1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots who ask for a Buy-It-Now Price price on eBay auctions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Geege, Sep 11, 2008.

1. shafster

shafster Member

Ratings:
    +16
    as a buyer and seller, i take the common sense approach.

selling, i always have a price in mind that i wil sell it for and a minimum i would take for it. so i list it as the minimum and if anyone asks me for a buy it now, i tell them what i would end the auction for and more often than not i sell it outside of ebay and avoid their fees. im always happy to sell outside of ebay plainly for the fact that ebay rip you off on listing fees, sales fees and then even more by their partner company if somone pays thorugh paypal. so if i can save all that daylight robbery, then i will.

likewise when buying, if i really want something i will ask for a buy it now price and see if its what i am willing to pay for it. occasionally i get a good deal and save myself a bidding war. other times, i put in a cheeky bid days earlier and see what happens. if i win, i get it for an extremely good price and if i dont, then im not too fussed either. either way i know what im willing to pay for it and wont waste my time with waiting around for the last second to bid for it
  2. Ned Senior

Ned Senior Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Excellent never thought that way and will use this method in future... that is unless it is a rarity I often bid on model buses from the old "Ribble" era these are quite scarce so sniping is the order of the day
  3. JackFord

JackFord Member

Ratings:
    +46
    People are stupid on ebay because they let their egos get in the way of their judgement. They can't stand the idea that someone is out bidding them.

Someone says that they will pay a max price of £15 for something, so they bid, but are instantly outbid by the original bidder, so they get angry, they add another pound on and when that just bumps up the price more they add another and another.

You could pretty much put a £20 note on and sell it for £25 because two bidders will each be desperate to win the item and not have it snatched away from them by someone they believe is undeserving.

Want to save yourself some money, think how much you want to pay, the most you want to, place your bid and wait till the end.
  4. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,345
    I rarely use ebay due to being very cynical about the sellers and the quality of the products. Also it seems more like either a poor quality boot sale or an online shopping centre! However when I do bid, it is all about being disciplined and being honest and subjective and using common sense. Too many people are led by thier heart when ebay'ing!
  5. Achy

Achy Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I always have the following 'argument's with my Father In Law...

He always says "I won it on ebay"
    To which I reply... "no you didnt, you paid for it" !

Also, he has to rush upstairs to use the computer so he can snipe something, I always ask why he doesn't just put the maximum amount he wants to pay for it and leave it, but he argues that someone will out bid him at the last minute by £1 or something :rolleyes:

So.... if he was prepared to pay that extra £1 why didnt he put that in as his maximum price to start with... it doesnt make sense to me :confused:
  6. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    It does astonish me how many people will pay well over the odds for an item like others have said that you could pick up on the high street for cheaper.

Funny thing is it nevers seems to happen when I am selling just when I am buying. :rolleyes: :D
  7. RMCF

RMCF Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    Me too !!!

I have often ended up giving stuff away for half of whats its worth. I didn't set a reserve as I thought it would be popular and go for a decent price.:rolleyes:
  8. djdave365

djdave365 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone
    i totally agree with geege, now. but when i first went onto ebay as a complete novice i did the same thing that we are annoyed about, although in my defence they didn't make it clear that there was no buy it now price available, please forgive me geege lol:nono:. what also makes me annoyed is when selling av equipment, a lot of ebayers don't display the necessary specs, ie output in watts, ohms impedence, sensitivity etc. i must confess i haven't sold anything on ebay yet, but surely your allocated enough space to include this info, aren't you:cool: look forward to your replies

advanced polite advice. i'm off to cornwall tonight for my hols, i'll be gone for two weeks, so leave your replies & i'll return mine when i return. many thanks, you all are a great group to chat to . see yer later djdave:cool::)
  9. biggles1958

biggles1958 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    well i must me an idiot too:D

loads of times i ask for a buy it now price - and mostly get a reply and a bargain - job sorted:D

from a sellers point of view a request for a buy it now price means a seriously interested buyer

mind you one guy recently got a bit stroppy - i offered him a buy it now price and ended up winning the auction at 100% less than the figure i originally offered

so who is the fool?
  10. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I find a simple no I would like the auction to run it's course as sufficient and have and will continue to email sellers asking as I presume that a 30 sec response of no if they would not like to as not putting them at too much of a disposition . :thumbsup:
  11. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    In theory you are right, but in practice wrong. It's because people don't put in their true maximum that sniping works. E.g. there is an item on which has a current price of 60 quid.. Bidder 1 would pay up to 100 quid for it, but puts on a 70 quid bid 'for now'. If this was the only bid the auction would end at 70 quid.

