1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad 3 [Rumour Thread]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rock Da Bass, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoJs

TwoJs Active Member

Ratings:
    +671
    Same here if the notice in screen res is not massive I'll pick up an iPad 2, as the price will drop, out of interest do you think we would be talking a big price drop say 100 quid ?
  2. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I think that would be the case. Sure I read that the iPad 1 dropped by £100 when the 2 came out?

Hope not - I only bought the 2 in January so may well be selling it to get the 3.
  3. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    +1

that is the only thing i found a bit of a disappointment with #2
  4. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    Yes I agree. It's all about the screen resolution and technology used for me too.

It's fair to say that screen consistency was a pain point last year with bleed and discolouration in some devices. I would love to see a doubled resolution, OLED based display with a decent filter, akin to the CBD tech found on Nokia's mobiles, introduced with iPad 3. I can't help feeling this is a long shot at this stage though.
  5. dr no

dr no Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    currently 1024x768
    so basically double resolution rumoured
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,001
  7. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Let's hope these start of March rumours are true, I've wanted an iPad for ages, but refused to get one until it had a Retina (or near as dammit) display. Part of me also hopes they will have used that new Sharp display tech as I find the black levels on the iOS devices a bit poor (not enough to bother me, but, you know), but that's obviously the nature of the LED bars used so far.

I have an old Dell laptop which is 1920x1200 @ 13", so the rumoured res @ 9.7" is going to be super sharp, I'd imagine.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    It's also worth noting there is concrete code/icons hidden away in Lion for double the current resolution of the displays. 4K res 27" iMac? Yes please.
  10. Soundburst

Soundburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +893
    Yeah Retina on the tablet - as nice as that will be - is pointless compared to sticking it in a Mac.

Having some iPad apps look a bit sharper. . . vs a 13inch MacBook Pro with so much resolution allowing you to have Pro Tools editing and mixing windows open. . .or have a plug in open beside the edit window. Could be amazing.
  11. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Still, anyone with an iPhone 4/4S will know that the screen just looks plain nicer compared to the iPad 2 because of the size/res combo. Not seeing pixels is a minor victory that helps make the screen a transparent window into the software (how's that for OTT?!).

The DPI of the 2k res on a 9.7" iPad isn't quite as high as the the DPI for the res of the Retina display on the phones, however people generally view the screen of a phone at a closer distance from their face than they do a tablet, just as people generally view a monitor from a further distance than a tablet, and a TV a further distance than a monitor.

Thus, it should be perfect for giving a very crisp image with no visible pixels when placed on the table, your lap and so on, and I'd argue a lot of people haven't bought iPad 2's because they wanted a higher res screen and have been waiting impatiently for this one.
  12. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Yeah, after being spoilt by the 4(S) retina display I kind of notice the the flaws on the iPad 2 display (it's still a great screen mind you).

So basically it's retina standard displays for everything from now on hopefully....
  13. dr no

dr no Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    Yep, the iPhone 4 retina display has spoilt us.
    Retina on iPad and others with bigger displays might be pushing it too far at this current time.
    We'll settle for double resolution or higher for now
  14. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Retina type resolution on a new iPad is paving the way for 1080p support on the iTunes store.

Which leads to a new TV and possibly a new ATV unit too. Everything leads into something else remember!

It's all balanced so that we regularly upgrade multiple devices. Don't get me wrong, I love updating my kit, but nothing is by accident in the Apple Ecosystem?
  15. bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Only bought my iPad 2 about a month ago, however I just know if a 3 comes out, it's gonna have to be traded in for it. :thumbsup:
  16. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I doubt we'll see a quad core A6 chip in the iPad3. My guess is it will have an improved display and cameras and that's it, all other hardware will be identical to the iPad 2.
  17. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    got mine on pad 2 launch day and just got rid via ebay in preparation for the new model :)
  18. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
  19. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Retina is just a buzzword. The 4 was double the resolution of the previous iPhones, and the iPad 3's res will be double that of the first twos, by design more than anything as it made scaling easy and isn't a headache for devs having apps run on different models. The 4k stuff in Lion is double that of the current 27"s 1440p.

That article... there's no way the iPad 3 will have a 4S quality camera. It has to be bigger/better if the res is higher as to look decent on the screen, but it's basically a webcam camera like the ones on the Macs, so I wouldn't expect miracles.
  20. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,001
  21. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    4G LTE will be included for us too...but sadly useless!
  22. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

Ratings:
    +98
    'Confirms' lol. Speculates more like.
  23. wafc

wafc Member

Ratings:
    +38
    What model did you have and what did you get for it? I've just put my 32GB Wifi on eBay to fund the iPad 3!

I just hope the iPad 3 doesn't have the bleed issue and then i'll be happy!
  24. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    16gb wifi in white. got £329 for it that was with free p&p which cost me £8. more than happy with that after a years use :)
  25. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Can we stick to the thread topic and take any discussion of prices for/selling of the ipad to another thread please.

Curly
  26. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,440
    Wow strict in here. Think I'll leave. Still very happy with my year old iPad. Don't fancy splashing another £500 quid on a portable web browser. (thats all i use my ipad for!) Although I have just put aside £300 for a ps vita.

So gadget geek in me is still strong!
  27. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    Apple will need to make the iPad 3 visually different so peeps know you've dropped coin to be at the cutting edge. The iPhone 4S was a lookey-likee for the 4, so upgraders never got any kudos. I'd like an iPad 3 with the case anodised in British Racing Green. Failing that, lift the Nokia Xpress-On cover concept.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  28. gkpm

gkpm Member

Ratings:
    +358
  29. dr no

dr no Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    Only Apple can confirm and others can speculate but it sure looks like a dead cert.
  30. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,266
    Not for me they won't, it can look exactly the same and I'll buy it as long as it has a higher resolution screen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.