1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ikea Besta/Framsta system - running cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Vicarious_Eyes, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi folks,

I'm building a Besta/Framsta TV unit from Ikea consisting of a Besta base unit (120x38) and Framsta wall frame and panels, but I've come across a problem. The unit in question is as below:

IKEA | TV solutions for flatscreen TVs larger than 37" | BESTÅ/FRAMSTÅ/INREDA storage system | BESTÅ/ FRAMSTÅ | Storage combination

The back panel is attached to the wall and therfore flush mounted. My problem is running cables from the TV to the sources and mains.

They won't fit in the sides of the unit and the only way I can see to run them is by drilling holes in the aluminium frame and then the top of the Besta unit. Has anyone does this and can confirm it is safe to do this?

I have tried Ikea, nobody in the dept knows the answer and I can't get in touch with anyone in the assembly service! Useless.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  2. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Where're the TV and sources going relative to the unit?

Chris
  3. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    My unit is slightly different from that one in the picture, the TV mounts in the middle of the back panel (rather than those shelves) using the bespoke Framsta mounting brackets and the cables need to run into the Besta unit at the bottom, where I will install drawers.
  4. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Ok - I've just looked at the ikea site and it sort of makes sense.

Personally, I'd chase a channel behind where the unit will sit and run the cables through said channel.

You likely have to drill quite large holes in the frame, which apart from weakening it will also take a bloody age and be rather boring. Chasing with an SDS drill + chisel bit will take about 10 minutes including hoovering up. If you're lucky enough to have a wall chaser, more like 5 minutes.

Chris
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. lowmans100

lowmans100 Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Can you not fix a frame to the rear of the unit so it stands off the wall then fix it it the wall with the frame?
  6. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Surely that would take longer than just chasing the wall?
  7. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Vicarious_Eyes, i have this exact same unit, do you have the glass back panel or the wood ones? what i did is get the ones with the cut out, i got these for all the panels, as i had a external HDD at the bottom, and what you do is poke the wires through the back board and then down the back of the unit, then, you have to cut a small hole in the backboard of the draw unit/cupboard and pull the cables through that way

:smashin:
  8. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    [​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    monkey - thanks for the info. I have the wooden panels but I'm thinking of putting the glass ones in instead, it's no problem to cut a hole in the panels.

My issue is once the cables are behind the panels - what have you done to chase them? Have you cut through the aluminium frame? I think the thing to do is cut holes in the horizontal runners. I would also need to drill a hole in the Besta unit to get the cables through there.

Have you got any more pictures that would show me what you did there? I finally got an answer from Ikea this morning, they reckon it's ok just to drill small holes and it won't affect the strength of the frame. Thanks for you help!
  10. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah I did consider doing that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having the unit rather than straight wall mounting the TV! Plus the room is just freshly decorated and I don't really want to undo all my hard work!

It's always a last resort though if it gives a neat finish..
  11. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Ive got the cables going straight out of the back of the TV into the precut glass pannel, the cables then just hang down the back of the unit, loosely, as they are unseen this is alright, then ive got my revo pc in one of the spaces at the bottom above the draw, i cut a hole in the back of the Besta unit then fished the wire through to plug it in.

Im currently redoing the lounge at the moment so the unit is in bits and i cant take any new pics, ive got these from when i first was putting it together, if they are any help.

This one you can see the precut out at the bottom of the panel, this is where i have my HDD and the Xbox Kinect will come out, there are similar cut outs like this behind the tv, you can also see the xbox in the hole, the psu is still on the shelf in this pic rather than behind the unit

[​IMG]

This one is when i drilled the first hole for the Xbox, you can see the hdmi coming out, this can also be routed down in the the draw below

[​IMG]

My lounge should be sorted soon, so ill be able to grab you some proper pics mate
  12. irfdude

irfdude Member

Ratings:
    +6
    [​IMG]

I thought that was a mirror, and said whats a couple of coppers doing in your garden:facepalm:
  13. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Haha id be worried if it were!
  14. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +285
    Thats almost exactly what I would like to do

How is the TV mounted ? I have a 50" G10 and would like to do same
  15. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Thats fitted with an Ikea TV bracket that supports up to 60", it slides along the aluminium rails
  16. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
  17. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +285
    Do you have link to the item on the ikea site ?
    And just how secure is it ? will it not topple over when I attach my tv ?
  18. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    The unit is screwed to the wall behind, as long as you do that, it should be no worries mate
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Monkey - thanks again. Your set up looks sweet!

