1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots Guide To Streaming, Media Servers etc...

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by ellisbailey, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ham_rye

ham_rye Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, I too have given up with TVersity now, I will give this ps3MS a go when I recover my patience, as I reckon I'll have exactly the same issue with anything. My sneaky suspicion is that my SKY router's firewall is blocking access to media-server programmes, hence why I have never seen my PC from my PS3. Problem is I don't know how to sort it out, I tried everything with both WMP and TVersity.

I will post in here if and when I try anything else, as I really want to be able to play my music on my ps3 :mad: and reckon I'll need some help :lease:
  2. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    More likely to be a Software firewall on the PC blocking it than the router. Rather than allowing apps through the firewall on your PC try temporarily disabling them (inc the Windows one)
  3. ham_rye

ham_rye Member

Ratings:
    +9

Tried that, unfortunately still no luck. I use Avast, and I don't think that has a firewall, but I've tried switching the windows firewall off completely.
  4. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Guys and Gals

I want to stream video from PC to PS3 wirelessly using WMP11. PS3 can see the PC but does recognise any media.
    I suspect a file share setting is the problem.
    So
    1 Any directions on file share settings?

2 Am I wasting my time trying to achieve any sort of quality using WMP11 wireless?

Thanks
  5. Axum

Axum Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Ditch WMP11 and download PS3 Media Server.
  6. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    I see the link above. Thanks, no doubt I shall be on again.
  7. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Installed and sort of working.
    My initial focus is to play BBC iPlayer files. I can open the repository but then a dead end. Do I have adjust some settings?
  8. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Don't BBC iPlayer downloads have WMP DRM on them? If so they aren't going to stream with anything.

Why not just use BBC iPlayer through the PS3 web browser. works very well indeed now.
  9. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    duhh. Shows how much I know. There is still a problem with PS3MS as I can navigate folders but it does not recognise any files.
  10. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879

First things i'd check are...

1) NTFS permissions on media files on PC; make sure "Everyone" has at least read and Execute permission (If your using Windows 7 beta/rc this has a habit of removing most permissions when you add folders to a homegroup)

2) Make sure you are looking in video section on PS3 xmb when watching videos, music for music etc; due to the wayDLNA streaming works it will show music/video/photos folders in all 3 sectionson the XMB but files will only be visible in the correct section.

3)Make sure files aren't stored i folders more than 7 levels deep on the PC. The PS3 will only show folders up to 7 levels deep; if your media files are at the 8th folder level the files won't be displayed.

4) try temporarily disabling ALL firewalls (inc Windows one)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks for yur reply. I feel like giving up. This stuppit old goat cannot even navigate PS3 online. I wish I had kids.
    Maybe tomorrow.
  12. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    shows you how much i know i was trying to find it all in either the music or all in the video but after reading this now its sorted with tversity cheers
  13. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    we've all done it. Many times :rolleyes:
  14. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    so is the PS3 Media Server any good
  15. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    I have now got PS3MS to work. Problems were a mixture BBC iPlayer not being compatible and looking for pics in the movies.
    Next step HD Camcorder?
    Although it works straight out of the box a noob like me looks at the settings and wonders what they are for.
    I followed the poster's suggestion and accessed BBC iPlayer on PS3 web browser. Works but not totally. e.g. was not able to pause play to allow buffering to get far enough ahead to prevent stuttering.
    Getting there.