Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone 4S Not Pushing Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by hybridtheory, Oct 19, 2011.

1. hybridtheory

hybridtheory Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

I have an @me.com email address and transferred over to iCloud. I've set my email to Push and Push every 15 minutes. My email is only received on my iPhone 4S when I manually open mail. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Baz
  2. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have same problem using an iPhone 4 and my me.com account.. Using the same push settings as you..

If you leave the mail app running in the back ground it seems to work but mine get worse and stops as the day goes on.. I end up checking manually by the end if the day.

Looking on the web it seems to be a big problem for a lot of people..
  3. Three6ty

Three6ty Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Yep, I get this to. Been on mobile me for a couple of years and push email has always worked fine. Since moving to ios 5 on my old 4 and now on my 4s, push email never works and I have to open mail and get it manually. Very annoying. Can't find a fix. I'm using the same @me mail addresses as when I was on mobile me.
  4. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

Ive tried deleting my account and setting it up again but its maid no difference. Very annoying.

Baz
  5. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +716
    Working fine here.I use the me.com account to forward my Blueyonder mail to my phone.Have tested it numerous times and as soon as I get it is pushed to my phone.
  6. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

It worked fine for me on MobileMe, only had the issues since transferring over to iCloud.

Baz
  7. Goo5e

Goo5e Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Yep, same for me here to. Only been an issue since tranferring to iCloud and iOS 5. Right pain in the bum.

Saldawop - sounds to me like push is working fine for your blueyonder account and that our issue is with push not working with iCloud, so is a separate issue (iCloud isn't 'pushing' email to blueyonder, just forwarding it. The 'push' part is what happens between blueyonder and your iOS device).

I also tried a restore on my phone (only way I could get personal hotspot working) and this didn't fix the push problem.
  8. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +716
    Just sent a message from my googlemail account (not on phone) to me.com. Almost instantly it arrives on both my iPhone and iPad.
    As for Blueyonder, isn't it forwarded to my me.com(EDIT: well, it is, because I set it up a couple of days ago) account and then when me.com receives it, this is instantly pushed to my iPhone/pad?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

Have u transferred ur MobileMe account to iCloud?

Baz
  10. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +658
    I'm also having problems... Mobile me address converted to iCloud on a 4S...
  11. johnelf

johnelf Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Evening
    Snap mobile me to iCloud using iOS 5 and push mail is as you describe Baz.
    Set to push but more like fetch, when you click on the mail button.
    Occasionally works properly though
    Hoping servers just busy and will sort themselves out

John
  12. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +716
    Sorry ,no I haven't .
  13. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +167
    I'm also having the same problem. It's sort of working at the moment. However it isn't working correctly.

My Gmail address is syncing fine, updating the folders and inbox if I move or delete anything from my laptop I can see the messages disappearing when I have the inbox open on my phone.

However the me.com account sometimes pushes, however if I move or delete an email the phone doesn't do anything until I refresh. I have tried everything. So for the moment I've moved back to Gmail.
  14. paxton

paxton Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Interesting.

I haven't upgraded my iphone4 to iOS5 yet and it's been doing the same thing for a few days now.
    I use gmail and my mail is not showing until I go into the mail app.
  15. ianbuckley

ianbuckley Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Push only works on the following accounts:

MobileMe
    Microsoft Exchange
    Yahoo

All other iOS5 accounts can only Fetch.

See the following articles:

iOS: Supported push mail accounts

iOS: Setting up an email account

I have been able to change my Gmail account to Exchange but not my Aol and Sky accounts, which use IMAP and therefore can only Fetch.

Check your iOS mail accounts:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Advanced

Ensure Push switch is ON and check each Mail account.

Edit: iCloud (@me.com) account will only push when the Mail app is open or in the background, unlike MobileMe, Exchange and Yahoo which will push in all circumstances.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  16. paxton

paxton Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the info there, Ian.

In my case, the iphone4 that has not been updated, my gmail on exchange has been pushing fine up until a few days ago. I have checked the settings as you mentioned and all looks well. I haven't changed anything recently.