So now bidder 2 comes along. If he puts in a higher bid now of 80 quid, he will be the winner, unless bidder 1 ups his bid towards and to his 100 quid max. Bidder 2 could then win with an 110 quid bid if they chose.

However, if bidder 2 is a cunning sniper, he will wait until the last possible second to place his bid, so bidder 1 won't have a chance to retailate, and it will be won (AKA purchased) for 80 quid.

Bidder 2 has just saved 30 quid by sniping.

Sniping only works because the other guy doesn't know what he's doing, which is the case 90% of the time.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  12. biggles1958

biggles1958 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    in English?
  13. JUS

JUS Active Member

Ratings:
    +128
    "won it" :rotfl:

If the bid is at £20 and he's willing to pay £30 for it. If he puts a bid of £21 a hour before and sets it to not go higher than £30 then someone else could bid all the way up to £31 and nab it.

If he puts the £21 bid in with 10seconds to go with a max of £30. Then chances are he's going to save himself anything between £1-9. Especially if the other bidder hasn't put their max price in.

I'm not really into it myself tho. What kind of goods can I buy from Argos and sell on ebay for more? 360 games anything else? :D ;)
  14. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Er not sure how to take your comment other than thinking :mad:
  15. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Member

Ratings:
    +57
    90% of stuff I have bought from ebay has been Buy It Now, I just don't want to get into a bidding war with some idiot who has more money than sense and has the competitive head on.

I've seen some of these people end up paying close to or more than the retail price.

:confused:
  16. biggles1958

biggles1958 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    regardless, to me your post is gibberish?

maybe punctuation would make it more clear?
  17. andykn

andykn Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Maybe a bit more focus on your own maths and less on other's punctuation.

Unless you really did get the item for free.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. biggles1958

biggles1958 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    i offered £100 - bought in the end for £50

and yes my error:D

but the post i criticised still makes no sense?
  19. andykn

andykn Member

Ratings:
    +251
    I understood what you meant, as I understood what Loftusrd1980 meant too.
  20. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Thank you for your grammatical incite and good nature you must be a barrell of laughs to have around :suicide:.

I am sorry if you do not understand my post and your comments will :boring: considered.
  21. Achy

Achy Member

Ratings:
    +30
    But if he was only 'willing' to pay £30 then someone nabbing it at £31 is frustrating, but then if he was 'willing' to pay £32 then why not put £32 in as his max bid???
    He only missed out on £1 because it's the ebay autobid thing... the sniper may have actually bid £50, but he'll never know.

Whether he's missing out by £1 or £1000 is irrelevant if £30 was the maximum he was willing to pay.

I don't get the sniping... if you want something... bid the maximum you want to pay... people who snipe at the end will either outbid you or not.
  22. boltoa

boltoa Member

Ratings:
    +79
    esnipe.com ftw. That's how I ended up with my 805Ms for £350 :). I definitely think sniping works - and like people have said, only disadvantage being actually remembering. esnipe charges flat $1 for non-US auctions, so I use it regularly for higher value items. And you only get charged if you win.
  23. andykn

andykn Member

Ratings:
    +251
    But those who don't snipe, but who raise their maximum bid having seen you bid, will outbid you. If you snipe they don't get the chance as much.
  24. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    I often wonder why ebay runs the way it does, and not like a usual auction. i.e. the auction does not end until say 5 minutes after the last bid, and keeps going until there are no more bids.

What would be the disadvantage of this method? It would eliminate sniping and all that. I guess auctions could run on and on.
  25. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,154
    General Advice to all:

Insulting the punctuation of others is considered bad etiquette. You cannot just assume someone is being lazy and can therefore be ridiculed because you don't like the way they type. Infractions have and will be continue to be awarded for this behaviour. If you really don't understand something by all means ask for clarification, but generally it is not too difficult to work out what someone meant. If that is too much effort, then posting clever remarks is not going to help anyone, unless you are doing it to massage your own ego. This may make you feel bigger, but is probably best done elsewhere.

Have a nice day...

Dave
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008