 user. If you can't wait you can jailbreak it and download the Nokia drive sat nav map.
  10. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I really wouldn't discount the Nokia range until you've had a play with one, IMO it's up there with the best of the WP range.

Don't get dragged into an Android way of thinking, you don't need massively high specifications, you wont benefit in the vast majority of every-day scenarios. Graphics performance is a consideration if you intend on playing the top-end of 3D games, but otherwise forget it.

Android needs massive spec's because it's an OS designed on a platform of compromise and endless possible hardware combinations. Windows Phone has strict hardware guidelines that manufacturers must follow, leaving the OS much more focused and optimised in the process. It stands toe-to-toe with iOS in that regard, as well as for polish, slick looks and performance.

Nokia make great hardware, always crippled in their smartphones by below-average software. Windows Phone is a good match for Nokia hardware :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    Still undecided on what W7 to purchased. Have been on all the sites looking and comparing the specs etc.

I have a friend buying my iPhone at £300.00 and can throw an extra £100 - £150 on top of that. So for a budget of £450.00 what would be the best phone out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
  12. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Nokia Lumia 800 or The Omnia 7. I've got the Lumia now and had an Omnia 7 (my sons got that now).

I beleive the Omina W is available in the UK now. Samsung Omnia W hits UK shelves, retails for nearly $540

I wouldn't go for the HD7 either the display isn't as good as the oled screens for me.

Nip into Carphone warehouse and take a test drive.
  13. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I would agree with those two choices - the Lumia is the pick of the bunch for me, but the beauty of WP7 is it runs nicely on older hardware still (gaming aside), so the Omnia 7 is a bit of a bargain if you're looking to buy second hand.

I would throw the Dell Venue Pro into the mix if you prefer physical buttons, but it's a big ol' beast. Not stupidly so, but it's certainly been at the cakes...
  14. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    I'm going to switch to WP7 this year too. The HTC Titan appeals to me most because of the large screen although the resolution could be higher. Nokia Lumia 900 would have been sweet but it's not confirmed for UK.
  15. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
  16. clarky78

clarky78 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    You need to say what it is about your iPhone that you donät like so we can say if the WP7 platform addresses this or is better.

I personally have just taken a HTC Titan a month or so ago, moving from a heavily hacked Samsung SGS (was running Ice Cream Sandwich before the sitch to HTC). I also have an iPod touch, which is an Iphone without the phone to all intents and purpose. Coming from Android the Lockdown of WP7 is a pretty big shock, however, the fact that the Titan just works means I don't feel and need for hacking it.. yet.

One thing I feared, was that my contacts are stored on Google and this uses Windows Live in the same way as Andoird rely's on Google. However, I used my Windows log in, set my Google account, and what seemed like immediately, the People tile, was flipping over pictures of all my contacts! The live tiles are amazing! People (which is where WP7 pulls all contacts and feeds from facebook to twitter to phone contacts) had every Google contact, all my facebook contacts, the people stream was full of facebook updates(I only use facebook), and the phone felt alive and like mine already!
    Going to pictures I noticed the phone was already full of pictures of me! It pulled thumbnails of all pictures of me off facebook! All there! And some of the people I had looked at, had all their pictures thumbnailed! It shows peoples names and a picture and in there is all pictures of them! AMAZING!

Digging deeper, I have noticed little annoyances, for example, linking mulitple contacts (google, live, facebook etc) always uses the name from the live account (which it seems to duplicate from my Google contacts. The problem with this is that I would prefer to chose the Facebook name which is usually the full name. Eg, Ben in my contacts, comes up on my feed as Ben, but I have many Ben friends on Facbook, and the feed uses the contact name, not the actual facebook name. I have to rename the the live contact to get the the feed to display the full name. Minor frustration but still.

You mentioned the lack of resolution on the WP compared to Iphone, well this is something that Micrsoft have locked the specs down. It's max resolution is something like 800x480 or somthing. This was something that concerned me coming from A: a SGS with the AmoLED, and also the bigger screen and knowing other's are running HD res.. I read many reviews saying that it was too big of a screen for the res, the reality, It's actually verg good. Not being a fan of LCD, ok blacks suck compared to the amoLED but everything does! The colours vibrant, viewing angles are ok, and the size is really nice, and it actually looks really sharp to me especially looking at pictures. OK it's no Retina siplay but's fine.

