Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

indoor aerial

Discussion in 'YouView Forum' started by peter n, Mar 3, 2013.

1. peter n

peter n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a digital aerial on my roof, but my television in the kitchen has freeview built in, is there an aerial or other device i can plug into my tv in the kitchen which will pick up the signal from the roof aerial.:
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,087
    The only way to get the RF signal from your roof top TV aerial to the kitchen TV would be to run a coax cable between them. The roof top aerial does not transmit anything so another aerial would have nothing to receive from it.
    However if you have a strong enough signal in your area you may get away with a set top aerial in the kitchen, but this will pick up the signal from your local transmitter, not the roof aerial. However indoor aerials are very hit or miss so may not work for you.

I use one of these aerials in my kitchen and get good reception with it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TELECAM-TCE...3ZIQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1362323660&sr=8-9

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Danbottomburp

Danbottomburp Member

Ratings:
    +95
  4. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Which is pretty meaningless because you don't live where the OP does.

To the OP, there is NO SUCH THING as a digital aerial. The best way to run your kitchen TV is with a feed via a splitter from your roof aerial.
  5. Danbottomburp

Danbottomburp Member

Ratings:
    +95
    so funny that the post above from a MODERATOR was completely ignored and instead you choose to attack mine instead .

i was merely saying that there are indeed aerials that will let you pick up all the channels available . if your in a strong signal area .without the need for a roof top aerial .
  6. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +126
    The post above yours showed one of the best set top aerials available.
    The aerial you showed was completely unsuitable. Anywhere where that works a poundshop aerial will also work.

An amplified set top aerial is a complete waste of money and electricity, as an amplifier is to overcome the loss in a long aerial lead in a weak signal area. Using it on a set top aerial just amplifies all the noise, so does not improve the signal to noise ratio. 38dB is way over the top for any amplifier as well giving a danger of overloading. Do you know what polarity that aerial is and can you change it if it is incorrect? Why does it cover 47 to 862MHz. Nowhere in the world is DVB-T used at 47MHz or anywhere in band 1. Anyway to work efficiently at that frequency it would need to be 1.6 metres high (1/4 wavelength) which it clearly is not.

You bought a heap of crap which happens to work because you are in a strong signal area, but it is not something to recommend.
  7. Danbottomburp

Danbottomburp Member

Ratings:
    +95
    works absolutely perfectly for me .
    and from the reviews 20 other people .
    guess we are all wrong and you are correct .
    on who`s authority are you going when you say what the mod recommended is one of the best around .
    and you do know there is a small act of law preventing any company from selling a dangerous item ?
    this is a forum , i was giving a opinion , i guess it wasn't up to your high standards but i don't need to worry about that because what are you again ? ?
    yeah that's right .

p.s - tried two different pound shop aerials and they didn't get me a single channel . but then you already knew that before you made such a fantasy fueled reply
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +126
    There were also 7 reviews saying it didn't work. The fact of the matter is it will work in a strong signal area, but the idea of a 38dB amplifier is stupid.

If you look through posts on indoor aerials on these and other forums the Telecam indoor aerial is consistently recommended as the best around.

Why did you bring dangerous items into the discussion? No one has said anything about it being a dangerous item.

How was I to know you tried 2 poundshop aerials? You stated categorically that I knew this fact. Well you are wrong, I don't what you have tried, where you live, or anything about you at all.

Time to let this rest I think.
  9. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,087
    Can we please keep these discussions calm & friendly ;)

It is true to say that just because any aerial works for one person it may not work for another. Especially with a set top aerial it may not even work for a next door neighbour - they can be that hit or miss.
    The type I use is generally considered to be about the best which is down to the Log Periodic design which is good for rejecting interference. The flat panel aerials are designed more for their looks than their absolute performance, but if it works for you then why worry. Since the transmitter power increases post DSO there is a far better chance of getting away with an indoor aerial, hey I even used my old CRT TV's loop aerial for Freeview reception a few months back without too many problems - and the flat panel aerials should out perform that by a fair margin :p

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    I agree with you, One for All aerials are either designed to just look good or simply grossly overpriced for the job they do. The company confuses people with the idea that an amplifier will actual achieve anything on an indoor aerial.

Come to that, the one you recommend does seem to follow my rule of thumb that the words "HD" and "Digital" add £5 each to the price of an aerial. Their earlier log periodic without the plastic casing over the "fins" I believe had even better performance at lower cost.

Indoor aerials can be used in a wider number of locations now the power of transmitters has been ramped up after DSO. However to "location, location, location" we also should add "tuner sensitivity". Again a very broad rule of thumb is that separate boxes tend to be more sensitive than built in tuners.

All you can really do is advise people to see how far they are from the nearest transmitter and see if anyone else in their immediate area can use an indoor aerial - lack of ginormous aerials on poles sticking far above the roofline combined with no satellite dishes is a good indicator. Even then the variables of room location, building structure and materials and tuner sensitivity mean the only proper advice is "try one and see" - and do not buy from Argos who exclude these items from their returns policy; always buy on line so you can return under the Distance Selling regulations if it does not work.