I am still unsure though. Just to clarify my problem - I can get the cables in behind the back panel no problem. But once in there, how have you run them down to the where they come out again? Since the frame is screwed to the wall, you can't just run cables behind - so have you drilled holes in the aluminium frame to pass the cables through?

I don't know if I'm being a dunce or if we're just not on the same wavelength, but do you catch my drift?!
  20. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    I didn't have any problems running them down, ive got a good 2"gap or so from the wall and the furthest part of the panel, actually, where you have attached the wall panel to the base unit, did you do it flush? have you got some pics? all my power supplys, for the revo, laptop, airport, fit behind the bottom panel which is accessed by taking off the aluminium side, the only power supply that doest fit is the xbox one, which has to go in the draw, and for that, a plug sized hole was needed to be drilled in the back of the draw then fed up that back to where the plug socket is,
  21. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Ah I see, so you haven't flush mounted the panels.

I bit the bullet and just drilled throught he alu frame, all seems to be ok, I don't see any compromise to the strength. My base unit is not flush to the wall, there is ~20mm gap to accommodate skirting board. I'll post pictures when I have finished the job.

Last question! The Framsta black glass panels - do they allow light through? I have a set of LEDs and I'll buy the glass panels if they allow light through (bit less harsh than just sticking the strips to the side of the TV I think).

Cheers bro, you've been a great help.
  22. monkey00

monkey00 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    No the black panels are solid and im 99% sure they wont allow light though, ill double check later tho, i think the white ones are semi transparent if i remember correctly, they might be worth a look

I got the flooring down in lounge at the weekend so ill be putting it back together soon, ill post the pics then as well mate
  23. M_Infinity

M_Infinity Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I'm very interested in this unit - I like the ease of use in terms of not having to build my own thing to hide the wires, plus it looks great. Only problem I've got is my walls are plasterboard, I didn't really want to go back into the brickwork if possible to secure this unit in place. Is it liable to be unsafe/rip out half the wall with a 50" Plasma mounted on it, screwed into plasterboard?
  24. M_Infinity

M_Infinity Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone? Sorry for the impatience, I'm trying to decide if I should put my tv on this or go a different route.
  25. Vicarious_Eyes

Vicarious_Eyes Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi M Infinity.

I think in your case, you will need to secure the unit to a timber frame in the wall. I personally would not be comfortable having the unit attached only to plasterboard, with my prized plasma screen hanging off it! That's just my opinion though. This is not a single solid unit, it's panels screwed to the base unit and it won't be strong enough unless attached to the wall.

Have you thought of the Tobo unit?
    IKEA | TV & media solutions | TV solutions for flatscreen TVs larger than 37" | TOBO | TV panel with media storage

It doesn't need attached to the wall, which may suit you.
  26. M_Infinity

M_Infinity Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the response, essentially I already have a unit like that and really wanted to give the impression of being higher up on the wall. I'll have a look see where the timber is in the wall and probablly get someone else to sort it out, just to be on the safe side!
  27. akhlaq768

akhlaq768 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    how big is the tv?
  28. Queenoshoes

Queenoshoes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read with interest the earlier posts about the problem/question of running cables down the back but running into the metal frame. We were wondering the same thing too and I broke down and went to IKEA to ask someone and look at the sample on the wall. Apparently there is a piece included with the framsta that allows you to adjust the distance of the panels/frame from the wall - page 17 of the instruction book - allowing cables to run down and then entering through any holes drilled in the cabinet's back (if you are using one to hold electronics) - which should also be set off from the wall a bit too. Hopefully this will all work when we try it out...