Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted i5 sandybridge/i7 mobo, RAM combo

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by tcr4x4, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Useless_Help

Useless_Help New Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Not really, would prefer the Cash, although what do you have in mind, anything as a downgrade and I'll have to pass, thanks.

As I say, please state what you have.
  2. booyaka

booyaka Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,168
    If you decide to sell - let me know - would be very interested as I need a i7 but really need a m-atx board!!:thumbsup:

Sorry for crashing OP thread:blush:
  3. Useless_Help

Useless_Help New Member

Ratings:
    +146
    As I've offered it to the OP and he's gone with another, the offers there if you're interested!

Also have a Sapphire HD6870 1Gb boxed and complete, would want £140 on that.
  4. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Items recieved yesterday and started building today but as of yet Ive been unable to get the machine to boot to bios.
    It turns on, all fans and lights come on but no beeps and no output from GFX card. Definately not the card as Ive been using it all day in the other machine before building this and sawpped it back just now and still working ok.
    Any ideas to try before declaring either the cpu or mobo DOA? Im not sure what else it could be.
    Ive tried switching the ram around, and different configs with 2, 3, 4 and all 6 Ive also tried different RAM and no joy.
  5. Accylad

Accylad Active Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Have you tried re-setting the CMOS/BIOS - usually press a button or change the jumper settings then change them back again, have a look in the mobo instructions.

Worked for me in an identical situation
  6. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Just done a ClrRTC as per the mobo instructions. No difference and Ive just noted no power is getting to my mouse or keyboard through the USB sockets.
  7. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Glad you got everything so fast after I posted it, but very sorry to hear you cannot get the system to boot!! :( :(

Things to check: make sure you don't have any screws etc stuck behind your motherboard shorting it (been in that situation more than once!). Also if you can swap PSUs that would help as it could be a PSU problem rather than a mobo problem, again not unheard of as a problem causer. Check the CMOS battery is in its holder (it was vertical iirc?). You're sure you have the CPU in the right way? I doubt it would fit any other way, but might be a last thing to check (given that removing and refitting the hsf is always a bit of a task) and when you clear all the obvious things to check, the less obvious remain (as per Sherlock Holmes...). Also check the jumper for the CMOS reset is back in the 'non-reset' position. I don't recall there being any other jumpers of any import on the mobo; perhaps some for OCing options but I never OC'd anything on it and wouldn't have touched those. Lastly, make sure your Asus Q-connector is properly connected to your case buttons!

Those are the things I can think of to check. I can assure you all were working pulls and were properly stored when I upgraded. Do get back to me asap, if necessary I will refund you in full upon return of the items.

Once again, sorry you've had this experience; I know how horrible it is :(
  8. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    No screws behind, Ive taken the board out and put it on a box just in case it was a shorting issue.
    Ive changed the PSU, no change, board and fans still power up, but no beeps or output to the gfx. Used different ram and diffrerent combos of the OCZ ram...

Taken out and reinserted the battery, reseated the cpu, checked the jumpers, been starting the board from the on board button, but the case button worked when it was in the case.

Not sure what else to try now really. Someone mentioned the bios might not support my gfx card, but I dont have another to try out.
  9. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk Member

Ratings:
    +175
    It's not the graphics card. If that was the issue then you would either hear BIOS beeps or it would just run but you'd see nothing on the screen (and your keyboard and mouse would be drawing power, etc). Only thing you can try is a different CPU, if not you'll just have to return it to me :( PM me if it comes to that and I'll give you my address.
  10. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Does that mobo support i5 CPU's? I didnt think it did.
    I could try my i5 760 in there, but a bit cautious incase its the mobo and screws that one up too.
  11. John F

John F New Member

Ratings:
    +110
    No it does not, you will damage either the mb, cpu or both.
  12. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Didnt think so, don't have another cpu to try then.
  13. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
  14. PartyGirl

PartyGirl Member

Ratings:
    +56
  15. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk Member

Ratings:
    +175
    As I said, you can return it to me for a refund. Although I do have a spare i7 920 (which I was going to use for another project) so if you like, I can post that to you first so you can at least determine if it's the 930 at fault. If it is, keep the 920 and ship me the 930 back and if the system still won't boot ship me back everything. I appreciate that you've done everything that you can and I myself can't suggest anything else you can try.
  16. tcr4x4

tcr4x4 Member

Ratings:
    +71
    All items returned Via parcel force 24 as agreed with seller by PM.
  17. Accylad

Accylad Active Member

Ratings:
    +215
    If you are back in the market for an i5 etc. have a look at my for sale thread here