Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal wall mounting height for 50" plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheDonDon, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, there's got to be a thread on this but I just can't find it.

Apart from personal preference, are there any guidelines regarding the ideal height at which to wall mount a 50" plasma screen?

E.g some relationship between viewing distance, eye level etc:lease:
  2. joeraz1979

joeraz1979 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    mine is 100cm to bottom of screen/panel
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nbat58

nbat58 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I personnaly reckon common sence here rather than elaborate calculation required. The screen need to be about the same level as your eyes when sitting down to watch the tv (aparantly as your eyes tend to slightly look down if anything). I would say that you can of course go higher than that but bear in mind that the closer you are the lower the tv needs to be, otherwise you'll get a bad neck from looking up all the time.
    Please correct me if my logic is way off.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. suniil

suniil Active Member

Ratings:
    +396
    mine too! but slightly higher than eye level. If i get another chance to wall mount, i would go for 90 cm or less

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. noidea

noidea Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I find it needs to be at least the height of a 3 year old child with his sticky hands outstretched
  6. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everybody so far.

100cm just sounds like a lot to me.

I'm sitting looking at my dead 36" Sony CRT (which went pop in a recent thunderstorm) and the bottom of the actual screen (3.5m away) is only 60cm from the floor.

From some measurements I took in a shop today, I reckon that on its stand the bottom of the Panny TH50PX70 screen is only about 75cm from the floor.
  7. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    MAW recommended to me, between 700 and 900mm. I sit just over 4m away from a 508, so i installed the cables and speakers around the fact my plasma would be 850mm from the floor. This is ideal for me, as once it was installed by MAW, it sat about 15mm above my centre speaker. I feel this looks about right, and is high enough for toddlers and small children not to touch.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. petetherock

petetherock Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Pioneer installs their screens 90cm from the floor to the bottom of the panel, wall mounted.
    I placed my panel on a console about 75cm from the floor.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. kevshed

kevshed Member

Ratings:
    +66
    my 508 is 95cm from the floor.. just finishing off my install, will post pictures later in the week in the gallery....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. nbat58

nbat58 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Remember if the set is hanging too low on the wall it might look ridiculous, in this case you might as well use a table stand.
    between 800mm and a 1000mm sounds about right dependant on how far away you'll be watching it from. You can go a little bit higher if you are sitting very far away from the set.
    Go to Curry's or somewhere like that and pick up a Panasonic folded brochure, there is a footprint plan for most tv panel sizes. You can cut out your size and try it on the wall with some blue tack and go and sit from where you'll be watching your tv, you'll try it then before you'll hang it and realise it's not how you imagined it to look.
    Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your set up/ requirement.
  11. petetherock

petetherock Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I would not hang it too high, unless you want it to be visible at eye level whilst standing up, its Not meant to be a painting, so do your homework
    cheers

P
  12. gongatots

gongatots Member

Ratings:
    +67
    i have mine around 900mm from the floor and nearly everybody that has seen it so far has commented on it being to low!:eek:
    how many stands can you buy that are above a metre in height?
    i think there is too much emphasis on how the screen looks when its turned off rather than how comfortable the thing is to watch.
    i know i`ve said it before but im amazed that people can stick a 2k(or any!) plasma above a fireplace:eek:
    style(or lack of it:rotfl:)before practicality!
  13. nbat58

nbat58 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I personally think that a Plasma over a fire place looks ok as long as you are sitting @ least 6m away, that is not science fact, just my opinion.
  14. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro Member

Ratings:
    +177
  15. gongatots

gongatots Member

Ratings:
    +67
    are you saying the plasma looks ok as a decoration or to watch?
    i`ve yet to see a plasma that suits such a high location as a fireplace:)
    i agree that there is a nice space to fill above the fireplace,but with a plasma:eek:

surely a a nice picture of the family would be more suitable?