Curious, but no massive deal now I know I have to go into the mail app every so often to check.
  17. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I am only using an @me.com account and is set to push in settings.

After asking google and reading different forums, if the app is left running it will push emails to the iPhone\ipad etc, this has been working on mine for the couple of days.
  18. Goo5e

Goo5e Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It definitely isn't working as it did on my 3GS. Emails came through at the same time on both my iPad 1 and 3GS with push under ios 4. Since upgrading to iOS 5 on my iPad and with my new 4S, push just isn't working.

I didn't need to have the mail app in the background on ios 4 on either device for it to work. I can only assume this is either due to an issue with ios 5, or the fact I have transferred from MobileMe to iCloud.

I've checked my settings and they are all set correctly.

Perhaps this is a server side issue with iCloud and will resolve itself. I hope so, as is a pain in the bum having got used to the seamless push functionality of ios 4.
  19. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

I don't think its an iOS 5 issue. My gf also has an iPhone 4S and is still on MobileMe and her mails gets pushed, with or without the mail app running in the background. Deffo seems to be an iCloud thing. I hope it does get sorted.

Baz
  20. AllThatDaz

AllThatDaz Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I've got a Yahoo email account and depsite having it set to 'push' I never get anything sent through, I am always having to manually refresh to download any emails.

Am I missing something?
  21. bransoj

bransoj Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    I used to have no end of problems with Yahoo just stopping pushing and had to turn Push off and on again to get it going again.

Ended up ditching Yahoo in the end and going for GMail which was far more stable in terms of Push.
  22. AllThatDaz

AllThatDaz Member

Ratings:
    +179
    never had a problem with Yahoo/Push on my 3GS?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  23. paxton

paxton Member

Ratings:
    +18
    The mystery continues ....

I have now upgraded my ipad2 with iOS5 and the push is working as it was before upgrade. Gmail and google sync etc.

My iphone4, which I am still yet to upgrade, is still not pushing at all - which it was until last week.
  24. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

R ppl still having the problem of mail being pushed? I only seem to get my mail now, if I leave the mail app running in the background.

Baz
  25. ianbuckley

ianbuckley Member

Ratings:
    +61
    See post #15. This is how it is supposed to work. @me(iCloud) is not a true push, unlike MobileMe, and will only work when the mail app is open.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  26. hybridtheory

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

@me.com is MobileMe is it not?

Baz
  27. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Mine is still a bit hit and miss. It seems to work as I said if you leave the app open.

Early morning seems fine its later in the day almost when the US would start to wake up... And the servers might be taking a hammering!!

Looking around the web this problem is on the official apple forums, so hopefully they are looking at it.

I thought @me.com was what mobile me became? In the settings the default is push with fetch as a backup, so would guess it would work like normal push accounts?
  28. aldo82

aldo82 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    from what I've seen on the web I think there are teething troubles with push email via iCloud. I don't use it, instead using gmail set up as an exchange account. Have to admit that it feels a little more unreliable since iOS5 on my iphone 4 so maybe the software is partly to blame too?

I find that my reminders don't always fully sync between my ipad and iphone which I put down to iCloud problems being so new n all
  29. vala

vala Member

Ratings:
    +6
    this might sound a bit like sucking eggs and sorry if it has indeed been done but I have not read it has within this thread from the OP.

You mention you turned push on then set it for every 15 minutes. The 15 mins bit (as well as the 30 mins, hourly and manually) are to be selected when fetch is selected.
    after switching on push (at the top of the 'fetch new data' screen scroll further down to advanced. in there ensure that the e-mail service you are using (from what i've read its iCloud) and ensure there that you have selected the schedule as push as well.

My e-mail service is with the iCloud as well and mine's been working spot on every since I set it up (also on iOS5). Even tested it against Mail on my Mac and they come through on both the Mac and phone at the same time so its definitely being pushed over.

Hope if you haven't tried this then this solves the problem.
  30. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Mine is set to push in the adv area as well.

It's working at the mo, the second the app is closed down by double clicking the home button push stops and mail will only arrive when the app is next opened.