1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots Guide To Streaming, Media Servers etc...

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by ellisbailey, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Purple snakes

Purple snakes New Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Hi i got mine working last night on my ps3 and i wanted to ask why do xvid files look so bright and washed out and vob files look so soft is there a way to change this i have settings on high for tversity or is this as good as tveristy gets.
  2. supedaj

supedaj Member

Ratings:
    +5
    i got my 'unsupported data' error on the PS3 fixed by changing the profiles.xml. Changed mpeg4 to mpeg2 and it was fine.

However, the PS3 will only show 27 minutes of a 42 minute file. Anyone know why that occurs? I also tried to copy it down to the hard drive but the progress bar was moving terribly slowly (and its only a 350mb file)

Any ideas? :lease:

Thanks
  3. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry for repeat my pc froze and I didnt think it had been posted one of these can be deleted.

I have finally managed to get my TVersity working as you may notice from the idiots guide to media streaming, now I have a couple of questions seen as though I can actually play stuff on my ps3 now.

My pc is connected wirelessly to my router and in the connection window in xp it shows connected at 108Mbps with good signal. my ps3 is then connected via cable to my router.

I find it very slow but I dont know what to expect as this is my first attempt at networking/streaming.

When I go into my photos folder and it starts loading the picture thumbnails at the bottom of the screen it takes about 5-10 seconds for any to appear then it takes around 3 seconds for each to appear is this average?

When I view audio the files show up quickly but when I click to play one it takes 15 seconds to start playing then nearly the same again when I switch tracks, surely this should be quicker.

Are there some settings I should change or is there something I can do to improve the network speed? cable connection isnt an option really.

My tversity settings are as follows,
    I have set my media playback device to ps3 as it is the only device I am using.
    Transcoder options:
    Only when needed, vid res 1920x1080max, image res 1280x1024, use direct show for windows media encoding using wmv8, optimization quality, conn speed 100mbps excellent quality and decoding speed unchecked.

Is there a test I can do to test network performace or is this just a limitation of the software and networking? I was expecting it to be much quicker than it is at loading photos and skipping music tracks. It would be quicker to get the photo album out or change the cd.....

Any ideas?
  4. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have finally managed to get my TVersity working as you may notice from the idiots guide to media streaming, now I have a couple of questions seen as though I can actually play stuff on my ps3 now.

My pc is connected wirelessly to my router and in the connection window in xp it shows connected at 108Mbps with good signal. my ps3 is then connected via cable to my router.

I find it very slow but I dont know what to expect as this is my first attempt at networking/streaming.

When I go into my photos folder and it starts loading the picture thumbnails at the bottom of the screen it takes about 5-10 seconds for any to appear then it takes around 3 seconds for each to appear is this average?

When I view audio the files show up quickly but when I click to play one it takes 15 seconds to start playing then nearly the same again when I switch tracks, surely this should be quicker.

Are there some settings I should change or is there something I can do to improve the network speed? cable connection isnt an option really.

My tversity settings are as follows,
    I have set my media playback device to ps3 as it is the only device I am using.
    Transcoder options:
    Only when needed, vid res 1920x1080max, image res 1280x1024, use direct show for windows media encoding using wmv8, optimization quality, conn speed 100mbps excellent quality and decoding speed unchecked.

Is there a test I can do to test network performace or is this just a limitation of the software and networking? I was expecting it to be much quicker than it is at loading photos and skipping music tracks. It would be quicker to get the photo album out or change the cd.....

Any ideas?
  5. nickmoul

nickmoul Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Try using a wired connection. I gave up on using wireless, ~I found it far too slow. There are 3 media server programs I've used successfully, Simplecenter, Orb and TVersity. I found Orb to be the fastest, but basic, Simplecenter good but you have to use watch folders to get photos in right order and Tversity most flexible but slowest. Suggest you try a fast 200mbps Devolo Homeplug instead of wireless. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.
  6. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What would I need to set this up?

the network card in my pc can only support 100mbps won't it?
    wouldnt i just need a100mbps setup and if i got this how do i set it up? do i just plug one in near my pc then one near the router and then a cable from plug to pc and plug to router and leave my ps3 connected via ethernet cable to router?

