Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone Golf GPS apps that require no internet connection

Discussion in 'Sport Forum' started by CaptainCook, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Upgraded the wifes iPhone at Xmas and now have a spare 3GS hanging about. Kids as using it for music, but thought I might try uploading a Golf GPS app to see how I get on with using some tech on the course.

It no longer has a 3G data/internet connection, so I need an app that I can download from iTunes beforehand via the home wireless and then use the GPS function to track my progress on the course.

Anyone know of an app that can do this? I've tried a few and can't find anything remotely sensible that doesn't need an active internet connection.

Thanks. CC
  2. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I use Golfshot but the Android version, I honestly don't know if you need an internet connection whilst on the course for yardages etc. I do know that you need the connection to upload your scores to their server but I tend to do that when in the clubhouse and we get a free WiFi connection.

I would assume that most apps need a connection if they show you the course details on screen, unless they have each course built into the app but I think that is highly unlikely. Can you not download a free one to try?
  3. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Through trial and error, I've found two this week that seem to work:

Swing by Swing: Free Golf GPS Range Finder | Swing by Swing

myCaddie Pro: iMakePars - myCaddie

The last one has a course mapper, so if it's not listed, or in my case doesn't show the winter mats correctly, you can map your entire course in about 15 mins.

Turned the Wi-fi off after installing them and they still seemed to still show full functionality. With the tiny bit of battery left (forgot to charge the bloody thing) I went onto the first tee and the yardage was pretty accurate.

I'll give it a blast this weekend and if anyone's interested, I'll post how I got on.
  4. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Why do you care about the winter mats ?
  5. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Ratings:
    +43
    The mats on some holes are "miles" away from the summer tees. Some Par 5's become 4's as the hole is 80-100yds shorter and some Par 3's have a completely different route into the green.

I understand that the GPS is still going to measure from where I actually tee the ball up, but at least I can load the default winter tee positions into the software correctly, rather than it thinking I'm going to be driving from halfway down the fairway!
  6. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Sorry still don't understand. Can't see how it makes any difference, unless you need a satnav to find the green :)

The only thing that matters is the green (so if you use temp greens then they are all useless).

BTW: They are still illegal in comps to use an iPhone on the course (no change in the rules was made in 2012 even though they could of clarified it more)
  7. badkarma

badkarma Member

Ratings:
    +237
    kind of agree but if winter greens are on you can use distances to nearby hazards to gauge distance to the green so still useful.

I use mine regularly :) you can use a gps as long as it gives distances only, not data on other conditions like wind or slopes.
  8. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    You are correct you can use a gps (if the local rule is in place to allow this), but you can not use an iPhone (or similar smartphone) as a GPS, they are considered to be illegal. The R&A ruled that iPhones etc can not be used as DMD's in competitions.

If you using one in competitions then you are breaking the rules and could be DQ'd for doing so.
  9. badkarma

badkarma Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Agree, I hadn't realised they had tweaked the rules recently. Bugger.

Can the local rules be adjusted to over rule Rule 14-3 though or is that it ?
  10. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Strangely the rules haven't changed for a while but with smartphones they have made a more specific description, and to be honest I still think they need to be more specific.

A club can not overrule the rules of golf, so they would not be allowed to allow smartphones.