But, Microsoft have got a firm grip on what is and isn't allowed, so expect Apple style limitations.

Marketplace, is as expected, limited, but realize it's still a new OS and is growing very fast, though like Android it has a lot of Crap! However it has more apps already than both IOS and Android did at the same period of life. I don't doubt it will grow fast. It also integrates very nicely with XboxLive if that interests you.

Another thing that is limited by Microsoft is no dualcore processors, they say the OS has no need or benefit just higher battery drain, and I totally agree. I like the latest greatest phone and spec and this concerned me, but the phone flies! No Lag, no delay, ocassionally an app may be slow to respond due to waiting for data loading or something, but the actual phone doesn't freeze like Android does. If you press the windows key you can still flip straight to Home and into a new app etc. Also as an Android user Ram usage is unbelievable. My Ram is showing 332MB free from 349MB available! I have not seen it go lower, the os is just so efficient. Unlike Android which is terrible.

So far I love my Wp7, and though it has some niggles, I think it's the best phone I have owned yet. I love the fact I don't have to hack it to make it work it just works!
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  17. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Clarky78 you've pretty much convinced me to buy a Titan. I didn't know that screen resolution was something locked down by Microsoft. Does that rule out any higher Res windows phones in the near future?
  18. clarky78

clarky78 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    They are great phones , no doubt. Only downside I forgot to mention is the fixed storage.. if thats a problem. It has 12Gb and admitedly I have an iPod but I never fill the phones. I had only 8GB on the SGS. Unless you load it with lots of films I guess you might then. Also, you get a free 2 weeks trial with Zune player, think Spotify, and I was hooked!! Downloaded like 20 albums and I stream them over bluetooth in my car, instead of the iPod! Love that you can play them, anywhere. We'll see if I continue to pay after the first month, it's only £8 but if it did it for a few years then stopped I wouldn't own anything afterwards, which bothers me. Oh and obviously it's not lossless or anything so not good over hifi I guess.

Admitedly the Nokia is probably on par in lots of respects and it does have Nokia Drive, the free sat nav if that appeals. Also has an AmoLED screen but as I say this LCD is very good and apart from blacks and viewing angle not being quite as extreme, is just as good. But I like large screens for movies and more importantly web browsing and the big screen delivers.

In the future it quite possible that higher res WP screens will be available, there are lots of high res screens now, the Galaxy Note, Samsung Nexus and some others I forget have HD resolutions screens, and more will follow, so they will have to up it at some point to stay in the game, but this one for now does me, and lets face t, the screen in only 4.7inchs not 47inchs!! Unless you look really close the res at that size is negligable. It's a numbers game, much like Megapixels on cameras!
  19. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    Gonna go with the HTC Titan. Does this take the standard SIM or Micro SIM like the iPhone 4
  20. clarky78

clarky78 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Standard
  21. Jakeway

Jakeway Member

Ratings:
    +25
    That is is a great price for the everyday user. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone at the price.

I have a Lumia 800 which I love. If I didn't care about the storage space or camera I'd go for a 710.
  22. TsaraBomba

TsaraBomba Active Member

Ratings:
    +428
    Went out today and purchased a HTC Titan. After messing around with it for a little while I am very very impressed. Didnt like the fact that pulled all my hotmail contacts over - some folk on there I haven't spoke to in many moons.

Aside from that I believe that I made a very good choice.

Thanks for all the help
  23. clarky78

clarky78 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    You can change which contacts to display or pull down.
  24. Jakeway

Jakeway Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I don't think you can stop MSN contacts if you use the Address book on Hotmail. You can stop it from showing Facebook though.

I just removed people I haven't spoken to in years...
  25. WalterRe

WalterRe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the Lumia 710 only has 8gb storage:suicide:, but if you want to just try the WP phone, this would be the one tho. Personally, I would rather get a WP phone with bigger storage like Lumia 800 or Titan.:rotfl:
  26. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,050
    I've got the Omnia 7 with 8GB, hardly need more space because there aren't many apps on the market unless you store loads of music. On the iphone more space is needed because the majority of games are easily over 100mb, until we got more apps I think 8gb is decent for now.