If thats the case can anyone recommend a setup up and where I can buy them at a good price in UK
  7. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi , correct me if i am wrong as i am still coming to understand my ps3, if i install a media server on my machine then can i watch all the content on my pc through my ps3, if this is the case then can somebody direct me to the thread concerning the idiots guide to media servers thanks:thumbsup:
  8. sawboman

sawboman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I recently set-up my PS3 on my Wlan can access the net and playstation store. I have gone onto my PC (running XP SP2) and into WMP11 have checked the enable file sharing on the library tab in Options, but I cannot access anything on the PS3 as no media servers are found, PS3 is not found in WMP11.

I have also gone into my security settings (zonelabs) and allowed WMP file sharing in the trusted zone.

Please help, as I'm at my wits end !!:lease:

Cheers,
    Dave
  9. coffee

coffee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    have no problems when playing music but video files wont stream says corrupt data or something similar
  10. atr1981

atr1981 Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I had the same problem the other day.

Can't explain why though so not much help.
  11. coffee

coffee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    did it fix itself
  12. NeilW555

NeilW555 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I also have the same problem. When I first set it all up my movies streamed fine but now I get the Corrupt Data message.

One thing I have noticed though is that when I stream it doesnt seem to open up the ffdshow program which it did the first time however when I run the movies on my PC it does open ffdshow as I get 2 icons in the bottom right tray.

Can anyone advise if there is a setting needed in TVersity so it run ffdshow when streaming?

Cheers
  13. evo17paul

evo17paul Member

Ratings:
    +2
    this is a common problem and i had myself also, but after lots of searching the only fix i could find was this.

stop the tversity service
    run a command prompt
    type mediaserver.exe -debug (from the tversity folder)

This will start the software in debug mode (no sh*t sherlock :)) but it will also start the service

give it a try, worked for me
  14. riddler1999

riddler1999 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  15. Purple snakes

Purple snakes New Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Can anyone please help, i can stream divx just fine but i cannot stream VOB it keeps showing error loading video please help someone.
  16. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have got rid of the wireless and managed to pick up a pair ow 200mbps home plugs for £40 plus p&p on ebay they arrived today plugged in and worked straight away. This technology will really catch on as there is no setup or security needed. I just switched on the ps3 and tried some music now it takes about 3 seconds for a track to start and 2 to skip so that is plenty usable for me now im happy. Videos working OK too although I have only tried one or two.

Photos are still a bit sluggish about 2 secs each but i suppose that will only be helped by getting a faster port on the router or a hub/switch and running cat6 cable.

I have just downloaded some divx clips from bittorrent and they show as being hd but when i downloaded them they are in xvid format and showin res of 624x352, is this ok? Thes show up on ps3 as mpeg2 as they will need transcoding due to not being supported but will I get much better quality by converting to say h.264 or mp4 then copying over and viewing from there or not?
  17. eireann10

eireann10 Member

Ratings:
    +206
    just got my PS3, had already bought 2 Homeplugs. (didnt want to go wireless, got bison units in house and didnt think it would work properly)

hooked it all up, plugs worked fine, although at first couldnt find any media servers, turned off windows firewall and it worked fine (could someone run me through how to open port 41952)

only tried a couple of films, photos and some music, all seemed to be working great.

so far really please with the homeplugs and havent had any hick-ups yet - early days so maybe thats a kiss of death.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
  18. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Has anybody ever wondered why Tversity needs to access the internet to work?
    I've tried restricting it to just my local network but it has none of it.
    It won't work unless it can access the internet.
    Why?
    I have no internet feeds at all set up they've all been deleted.
    I did a who is look up on the IP address it was contacting and the IP address was registered with Amazon.com :confused:
    http://www.networksolutions.com/who...8ffffffffce786287399e54a:xQYs?ip=72.44.55.242
  19. shardlojik

shardlojik Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I think it will connect over the internet to see if there are any updates. However it still runs OK if you block port 41952 on a firewall, and if you turn off the option that allows incoming connections from the internet. That's what I've done after it decided (via default settings) to download 1GB of stuff without me knowing one day. Once I found out I made sure it wouldn't be doing anything like that again!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    I never thought of blocking access via the router I was trying to block it with Zone Alarm

