Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i7 2600k over heating stock settings help please

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by Lestat_11, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Lestat_11

Lestat_11 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    I completed this build a couple of days ago and am having problems when it is on full load
    Setup is
    I7 2600k 3.4 (stock cooler)
    Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 with latest bios
    750w psu
    N560gtx-ti twin frozr 2 graphics card
    1tb sata hard drive
    8 gig ddr3 1600 ram

When idle (just running programs that windows starts) I get temps of 35 to 40 c room the pc is in is warm
    When on full load using prime 95 the temp shoots up to 98c
    When prime 95 is stopped it takes around 30 seconds for the temperature to return to 35 to 40 c
    The fan is seated correctly with all four plastic pins locked in place (has been reseated once with artic silver 5 applied cpu and fan where cleaned before reaplying)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG] when idle

[​IMG] under load
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Lestat_11

Lestat_11 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    For any one that is interested / may have the same problem as me
    I have just fitted a new cpu cooler
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
    I now see idle at 25c
    And under full load 58c
    [​IMG]
  3. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Those temperatures seem much more reasonable for an i7-2600K. Now get overclocking...
  4. santosh123

santosh123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm getting similar. with similar set up. i suggest getting a decent heat sink and over clock. which i shall do shortly after i decide which cooler to get
  5. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Guys - this is interesting to note so thanks for posting.
    I should be receiving my i7 2600K and Asus P8z68-v pro gen 3 board today ready to put together and so might just buy another CPU cooler in place of the stock one. I'm putting together a PC for video editing and so have a SSD drive for Win 7 Ultra 64 OS, 16Gb memory and a couple of 2 Tb HDD, pioneer Blueray recorder etc. Just need to sort out a graphics card but that will come later.
  6. santosh123

santosh123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems you have the same setup as me, except I only have 1 2tb hdd.
    As far as gpu's go I have the 560ti and it's brilliant.

And replacing the stock cooler should be a definite, especially with video editing, as that's what throws my temps soaring
  7. Lestat_11

Lestat_11 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Hi I also found out with mine that the m board was auto over clocking the CPU and ram and was the main reason it was over heating with the stock cooler.
  8. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi guys. I've just upgraded my PC to i7 2600K and the asus Z68 Pro gen3 board. Woa - stock cooler and CPU temperature shot to 85 degrees when doing a basic video render - I cancelled that render in panic. Otherwise it sits at around 29 degrees. No over clocking and I guess no hard tasking until I can get a new cooler in there. So that's another 40 or 50 pounds to add to the build. Cooler I'm going to order (hope it fits) is a "be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced Quiet cooler" which also seems to get very good results. Loos like a pain to install but I'll give it a try. With the Easter holidays looks like a while before I can get hold of one. Will update if i get hold of one,
  9. Redmint

Redmint Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Which case have you got and how many case fans do you have?
  10. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've got what I just realised is quite an older case - but it was good at the time - It's a Gigabyte 3D Aurora and is quite huge compared to some cases about. Dimensions: 205 x 522 x 510 (W x H x D). It has 3x 120mm fans 1 at the front and 2 at the back. The 800w PSU also has a 120mm fan. You can really feel the air moving around there and generally the inside of the case is well ventillated. Just going to have a quick check to see if there is enough physical space to get a new cooler in there. Should be as it's a big case and my memory is low profile thankfully.

++Edit - Just ordered an Arctic cooling freezer 13 pro as Lestat11 who started the post reports good results.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Update - Installed the Arctic cooling Freezer 13 Pro this morning and now have over-clocking hitting 4.4 without any heating issues at all. Running a video render under Sony Vegas 10 (64 bit) getting maximum temperatures of 51 Degrees so I'm very happy now with that. Was getting >85 degrees when non overclocked performing the exact same test so I feel a lot happier I'm not frying the CPU. Just got to buy a decent HD camcorder now!
  12. Louis

Louis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a big difference from 98 to 58 degrees at load!!!! Never thought that would be that big.
  13. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Have to say that I was well impressed with the temperature difference. From over 85 down to around 53 degrees with that arctic cooler. Been using the PC quite a bit lately and monitoring the temperatures and it's never gone above 54. I set the smart fan control quite tight to 55 degrees and so as soon as it gets within a few degrees of that the fan spins up faster forcing the cooling. Fan is still quiet even at full speed.
    My brother wants to upgrade his PC and so I'll be building that and using the same components.
  14. Lestat_11

Lestat_11 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Think my pc has hit 57 max when doing a video encode using about 95 - 100% of the CPU for around 4 hours in a warm room.