Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify HD box make from packaging

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by littlealex, Aug 16, 2009.

1. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Quick one for the gurus.

Whilst looking on Ebay for a second hand SkyHD box I'm finding people aren't always declaring what make they are. I'm keen to avoid Pace and Thomson and go for Amstrad and Samsung (from what people here have said, please correct me!). Is there a way of identifying the make from either the box itself or the cardboard box it came in (one item has it pictured on top of the packaging).

I know I could ask the vendor but they're not quick to reply sometimes!

Thanks
  2. 6022tivo

6022tivo Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Get a samsung or pace... Avoid the other two.
  3. GaryMo

GaryMo Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Even if you could, many people use pictures from elsewhere and are not necessarily of the item itself.

You would need to contact the vendor for confirmation.
  4. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I think I'm going to get a Samsung. As I'm getting a used one I'd like to avoid the dodgy batch of Pace ones I've heard about. The only drawback with the Sammy seems to be that it hasn't got the new EPG yet. Anyone any idea when that's due?

The one I'm looking at has a blue box - what do we reckon that is?
  5. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm pretty sure it's the actual box. Ebay item 250481734061 if you all promise not to snatch it from under me :)
  6. 6022tivo

6022tivo Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I have just looked, my pace box is black and not like this one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. StarMonkee

StarMonkee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amstrads come in black boxes as well
  8. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks guys. I've just won a Samsung box for £94 including postage which seems reasonable. Now to get onto Sky to negotiate a viewing card :)
  9. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Well that was a very brief experience as a potential Sky customer. Despite being told on an online chat by one Sky monkey earlier today that I could pay £10 a month for recording functionality and get BBCHD, the monkey on the phone just now tells me that BBCHD would not come out in HD if I did that. The only way to get the "Free To Air" BBCHD channel with a SkyHD box is to pay a further £10 a month to get the HD package and the only way to get the HD package is to pay £17 a month for the other rubbish.

If they could promise me I could cancel when I wanted I was planning on getting that for a few months before dropping down to recording only as I'm only really interested in the FTA stuff. However I'd also be tied into my £27 for Free To Air television for the full 12 months despite not needing the free box or installation.

So I'm off to Richer Sounds tomorrow for a Foxsat, lack of firmware updates or not and you can expect to see another Samsung box hit Ebay once it arrives at my house.

What a shower :)
  10. carlymart

carlymart Member

Ratings:
    +18
    i have a standard sky package with no £10 sub for hd and i DO get BBCHD and C4HD
    as i subscribe to a normal package i get all the sky + functions as well
  11. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I suspect I've been ******** by Sky CS which has just about put me off completely in itself. Can you 100% confirm that your box outputs BBCHD and C4HD in HD, not just SD rez? I might ring in again and try a different monkey :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  12. bighfishing

bighfishing Member

Ratings:
    +157
    same here, you will defo get bbc and ch4 in full hd.
  13. carlymart

carlymart Member

Ratings:
    +18
    as far as i can tell its HD the picture is great my tv says the input is 1080I when watching BBCHD
    it sounds like you spoke to a tool at sky
    from my experance it takes a few calls to get anything sorted with sky about 6 for my thompson HD box going faulty

if you currently subsribe to a sky package wait till you get a box call get the card paired with the box and see if it works
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  14. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm online chatting with a different monkey now. Let's see what he has to say.
  15. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    This one says I can pay £20 for a card and then £10pcm for Sky+ which I assume will include BBCHD... still negotiating...

This is fun :)
  16. carlymart

carlymart Member

Ratings:
    +18
    that sounds like a freesat card plus the £10 sky+ charge so that sounds right BBC HD is free as well
  17. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Well, the rollercoaster continues. I will now not be risking the allegedly buggy Foxsat and the delights of Freesat as I have now signed up with "Freesat from Sky". The online chat monkey told me quite openly that I could sign up for a card and then it's a 12 month subscription at £10 a month for the recording functionality and, hopefully, BBCHD and C4HD included (with ITVHD when they, surely, see sense!). If I want further Sky channels I can upgrade but it would be a new 12 month subscription. So I'll give it a year and see if an alternative non Sky box comes out (or the Humax gets upgraded finally) and also let the terrestrial channels work out which platforms they're on and whether they're actually going to show much in HD!

If anyone else is following in my footsteps, the trick is not to call Sky CS but to call "Freesat from Sky" whose CS number is 08442411602. I suspect if I'd signed up with Sky on £17 a month I would have got the same thing but as I don't react well to being lied to by salesmonkeys, I'd rather stick with FTA :)

So, the card should arrive about the same time as the SkyHD box and we'll see whether the system actually works.

I can see myself buying the next generation of Freesat non sub boxes this time next year though...
  18. littlealex

littlealex Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Which is what I wanted originally but was told by the Sky-liar that I couldn't have it. They could have had an extra 7 quid a month out of me if they'd just been honest - I might even have tried the HD package.

Their loss :)

Thanks for all who helped!