I've now blocked inbound and outbound and Tversity still seems to be running OK
    :smashin:
  21. heman

heman Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

Am trying to use my network HDD as a storage that the PS3 can stream video from, so won't need my PC on all the time. I have enabled the network drive as a media server and copied movies into the My Movies folder, then refreshed the media server files.

When I access the media server from the PS3 menu the movies files are all there but all are titled 'Unsupported Data' and do not play. If I press triangle to get more info on each file, only then the does the file name come up. The files I have tried are avi's.

I have updated the PS3 to FW 2.10 this am.

Any ideas?
  22. gers1978

gers1978 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Should my PS3 be displaying album art that's embedded into the mp3 files when streaming from my WMP11 PC?
  23. gers1978

gers1978 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Is there any way to sort my streamed music on the PS3 by track number? The PS3 seems to display it all alphabetically - very annoying for DJ mix albums
  24. gusf1

gusf1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I used to have a problem fast-forwarding HD content with the last firmware... (mkv etc.) - when playing after FF it would play at faster speed than normal with no sound. Also had a problem when pausing... but pause seems to be resolved.

I'm using TVersity

Anybody else had any luck fast forwarding HD content with different streaming software using the new 2.10 firmware?

All my DivX/XVid files seem to be fine which is great; can finally get rid of my Helios X3000!!! :clap::thumbsup: Just need to merge my .vobs so there is one per vid (fast forward/remind/pause seem to work fine with DVD rips)

All seems to be getting there slowly... would love to fast forward HD stuff but the screen just goes blank now... anybody else finding this?

Gus
  25. davidegee

davidegee Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Is there an easy way to do this?
  26. gusf1

gusf1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You read my mind... it's a bit of a faff using the command prompt so I was going to write a script which means you can just right-click and combine but I think I'm just going to go the old route for now, from the command prompt:

copy /b *.vob combined.vob

bear in mind:

1. You should be in the right folder

2. If any other vobs are in the folder you should probably do something like:

copy /b part1.vob+part2.vob+part3.vob combined.vob

Hope that helps!! If I write a script which allows you to select & combine I'll post it up as it's a pain to have to do it manually...

cheers
    gus
  27. stevethone

stevethone Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry for the utter n00b question, but I can't figure this out...

I just installed Twonky on my mac, and the Twonky Apple server is now showing on my PS3. The problem is I can't actually locate the Twonky program on my Mac to add anything!

Does anyone know where it gets installed to?
  28. frenchie0101

frenchie0101 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I have just been reading around about streaming Xvid and that the problem looks as if its to do with WMP11, what i don't get is why Sony has not released its own media player so that everything runs better. It would also probably open up a new world for PS3 having a sony media player where you can edit your pictures and sort out all your music from your pc.
  29. ][Uzzy][

][Uzzy][ Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm having problems trying to get the PS3 to see the Tversity Media Server. I have the latest Tversity installed aswell as the latest PS3 firmware and I've tried everything under the sun, i.e forward ports 41952 on my router, add Tversity.exe and Mediaserver.exe to the allow list on my firewall, i've turned the firewall off, everything. It just doesn't see it.

When I install an older version of the program the PS3 can see it just fine but it doesn't see the latest version. I really find that strange, why does it see the older version but not the newest? I would settle with the older version except that it doesn't play video files fully, i.e it pauses itself halfway before the video is meant to finish.

I would appreciate any help as I've just been scratching my head over this problem for the past few days.
  30. bimboles

bimboles Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Go to http://localhost:9000 in Safari.

Or replace localhost with your mac's IP e.g. http://192.168.1.3:9000

Everything is controlled via a web based control panel.

Cheers,

Tim