Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In car DAB (VW): it works!

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by LookUp, May 11, 2009.

1. LookUp

LookUp Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When I recently ordered my new car (VW Passat) I thought I'd give in-car DAB a go. It wasn't a cheap option (company car though :D) and almost everyone I spoke to said "Don't do it, there's no reception and in-car is rubbish", but I ignored them.

Well, I ordered it and surprise surprise, when playing with it all I could get on the (touch)screen was "no ensemble" and no stations. :(

So, I broke the habit of a lifetime and... read the manual! A few minutes later the system was scanning and finding a load of stations. Not bad for pretty rural East Anglia. This morning on the drive in I had Radio 5 clear and crisp for the first time ever. Excellent :smashin:

So, just for those who search the forums for info about in-car DAB, the VW system works well and I'm dead chuffed.
  2. Composite

Composite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DAB option in my 3 series BMW and it works a treat. It's worth the money for 5 Live alone.
  3. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,735
    I've had it for about three years now and has been very good.
  4. Heed

Heed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is coverage like as a rule? Is it just the BBC stations that are available most places? I want to listen to XFM in the car but it's not available on FM where I live.
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,632
    AFAIK, the BBC don't have full UK coverage but they are intoducing more & more transmitters. I was surprised when I bought my mother a DAB radio back in 2002 that there was no BBC coverage where she lives (Norfolk/Suffolk border).

There is only one commercial national broadcaster (Digital One) with a very limited output (6 stations). Plans for a second to be launched by Channel 4 have died a death due to lack of advertising revenue. There's unlikely to be any change in that any time soon.

XFM are supposed to have a postcode checker for DAB here but it's broken. Guess you'll have to contact them directly.

I got DAB in the car in 2003. Ignoring Pioneer's poor implementation & the broadcasters low bit rates, it worked well around East Anglia. However the number of stations continues to decline. Even the Birdsong has gone offline as of the end of May!

Have a look here for more info.
  6. Heed

Heed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Crocodile. Looks like I'm sticking with FM for now then :thumbsdow
  7. LookUp

LookUp Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So far I've had good BBC and Digital One coverage all over East Anglia. Birdsong is still live as well :)
  8. Tfish

Tfish Member

Ratings:
    +7
    how can digital recption be bad in a car? lol some people
  9. mightynimrod

mightynimrod Member

Ratings:
    +122
    I'd want tit for Talksport......my damn focus can't pick it up at all :mad:

Hey-ho.....new car in Feb 10 :thumbsup:
  10. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Have you considered the Pure Highway?
  11. mightynimrod

mightynimrod Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Nah, not worth it with only having 6-7 months left with the car.

I'll deffo get it as an option though on my next one.
  12. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    That is why digital car radio is so popular. Wait, no. It isn't! I wonder why that could be?