Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ibasso DX50 - New DAP

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by McCol, Aug 21, 2013.

1. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Ibasso are about to release their new DAP on to the market, the DX50.
    After owning a DX100 I've ordered one and hopefully should be here end of August. The DX100 was a brilliant player with great sound quality but was a bit bulky and lacking in battery life. Hoping the new player isnt too far behind in sound quality.

iBasso
  2. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Email from Ibasso to confirm I'm in first batch of orders.

This player has USB OTG feature so that a external HDD or USB key can be connected and music played from. This in theory gives the player a massive capacity potential.
  3. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Like yourself I am also in the first batch to be shipped on the 26th - cant wait for this. I was about to pull the trigger on a fiio x3 which seems to be well received, I have high hopes for the ibasso though.

Looks lovely and fingers crossed the brushed effect case transpires to be a metal of sorts - no idea which metal would be used mind

Any ideas on how long it will take to arrive in the UK?

I also think delaying a release of a dap slightly after that of a competitor could work in ibasso's favour as they could use the feedback from users of the x3 to polish the firmware and ui on this before release

Marginally excited :)
  4. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I've had deliveries from ibasso before, took around 3-5 days so hoping to have next Friday.
    I was similar to yourself, almost pulled the trigger on an X3 this week but once the DX50 was made available I couldn't resist. I've had the DX100 and a couple of their amps and have always been impressed.

A little bit more than marginally excited:blush::thumbsup:

5. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Every chance for tail end of next week then, that would be great.

Fingers crossed we won't get stung on import duty :eek:
  6. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Hope you receive them this weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think of this. It certainly looks good (design & specs).
  7. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Be next weekend at the earliest I reckon, they're not going to be shipped until monday
  8. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    So far I've never been stung for customs taxes. Ibasso normally ship as a low value USB sound card.
  9. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Shipping day from ibasso with any luck:)

Been painstakingly dragging and dropping my chosen flac files from my vortexbox to micro sd card so I should be good to go as soon as the dx50 arrives
  10. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Hopefully be here by Friday, going to order a 64gb card tomorrow. Also been looking at 64 and 128gb USB keys to use with OTG function.
  11. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    yeah that's caught my eye as well - may look into that further in due course

certainly looks like it will be (fingers crossed) a really good dap

I love the looks - just preying it is made of brushed metal or similar and not plastic - appreciate the screen bezel and buttons maybe plastic which I can live with

the UI looks really good and the GE options look great as well - I sincerely hope it beats my rock-boxed ipod with ease - which will be quite a mean achievement by all accounts

really hope it gets here from Friday so I can have an extensive play over the weekend

out of interest what will you be using with it - earphones / headphones wise??
  12. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Main earphone use will be AKG K3003 or Minerva Mi-3 customs, will also use with Sennheiser Momentums. What about yourself?
  13. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Nice phones - I have nothing at that level

Currently jvc hxt90's. I also have a pair of tdk ie800 but doubt ill open them

I really like the jvc, on the radar is a set of on ears but not sure which yet
  14. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Initially I never thought I'd end up with expensive iem's but 9 years after trying the etymotic er6 its been a gradual journey through many different sets, buying and selling on headfi and here!
    The AKG's I would never have paid full price for but got a really good price for a sealed set on ebay so took the plunge. I think my journey is over in regards to iem's, the AKG's sound amazing.

Can't help much with on ears as I've never really tried any. How do those JVC's sound? I've heard some good things about them.
  15. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    IMO the jvc are very very good, I've had / tried:

shure se215 - sounded a little thin to me
    hisoundaudio crystal - would love to give these another go
    fischer dba - couldn't stand them if im being honest
    Yamaha eph - great iem's, prefer the fit of the jvc
    jvc fxd80's - very good, would have kept them but moved them on when I got the 90's

build is good, fit is nice - certainly with the comply tips I've opted to use

mids are very good, bass is very well controlled and treble is what I would describe as "safe"

good iem's :)
  16. bobfoc

bobfoc Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Let me know how you get on with this please folks?

Im particularly interested in sound, build quality, user interface / easy of use, and how well it powers larger headphones to decent levels like the Momentums and such like :)

Thanks
  17. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I'll post a quick wee initial impression followed by a more in depth one after a few days use. Going to be comparing from memory though as I sold my DX100 a few weeks ago and only really been using my HTC One recently for listening.
  18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    another member here who is trying to make his mind up betrween this and x3. The DX50 certainly looks interesting.
  19. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Like McCol, I'll post a quick paragraph or 2 giving first impressions, then a longer post once I've "settled in"

first impressions will include:

build quality
    UI / navigation / ease of use
    little bit of info on menu's and options
    brief indication of sound
  20. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    @ McCol - check the thread on headfi - looks like these could be starting to arrive - there are a couple of spoilers - however I cannot open these at work

GGGRR!!!

**looks like a wind up**
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  21. bobfoc

bobfoc Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks.

If you have some big chunky hard to drive headphones, letting us know if you can get half decent volume levels out of them would be appreciated?
  22. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    i just got this email from ibasso....

Hi,
    First of all, thank you for your DX50 order.
    There are problems on the DX50 case supply, and we have to defer all of the 1st batch DX50 shipments. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. We will send your DX50 before Sep 6th, and will try out best to send out your shipment earilier.
    As a compensation, we will include a spare battery inside the shipment. We hope you can accept our apology.
    Best Regards,
    iBasso Audio

did you get this as well McCol?
  23. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Yeah got the same email as well. Bit of a bummer but the spare battery is a nice gesture and was something I might have bought later on. The wait continues.
  24. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Yeah same here was probably going to purchase a spare Samsung galaxy s3 battery from amazon as thats meant to be the same one. I did reply to their email and enquired about the case construction.....

It is in fact brushed metal top and bottom (so I assume front and back) the rest being plastic, so sides and button/screen enclosure I reckon.

As I have no dap at the minute this is a good excuse to get a clip zip and rockbox it in the meantime:)
  25. McCol

McCol Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Let me know how you get on with that, always been a bit curious about the zip with rock box. I've got an old clip kicking around but can't find it!
  26. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Apparently our first batch dx50 should be shipped tomorrow

Got my clip zip today and roxkboxed it immediately

Really really impressed with it considering its size etc. Using with my tdk ie800 and perfect set up for my evening run. Just gonna sit and play with the settings
  27. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,463
    User replaceable battery and choice of 3x line out. Am suddenly interested. Would only be using it as a transport to an external amp, so size / weight does not bother me
  28. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Fingers crossed we'll have user impressions in a week or so

:smashin:
  29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Has it arrived yet :D ?
  30. dimmockg