Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improve sound quality on LCD flatscreen TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wineboy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. wineboy

wineboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 32" flatscreen, due to my wife's "hard of hearing" problems I would like to improve the sound quality without going down the Home Theatre route.
    I already have a Philips hardrive DVD player, but searching the manual reveals nothing about routing speakers through it.
    Can anyone suggest a simple speaker adition that can be plugged from TV, there are new sound boxes available in the four to five hundred pound range, would like to get away with £150 or less, also will I need any form of external amp or driver.
    Wineboy
  2. madhouse

madhouse Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Hiya,

my father-in-law started out with a smaller lcd and too wasn't impressed with the sound. He just added a pair of amplified computer speakers, connecting them to the headphone output of the TV. That did the trick

You might want to take a look at a 2.1 set with 2 speakers and a small subwoofer. If you just go onto Amazon and type in 2.1 - should give you a good idea.

Simon
  3. NicolasB

NicolasB Active Member

Ratings:
    +574
    If I were you I would look into buying a Dolby Headphone rig - something like the Philips SBCHD1500, or the equivalent from Pioneer (the model number escapes me). This will give you much clearer sound, and also a good semblance of surround sound with almost no additional clutter in the room. (The headphones are cordless). You will, of course, need to check that it goes loud enough for your wife.
  4. wineboy

wineboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both of the suggestions, each of which are practical ones, the idea of the 2.1 speakers appeals as I can then share in the benefit of the improved sound quality, have looked on Amazon as suggested and the prices are v. reasonable.
    I've tried to hook up my existing PC speakers, but jack plug not same, just hope new speakers will come with a compatable plug or I can track down an adaptor.
    Wineboy