the above is imho:)
  16. gongatots

gongatots Member

Ratings:
    +67
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. nbat58

nbat58 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Just look at Kinkyaffro's link to his setup and give me your opinion.
  18. gongatots

gongatots Member

Ratings:
    +67
    i gave my opinion in the post above yours:)
    if you wanted my opinion on the height of his plasma(and the fact its over a fire) then imho it is to high to enjoy films for a fair length of time.:)
    it looks a nice neat job and(not to confuse you) is a custom install rather than a plasma stuck above a fireplace:)
  19. brad

brad Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Mine is mounted in a bay window with a one off bracket. Bottom of the screen is 450mm high with the centre of the screen being bang in the middle of my eye position when seated:cool::cool:

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Bumtious

Bumtious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,965
    Mine on its stand is 65cm from the floor to the bottom of the set.

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. kevshed

kevshed Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Is that a radiator directly behind your screen ? Doesnt it get hot there?
  22. brad

brad Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Yes indeed that is a radiator:rolleyes::rolleyes: but it has been turned of due to the fact that the room has another radiator of a fair size & my house is very well insulated:cool::cool: When my Panny PW5 lived in the place of my 508 it used to kick out a fair old amount of heat & that was a 42" :eek::eek: the 508 doesn't emit no way near as much heat:smashin::smashin:
  23. kevshed

kevshed Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Glad to hear it !! :)
  24. TheDonDon

TheDonDon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've thanked everbody in this thread and if I've missed anyone then apologies.

I've stuck my home made cardboard TH50PX70 to the wall and I reckon that 60-65 cm is ideal for me.

I'll let you know what happens when I get it up (oh er missus).
  25. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro Member

Ratings:
    +177
    You're right Leepy mate :thumbsup:. It isn't just a plasma stuck over a fireplace :smashin: Everything's custom made to fit. Everything was meticulously planned for months and various different designs worked out. The fire is specially made and installed to have a plasma mounted above it and the whole thing is indeed as you say a custom install.

However, you are wrong re. the height :rolleyes: If i turn the screen off i can sit on the sofa and see the reflection of my head in the screen (uugh, but that's another thing). Believe me, the reflection is dead centre on the screen so I neither look up nor down :thumbsup: That was the way we planned it and it works perfectly. Do what we did, stick a 42" or 50" piece of card on the wall and sit and stare at it for a good few hours, you'll soon know if it's too high :rotfl:

It's a matter of complete personal opinion anyway and how high, or low you mount your screen depends on sooooo many factors.

If you want the big 50" "WOW" "cinema" feel and really only watch dvd's mount it slightly higher :smashin:

If you suffer from a sore neck looking up, mount it slightly lower.

If you lie down on the sofa to watch tv mount it lower.

If you want the plasma to be a main "feature" of the room mount it higher.

If you don't want it to be so obtrusive mount it lower or get a smaller screen or stick it on a pedestal in the corner.

Also ask yourself how much time do you sit watching the plasma in the lounge? In our house my wife and i will generally have dinner in the kitchen and watch the 23" lcd for the news etc. We only move into the lounge later on for about an hour or so before bed. Don't think that'd crick my neck even if it was too high.
  26. petetherock

petetherock Member

Ratings:
    +61
    The furthe ryou sit, the more parallel the light rays become, but at 6m it practically defeats the purpose of buying beautiful Pioneer

And I think putting any panel above a fireplace is a bad idea ;)

27. gongatots

gongatots Member

Ratings:
    +67
    good post mate.
    the ideal height is a personal thing and only you can decide.
    at the minute im not sure at what height to mount but need to decide as i need to start to build the install.
    i really do find it hard to look up at the tv with out reclining back(to uncomfortable).
    but it seems(dare i say it:eek:)that mounting "the tv above the fireplace "has become the first priority of every chav near me when buying a big t.v.
    :suicide:
  28. nbat58

nbat58 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    :D:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I would still maintain: make a footprint with paper or card of your tv (better still pick a panny one from your retailer), then stick it with blue tack and try it out. No matter what anyone says your the one that have to live with it. If you are hanging a plasma somewhere because it looks good and visitors will like it there when it's off:suicide: it's your call, you make your choice and you'll have the wife to nag you when she gets a bad neck:D