Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad 3 [Rumour Thread]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rock Da Bass, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    Hi

I don't currently have an iPad (just an iPhone 4S ATM) but find myself using it more and more for various functions/apps etc and feel I would like an iPad now.

I was tempted to nip out and buy an iPad 2 but there seems to be growing rumours of the iPad 3 getting announced in January with the Ipad 2 becoming a cheaper model to compete with Kindle Fire and other tablets.

This is CNet but there's lots of other sites saying similar things

I know it's all speculation til Apple come out with something.

What do you guys thinks? I don't want to buy an iPad 2 just to have the 3 announced a few weeks later - I'll kick myseld lol.

Thanks
  2. stetash

stetash Member

Ratings:
    +156
    I'm in a similar position, I'm itching to get an Ipad but the next model is almost certain to be out within 3 months going on past releases and current speculation.

I suppose it all depends on how much you want it now ? If you keep it in good condition then you could sell it on here for a small loss when the new one arrives as they hold their value well.

I have decided to wait as I cant shake the feeling that the new one is just around the corner and I dont want to take the "hit" buying an Ipad 2 now.
  3. Rock Da Bass

Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah, I could have got an iPad 2 now, knowing the 3 was probably coming in March/April, it's just the growing speculation of a January date that's on my mind now.
  4. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    No chance of a January release that's for sure!
  5. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I doubt it will be January. I speculate more like March time.
  6. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +678
    As far as I know they offered some incentive for the people that bought the ipad 1 a few weeks before the launch of the ipad 2, i think it was a small discount or upgrade or something, so if in the unlikely event that it is January, you wont be all out.
  7. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    Pretty sure it will be march. Well worth holding on though, that's only a few weeks away now! Retina display on iPad = :thumbsup: hold onto your cash for 2 more months!
  8. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    Few Weeks=16? Not quite!
  9. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    From now until end of march is only 13 weeks. That's not a long time to wait for a product that we have been waiting a year for. I think it will be here within 12 weeks easily, so personally I'd either hold on our probably buy a used iPad 1 to tide me over until I can upgrade.
  10. Rock Da Bass

Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah, whatever the exact amount of weeks it's probably as well to wait now. Hopefully there might be some news this month though.

I think the biggest danger at the moment might be buying a 2 then they drastically reduce the price into Kindle Fire territory. That'd be a bit annoying....
  11. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    never seen that happen with any of the previous announcements, so I can't see it happening now.
  12. Rock Da Bass

Ratings:
    +286
    You're probably right. The "cheap" 8 gig iPhone 4 amongst the new iPhone 4S models back up what you're saying. At £430, it's the bit of Apple kit I'd say isn't priced correctly.

I'm not sure either way TBH. Deffo want an iPad it's just a kind of funny/uncertain time for buying one for me.
  13. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    If your certain of buying an ipad3 then buy a first gen off here and then resell... You won't lose much.

Just picked up another ipad2 myself off here, mainly because there is very little chance of me purchasing brand new ;)
  14. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    There are rumours that the iPad 2 will remain available at a cut price when the new model is released, but it might only remain as a 16gb model. Also, it would only drop down to about £300 I'd say, which is the cost of a used one now. So you could buy a used iPad 2 now, or better still a used iPad 1 (since they are very good value now) and then upgrade to the 3 if you feel the need. If you're the patient type (I'm not!) then just hang onto your cash and get a brand new iPad 3 on release day!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Original iPad dropped £100 when the 2 was announced, expect same to happen this time.
  16. stepp

stepp Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Id wait till the ipad 4 guys, not worth getting the ipad 3 when they 4 will be out soon after.
  17. Rock Da Bass

Ratings:
    +286
    Ha ha I see what you did there. Excellent
  18. Soundburst

Soundburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +959
    Get an iPad. . .sell it on when the new one comes out. . .buy the new one for an extra hundred quid or so.
  19. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +678
    You could buy one now and hand it down to someone else in your family, I have learnt that having an apple-family is better because you can facetime/skype each other, share apps and music, etc. I currently have an ipad 2 (which due to accidental damage will go in the bin but i will get a new one for £199) so there's no harm in me buying the next one.
  20. Rock Da Bass

Ratings:
    +286
    I get the general point about if you wait for the newer model, you'll always be waiting (thankyou stepp ;)) but it's just that there might be an announcement this month so it seems daft jumping in and getting an iPad 2 right now when it might be superseded in about 3 weeks. Pure speculation I know, but I might as well wait and see what happens.

Incidentally, I can get a mint iPad 1 16 gig wi-fi for £150 which might seem a no-brainer to some so I might just buy that to tide me over :)
  21. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    We are still using our 64GB 1st Gen and it's still well worth the spend. Only noticed the difference when held next to my Dad's new 2bd Gen at Christmas.

For £150 I would go for it personally. You will still get that amount for it when the 3 is released in 16+ weeks... ;-)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. muzzi

muzzi Member

Ratings:
    +93
    £150 = Bargain

The only problem is that it may seem a little slow after using a 4s. But it's a £150!
  23. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    My iPad 1st Gen seemed slow next to my Dads 2nd Gen but strangely I don't feel the delay after my 4S. Perhaps it's down to associating different devices ability. Weird how you adjust, but proof the 1st Gen is still worth a purchase!
  24. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +846
    IPad 3 Said to Have High-Def Screen, LTE - Bloomberg

I've almost convinced myself to buy an Ipad now. Pity I won't have one for my 3 week holiday starting Monday but I have to get one for my 12 week stint at the end of Feb.

Kind of hoping the 3 will be announced within a week or 2 which, i guess (think we've seen it already) means some special deals to be had on 2's in the forums in the coming weeks:devil:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. bbasra

bbasra Member

Ratings:
    +27
  26. forthay

forthay Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I hope so too but I might also be swayed to keep my HP Touchpad if ICS gets released for it.
  27. Didds

Didds Member

Ratings:
    +59
  28. markmc2k9

markmc2k9 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    If it is Ipad 2S then I will officially lose interest in Apple. They really need to start innovating again.
  29. bbasra

bbasra Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Maybe they can't now that Steve Jobs is dead.
  30. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,962
    Merged threads. Lets keep all the rumours in one place.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.