Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to connect speakers to my TV

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by sanctius, May 19, 2011.

1. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am simply trying to find a 'receiver' (please excuse my ignorance if I'm using the wrong terminology here) that takes one audio input, such as via an optical in, and does it's 'magic' so that I can have a 5.1 speaker setup connected.

I don't need video or audio switching, as my TV has more that enough inputs for me. I simply want TV -> Digital Audio Out -> [???] -> 5.1 Speakers. I've been lurking around on these forums for a while, trying to educate myself on amps, receivers, etc... but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
  2. Member 513627

Member 513627 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hello!

Where is the source of this 5.1 signal coming from? Sky?

edit: or do you want everything that is connected into your TV to then connect to your speakers?
    If so it would be an AV receiver that you need, you plug all your inputs into that and then output the video to your TV and the audio to your speakers.

Or do you want to use your digital out on your TV and run the audio signal directly from your TV?
    Tbh, it would be much better to use an AV receiver and do it the way I explained above.

Unless anybody knows of a different way of doing it?

Sorry for my barrage of questions :)
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,053
    As above a list of sources and a budget would help to recommend equipment? I would also add the following questions:
    Do you have space or want a separate reciever? What size/type of speakers do you want? Are there any other considerations or limitations?
  4. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The TV, and other devices (e.g. bluray, tivo, pc, etc..), via the TV. But not to confuse the matter, imagine I just had the TV, and nothing else, yet I wanted to setup a 5.1 speaker setup.
    Yes, I want to use the digital out on my TV and run the audio signal to a 'receiver' that connects to the speakers. Please help me understand your thoughts on why going through the receiver would be better?
    I think that I do need a separate receiver (since my TV does not have separate outputs for speakers, or even claim to decode any surround sound streams). I'm trying to keep it simple. I don't have a lot of room for the equipment as I need to keep it 'out of sight'. I actually have an older 'home theater in box' DVD player/receiver, that I could conceivably use, but it's over 16" deep, and I only have room for about 14".

I could purchase this YAMAHA RX-V467 hook it up to my TV via optical out, ignore the switching capabilities, and be happy. But if I don't need the "switching", is there a simpler device out there?

I have not done much research on the speakers yet. I'm still learning my way around speaker specifications. I was hoping to spend less that $400 on the receiver.
  5. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Some TV's do support connecting speakers to them. So unless your TV has that feature then you will need to buy a box to do the work for you. Some 5.1 kits have the amp built into the sub. So you don't need the amp box. The problems are that if you wanted to replace it in the future you would also have to buy another kit the same as the one you had before.

You need a source to provide the 5.1 material for your speakers. You can go from the device to your TV and then pull the audio to your amp. Your amp then feeds the speakers. You would connect the speakers to your amp and then connect the TV to your amp and your done.

TV > Amp > Speakers

You could also do the following.

Sound Source > Amp > Speakers

As you don't want video from your amp then why pull the audio from the TV ? Connect the source to the amp and away you go.

By doing the above it would allow you to watch TV and still have sound from another source. Say you had a party at home and wanted some music on but wanted something else on screen.
  6. dwhite

dwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,446
    Your assuming your tv will give you 5.1 output from externally connected devices, however not many televisions do this, some do it for Dolby digital but none do it for dts soundtracks.
  7. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,053
    To get HD audio from your blurays and hence get the best sound possible you need to connect it direct to the reciever via the HDMI. Also as above a lot of TVs do not passthrough full surround sound via the optical output so again this is why connecting them all to the reciever is really the best option.
  8. Member 513627

Member 513627 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    A receiver would be far more capable of handling true HD surround sound directly from the source material, rather than bottlenecking the signal through a TVs optical out.

You can have individual optimised settings for each source, giving you great control over how everything sounds for a start.
    As pixelpixel said, passing all your audio through your tv would limit yourself drastically to having to listen to whatever is on the TV at the time.

Out of curiosity, why are you reluctant to run all of your sources into an AV receiver first rather than the TV?

:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,823
    TV’s are not great as an AV Hub – especially if you’re trying to wire for ‘surround sound’.

