Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to build my own Valve amp...

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by number 8, Dec 23, 2008.

1. number 8

number 8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in building my own valve amp. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows anything....like which kit should I go for ? how many do I need to power my system ?...any advise at all is welcome.
    Cheers, Jon AKA number 8
  2. audiojunkie

audiojunkie Member

Ratings:
    +6
  3. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Here are a few more to look at.....the first thing to do is to be sure of your soldering abilities,and to ensure you have the right equipment to hand.

You'll need at least a decent digital multimeter,a temperature controlled soldering iron and a solder remover,plus a high silver content solder.

Also remember that the voltages inside a valve amp can kill,so take care.

Next,you need to decide what sort of power you would require,and then you will be able to make some sort of decision on which kit to buy.

If you need 10W or thereabouts,and have sensitive speakers with a reasonably easy load,then a 300B amp would be a nice choice,but if you need more,then something using EL34 or KT66/88 valves would be your best choice,and there are a number around which will produce up to 50W.

You can choose from integrated amps as well as pre/power amp combos,and the best advice is to do a lot of looking around before even thinking of buying.

I built a pair of WAD 300B amps a couple of years ago,and whilst not an overly complex design,you do need more than basic soldering skills,and the ability to check and re-check your wiring......during the build,there was one that myself and a properly trained engineer couldn't get going until we found the one tiny wire on one side of the circuit board that wasnt connected.

World Designs Amplifier Kits

Diy HiFi Supply | Take Control

Audio Note Kits - Welcome

Audio Note valve kits, Glasshouse valve amplifier and interconnect kits, Audio Note speaker kits and Tentlabs kit
  4. number 8

number 8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...well I've got two 150W studio monitor speakers and a NAD pre-amp but the more I hear about the skill levil needed to do this the more I think I might not be able to do this...
  5. number 8

number 8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    on closer inspection $3,000 is WAY beyond my budget aswell
  6. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    The vast majority of kits are well below that,and most come in below £1k if you choose carefully on components.

Soldering skills can quite easily be learned by starting off with a few bits of wire and some spare bits of circuit board,and if I can learn,then I'm sure most can!

The questions really do come down to deciding what you want,and then finding the right kit to do that with.