Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad 3 [Rumour Thread]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rock Da Bass, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNUK10

SNUK10 New Member

Ratings:
    +23
    1tb? Idiot.

32gb, 64gb and 128gb is a logical reasonable guess. It would continue the evolution seen in the past.

Why is that a surprise to you?

Even if 1tb was available today, Apple would not release it without doing the 32gb, 64gb and 128gb step first to ensure they maximise revenue.

If memory stays at 16, 32 and 64gb then Apple are providing more opportunity for competitors to overtake them.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. fat jez

fat jez Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    I'm guessing it's based on track record. Apple dropped the 8GB model in the iPhone range when they added the 32GB model. Mind you, they then added the 64GB model to the iPhone 4S range and kept the 16GB and 32GB models.
  3. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    i'm guessing you are probably right :)
  4. Herbiefish

Herbiefish Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Why is that a surprise to me? Because you sound like a **** and it is only your bloody guess.
  5. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,126
    But it's a reasonable guess seeing as they just upped the solid state memory in the iPhone and the iPad has always had a higher maximum storage than the iPhone. 1TB in solid state memory at this time is ridiculous and you know it, so you were just posting to be arsey. Are people not aloud to speculate? You're perfectly entitled to speculate 1TB but I'll go with SNUK's guess over yours.

I'm certainly hoping for a 128Gb model, although with the (possible) high res screen, doubling the solid state memory may make the components too expensive to maintian the current pricing. I have been reading of a price hike today though, something like £50 per model but that may be the extra price of the screen being passed on to us.

I do seem to remember the pictures of the board that show the A5X as the main processor also showed they're using two solid state storage chips, so if they go with 128Gb it'll be two 64s rather than one of the (at the moment) expensive 128Gb chips. I thought that Apple had invested heavily in a company that makes the storage chips, so hopefully they're getting the 64 chips cheaply enough to make it feasable to use two and not have to raise the price too much (if at all).
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Did nobody but me notice the ( unwarranted) sarcasm?
  7. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,126
    Just you. Without a smilie of some sort at the end of the post it just looks like he's having a go at the guy for having a guess, even though at the start of the original post it clearly says 'my guess...'
  8. Spoonhead

Spoonhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +266
  9. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,126
    Yeah, it's going to depend on the price of the new screen. If the panel yield is as low as has been mentioned then the price difference between the old screen and new one could be significant. They should get cheaper with time, as the yield increases, but by passing on the cost to us in the first instance, when the cost does go down they'll be quids in.
  10. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Oh, right. Glad you've cleared that up for me.
  11. TwoJs

TwoJs Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    I'm hoping not, as that means iPad 2's will not drop down in price as much, If the 3 turns out to not be a massive step up then I was plumping for a 2 at the £299 mark or cheaper through the classifieds !! ;)
  12. Herbiefish

Herbiefish Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    But it is the iPad 3 rumour thread, not guess thread. I was merely pointing out that anyone can hazard a guess at what to expect. I asked him if his guess was in relation to something he had read and the **** calls me an idiot. Regardless if it makes sense to certain people for apple to make the storage changes, if the guy was saying that he would like to see these specific spec changes then fine, but I am watching this thread for links and posts to viable rumours, not guesses :) any better?
  13. Herbiefish

Herbiefish Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Oh I hope not as I would have bought a 2 months ago. I could handle a small price hike but £400 was my limit as it would only be used for when I travel so could not warrant spending too much more. Just have to wait and see now
  14. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC Active Member

Ratings:
    +412
  15. Herbiefish

Herbiefish Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Woohoo! Do they follow a standard time for how long they take to hit the uk shelves from launch date of a new pad or phone?
  16. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC Active Member

Ratings:
    +412
    On sale in the US 9 days after announcement last time with the UK waiting 23 days. Hopefully a global or Western Europe and US release in the first wave this time - sod being patient. :)
  17. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    Rumours are that they are shipping to stores already, so might be a faster turnaround this time?
  18. peebly

peebly Member

Ratings:
    +69
    The photo with the announcement looks interesting, the margin looks bigger.

Unless that's a small thumb, seems bigger compared to iPad 1.
  19. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I'm working nights that evening so I know what I'll be doing once I get to work at 8pm - looking at Engadgets feed for the event and drooling. :D
  20. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I think it's just the angle. We've seen a load of parts for this one and barring the pixel density and camera cut-out, it was the same.
  21. asimm

asimm Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Looks like this is a big announcement for Apple. An iPad 3 with better resolution screen was already a big deal but it looks like they are using it to bring iTunes content to 1080 and possibly release a new Apple TV.
  22. markmc2k9

markmc2k9 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Invitation photo looks very interesting indeed. First time Apple has ever put a photo of their new product on their invitation? Of course if indeed it is the actual iPad3
  23. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    I always prefer the add on stuff than the main device at their events. It's this stuff that we are going to actually consume using the new kit so I find it more appealing tbh.

An update to iTunes encoding and their Match product, 1080p content and whatever they have planned for the ATV3...
  24. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I'm working in NYC from Sunday March 11th and coming back on the following Sunday (18th).

I sure hope I can get one while I'm out there...

[​IMG]
  25. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,626
    So pleased that the amount of my wife's bonus is announced the same day, I'm sure she won't mind me spending some of it on the iPad 3 :D

And is it in landscape, or are they finally getting rid of the home button?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  26. lampard1983

lampard1983 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Apple is clearly stressing the touch aspect, an idea that would easily be portrayed by doing away with physical buttons??
  27. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    MacRumors already got their hands on the glass front for the iPad 3 and it looked identical to the other two:
    iPad 3 Front Glass Reveals No Significant Changes: Round Home Button, Camera and Sensor Holes - Mac Rumors

IMO they just airbrushed it out (to give the impression of landscape mode) because it would sit where they wanted to put the text. The hand/reflection of fingers has been imported into the image as you can tell it was touching a lightbox. I wouldn't read too much into it, other than the fact the screen is clearly higher res:

[​IMG]

The iPad 2 on the right also shows you why the probably brushed out the home button.
  28. fat jez

fat jez Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    I think it's probably in landscape. I'm sure Apple are not above mind games and sit around laughing over all the wild guesses people make online!
  29. Blotch

Blotch Member

Ratings:
    +61
  30. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    If they're laughing at anything, it's people's ability to read way too much into what's obviously a composite image.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.