The ‘usual’ way to achieve what you require is Source(s) > AV Receiver > TV (for video) plus AV Receiver > 5.1 Speaker array (for audio).

If you don’t want all of the required cables and Speaker chassis an alternative approach (assuming your room is suitable) is to go Source(s) > Digital Sound Projector > TV.

The Digital Sound Projector combines the function of the AV Receiver and 5.1 Speaker array into a single compact chassis that can be mounted below your TV.

Digital Sound Projector - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Joe
  10. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your input so far.

It just seemed like overkill, and I was trying to keep things simple (and significant other friendly). I will certainly get an AV receiver for my outdoor setup (where we do most of out movie watching), but just wanted better sound out of my TV inside without getting too complicated.
    Thanks, great points.

I think that for now, I'm going to try Devices --> TV <--> Samsung HT-C5500 --> Speakers

I'll see what I think and "move up" to a dedicated receiver if this is unsatisfactory. I do though, have to confirm that my TV passes through the audio 'without bottle-necking' before making a final decision.
  11. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    If you do get the samsung all in one you will be getting 5.1 from blurays and dvds played through it which is a good start, but the other devices passed through your tv will probably only give you stereo sound (depending on what tv you have).
  12. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have confirmed in my TV's (Samsung UN46C5000) manual that it will not pass-through 5.1 audio. What a waste of all those HDMI inputs! It seems that the TV is 'honest' and tells connected devices that it only has 2 speakers. The fact that an XBox 360 can be 'forced' to send 5.1, even when the TV says it only has 2 speakers, and it works, shows that this could be fixed via firmware, but samsung support says that it's working as designed. People have had luck placing a Gefen HDMI Detective between the device and the TV, but that's takes me away from the 'keep it simple' goal I initially had.

If i go the receiver route, would getting a CEC/Anynet+ capable model make it more 'spouse' friendly? Would I need to match brands for compatibility? Or will I have to purchase a $100 remote to make it all "seemless"?
  13. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,053
    The CEC/HDMI control function is often not very good so I would not bother with it. You best bet is to get a Logitech Harmony remote. This will not only work better but have more functionality and is no harder to use than the TV remote. Also allows one button switch on/off of all items etc.
  14. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
  15. Raj24v

Raj24v Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Sorry to hi-jack but if I wanted to just connect two speakers directly to the tv without any av receiver etc is this possible??
    Don't want any hd audio/5.1 either. Just the tv sound coming out of the two speakers in my desired location.

Is this easy to do...?

Thanks in advance.
  16. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,557

You cannot use passive speakers without an amplifier of some description. The amp is needed to power the speakers which are in themselves electrical devices. You could use line level audio output from a TV to active speakers. This would work because active speakers have their own inbuilt amplifiers and associated power supply.
  17. Raj24v

Raj24v Member

Ratings:
    +92
    What like PC speakers for example?
    My mate said the tv set has a 'headphone out' jack, can't I just use a pair of speakers designed to be plugged into a headphone socket (i.e. iPod speakers)??
  18. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to do this once and simply picked up a 'bookshelf' stereo at the local goodwill for $15. Most stereos have RCA or optical inputs, Which you have to connect to your tv's audio out (optical or RCA out, or worst case 'headphone jack').

Here is an example of a cheap amp you can use if you are not looking for too much power, and you tv has RCA audio outputs.
  19. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. iPod speakers are usually powered. Here is a cable you can use to connect to a stereo or amp.
  20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,823
    Sanctus – if Samsung ‘fixed’ its EDID to allow 5.1 their Tech Support dept. would have thousands of calls from folk saying they were hearing strange audio as all the dialogue was missing when Source kit auto selected to Output 5.1 via HDMI.

Joe
  21. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    You would need some sort of amplifier small stereo ones are available search eBay for a t amp

You could then connect the amp to either the headphone socket or ideally stereo RCA if available, or second best would be a scart out to RCA cable
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  22. sanctius

sanctius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine it would be buried in a menu setting where you would have to go look for and enable it.