Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconnect for bright sound sytem!

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by William Shin, Jun 26, 2003.

1. William Shin

William Shin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since I changed Audio Analogue Puccini SE with MF A3 integrated the sound has changed noticably bright.

I am using the same Qunex 4S, which was perfectly fine for AAP as AAP has a very smooth, fluid sound in treble and is a right partner with some cables for more transparant and dynamic sound.

But it doesn't work with MF A3. Bass is much better and tighter but too bright in treble particulary for vocal sound. I mainly listen to classical and jazz music.

Any recommendation on inteconnects can do a job to make it sound a bit less bright and more fluid?

Budget is around 100.

Cheers,
  2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,943
    Registered specially to reply to this! I would be inclined to suggest the Audio Note Litz types (I think there is one that comes in at about £75 plus VAT). I've got an ANvx which really keeps everything fluid. My brother keeps on waxing lyrical about his Van Den Hul leads so I guess he may be onto something as well. Hope you tame that A3- they really can sing some.
  3. dts_boy

dts_boy Member

Ratings:
    +103
    i would say try anything from van den hul - they tend to be quite smooth sounding. from personal experience, Nordost, Chord and Audioquest all seemed to have a "brighter" sound in comparison - although i obviously didn't listen to the entire range!
  4. NicolasB

NicolasB Active Member

Ratings:
    +574
    Without wishing to get into yet another cable fight, I think you may be barking up the wrong tree if you expect any change to your interconnects to make a significant difference to this problem. If your components sound bright, then they sound bright. Either you need different components, or you need to invest in a dedicated equalisation device. I don't believe any sane cable manufacturer would deliberately make an interconnect that attenuates treble, and expecting a cable to act as a (passive) low-pass filter is really not the way to solve problems like this.
  5. William Shin

William Shin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Tons of fun,

Where can I get some more info about Audio Note Ltz cables?

hi, dts boy,

I heard Chord cabes have a quite bright sound.
    Actually a couple of cables top on my list were Van Den Hul D102 and Kimber PBJ. But a number of people say don't use these cable for bright sound system or it will make sound worse. now I am not sure about VDH.

Regarding Audioquest I used Audioquest Topaz before Qunex 4S but it sounded very smooth and far less bright though sometimes a bit laid back. in Comparison to Topaz 4S has much forward and clear sound.

hi, Nicolas,

I didn't believe cables change sound quality until I heard the difference between Topaz and 4S. I believe MF A3 has more potiential to sound much sweeter and more fluid. It might be because of componants as you said but still I believe sound can be tamed by changing cables to a certain extent.

Any more suggestion, pleeeeease???
  6. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The best value cables I have ever heard are from Lat international

http://www.audusa.com/main.htm (select Lat from the left or try the ex-demo link for some bargains)

Beat VDH everytime in my experience
  7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,943
    The Audio Note website gives their entire range of wire, speaker cable and interconnects- www.audionote.co.uk. It goes from the reasonably sensible to the unbelievably costly. Generally, they'll either hook you up with a dealer or you can buy direct. If you've got the time, try listening to their units- I think they divide opinion more than Naim equipment- for the record I'm a convert of their CD players and DAC's but not quite so sure on the amps.
    Cheers; Ed
  8. Branxx

Branxx Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder if this argument would work in opposite direction, i.e. can one make dull sounding system into a bright one by investing in expensive interconnects?

I would think that MF A3 sounds brighter because is a more neutral amplifier. This would also suggest that your current cables are acoustically neutral and do not effect the audio information that they carry. However, you prefer the (colored) sound of Audio Analogue Puccini SE and need to consequently distort the signal to achieve the desired effect.

I agree with NicolasB, maybe an equalizer would be a more fitting solution. Then, at least you will be in full control and know exactly which frequencies are disagreeable and need to be tones down.
  9. William Shin

William Shin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply, guys,

Branxx, a clever hit! You are exactly right. I like coloured sound unlike most people. I think my cable and amp are both neutral and transparent. It reveals too much, sometimes harsh edge.

The reason I changed the amp was because of enhancement of tight bass. I still prefer AAP's sweet, valve-like silky sound. It doesn't mean I don't like MF A3 sound, actually I do quite a lot.

The only problem is sometimes high notch sound is irritating my ear and reduce my enjoyment of music.

As I mentioned early Audioquest Topaz will definately reduce harsh edge and also sacrifice other areas as well.

I can live with my current system but wonder...... if any cable could do a job I want (a little bit make it softer and smoother in treble) without sacrifying any other areas.

Am I demanding too much?

By the way I might be upgrading my cdp to MF A3 or 3.2 later this year.

Hi, common,

Any particular model do I look at?
    e.g. IC50, 80 or 100MKII

And particulary in which area do you think this cable beat VDH?

Hi, Tons of fun,

The same question! Any particular model I need to consider?

Has anyone used Pure Silver Sound cable quartet? They got rave reviews.
    I am still tempted to buy VDH D102 or Kimber PBJ. Any comments from owners of these cables?

Cheers,
  10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,943
    Ultimately if you're seeking to induce a bit of warmth, the unfortunately named LEXUS could well do the trick as the copper cables are "warmer" than the silver types (as well as quite a bit cheaper!). We've got a PBJ down in our dem room and it seems a fine cable although I think that it sets out to be pretty neutral. There is always the option of asking the manufacturer- MF don't seem to be doing cables at the moment so they may well be using another companies products for testing/shows etc.
  11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Just look for a cable with high C?
  12. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    How many amps did you demo? Could you not have saved this £100 and got an amp with good bass drive and a sweeter treble. Have you listened to any valve, solid state hybrid amps?
  13. William Shin

William Shin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Avanzato,

I heard the DIY valve amp of the friend of mine once(it took two months for him to build it himself). I quite liked its sound. It's very musical also powerful as well( he's using Castle Harward S2 speakers). But the valve amp is getting too hot, particularly when you listen to it in summer. He's using an external fan to cool it down. Too much hassle!

I am getting used to MF sounds now.:rolleyes: Maybe manage without changing a cable for a while. Intead, with that money I ordered RA mains cables. Better investment!:D
  14. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Oh. I'm getting a secondhand valve amp in the next few days, hadn't thought I might need to cool it. :(

If you can find a dealer near you who has one, get a listen to the Tom Evans 'Soul' valve amp. WOW :D

Have you looked in the DIY forum, there's a lot of info on mains cables and some interconnects.
  15. Dean

Dean Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Straight Wire Chorus (£40), high capacitance gives it a smoother treble than other cables. I'm happy with them.